Thread: Digging a lake for personal use - Advice please

Lightbulb Digging a lake for personal use - Advice please

Hi

I've just bought 4 acres of land, with the intention of creating a small venue for my own personal use.

Talking to two local companies, Im getting differing opinions.

One is saying - you dont need planning consent - the other is saying you do.

I've tried calling my local DC - and they want me to fill out a few forms etc - which I shall do.

But - does anyone know the actual stance on this?

The land is agricultural - its more than 10 meters from a local water course (small river) - I'll be digging this just for myself - I'll try and create something of around 2.5 acres. Obviously we want to stock a handful of prime carp in the future - but thats a year down the line at least, once the planting has finished and is established.

Any advice would be most welcome,

Thank you in advance
    VS
    They know us, we know them.

Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Humbers View Post
    Thanks - have read that already, its very good, but still not entirely sure.

Thanks

Frequent User

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualSalmon View Post
    Hi

I've just bought 4 acres of land, with the intention of creating a small venue for my own personal use.

Talking to two local companies, Im getting differing opinions.

One is saying - you dont need planning consent - the other is saying you do.

I've tried calling my local DC - and they want me to fill out a few forms etc - which I shall do.

But - does anyone know the actual stance on this?

The land is agricultural - its more than 10 meters from a local water course (small river) - I'll be digging this just for myself - I'll try and create something of around 2.5 acres. Obviously we want to stock a handful of prime carp in the future - but thats a year down the line at least, once the planting has finished and is established.

Any advice would be most welcome,

Thank you in advance
    VS
    You will need to be given the go ahead by planning, which may also include English nature highways agency etc.
    You will also need this background to stock any fish in the future.
    People still just dig and blag it but better to be safe than sorry

Beginner Member

You will need change of use on the land and full planning consent. You will have to dig test holes to see if it is suitable, all though you do have a water course nearby, but if you use this watercourse you need permission from the ea and a possible abstraction licence.

Thanks chaps.

Aware of using water from river, and the permission needed.

Change of use and planning seems the sensible route - thinking of the future, and stocking fish from reputable sources - we will need everything to be above board.

Thanks for the help!

There is or was a huge difference between a personal pond and one for commercial use!

The latter is a nightmare having dealt with that on as few occasions.

Ask Land & Water Services, Albury who can dig such ponds.
    Last edited by Olly1; 02-04-2016 at 12:55.

Frequent User

As mentioned above you will need a planning app for Change of Use. If you are digging a lake with machinery it is classed as 'Engineering works' which requires planning permission and is not permitted development.

My advice would be to draw up son=me basic plans and then get in touch with your local planning authority and ask for 'Pre-application Advice'. This is a cheaper option than a full application and they should advise if it is allowed. Things will depend if it is Green Belt land etc. Never tell them it is for a commercial fishery but that you want to create a lake for wildlife that will increase the biodiversity of the area. Once you get permission chuck in some Simmos and yer away.

Beginner Member

Do a search of planning applications for the county you are in and see how easy/hard the process went for them. I agree with the above make it for a private aminety lake.