Thread: keeping maggots fresh

Default keeping maggots fresh

I need to pick up a couple of pints of maggots tomorrow (Fri) to use on a session on Sunday to Tuesday. What is the best way to store them to keep them fresh? Will a sealed bucket be ok or will they sweat? Fridge/freezer is not an option unfortunately.

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Got in a state, bed by 8

they need air, so a bucket with holes in. do you have a cellar?

Elite (Bronze) Lea Valley Carper's Avatar

Lots of maize meal/sawdust/groundbait anything really to stop them sweating. If you've got say a gallon, divide them into four containers with holes in the lids. In the garage or somewhere cold.

Site Regular

Ah, this thread has just reminded me what's been in the boot of my car for over a month. Better release the flies!
    Lifes too short, you've got to live it long..

Quote Originally Posted by NoddiedUp View Post
    Ah, this thread has just reminded me what's been in the boot of my car for over a month. Better release the flies!
    Fly corpses lol
    Get you some of that!

Site Regular

I find putting them in a large plastic bag and drawing most of the air out and tying the bag in a knot to be the best method for a few days storage. Puts them in a coma type state and they don't sweat.

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ukcarponly View Post
    I find putting them in a large plastic bag and drawing most of the air out and tying the bag in a knot to be the best method for a few days storage. Puts them in a coma type state and they don't sweat.
    Hmmmm ... will try that next year as a comparative test ... anything that get's my half pint (only used for catching livebaits) beyond two weeks is an absolute bonus

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ukcarponly View Post
    I agree i used to do that all the time,but also keep then cold they last ages.

Quote Originally Posted by wrighty1 View Post
    I agree i used to do that all the time,but also keep then cold they last ages.
    Yep as above then put them in the fridge, i usually double bag them as some always escaped through the knot into the fridge (not ideal)
    This spring i was buying large amounts for my Tench fishing and asked my tackle shop to seal them in a heat sealed plastic bag ( like the ones boilies come in)
    Dont panic if they look dead once opened as they take a while to 'wake up', i have kept them like this for over a week in the fridge.
    Neil

The sealed in a bag method keeps em in good nick for weeks in a fridge. I've never had an issue with them escaping through the bag knot, it's important to get all the air out of the bag though before tieing it up

Cheers Gents
    Got in a state, bed by 8