Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw poll - ads

Pottsville. Without income the forum will not survive anyway, so the question is do the members want it to survive? If so you'll unfortunately have to put up with the ads, we've held off for two years now but it's no longer viable to do so.

Then do the decent thing and warn us or talk to us, so much for "your opinion counts"

tell us how much etc and guage opinion??? you wont be admin if the site dies on it feet, how much will your adverts be worth then???
    It aint the size of your rod, its how you dangle it in the water !

At least make the ads unobtrusive.

It's more advert/junk than forum!
    Cornish Ben, King of the Pasties

For those of you using mobile devices such as iPads or IPhones, have you tried accessing the forum via ForumRunner. Much easier to use and no ads!

Actually,make a donation account, I'll gladly bung a tenner to get rid of this stuff and that's cconsiderably more than you will get from me pay per click.

Unfortunately Mr bump, these are the advert sizes fixed by Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    For those of you using mobile devices such as iPads or IPhones, have you tried accessing the forum via ForumRunner. Much easier to use and no ads!
    Classic.

No ads cos it's not free!

And surely is bypassing the ads will take money from your pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Unfortunately Mr bump, these are the advert sizes fixed by Google.
    Well I've seen many Google ads and none are this big.

Mr bump. Really appreciate the offer, however I fear you'd be one of a small minority. Even with the income form advertising we will still be running an annual loss. All we're trying to do is find a way to reduce that loss so that we can keep the forum running.

Mr Bump. I wasn't aware the app cost money, that's nothing to do with us and we don't get any money from any purchases of the app. Is it less than the £10 you are happy to contribute? Yes we will loose revenue if people use the app but all I'm trying to do is find a happy medium and make suggestions that will help.
    Last edited by Administrator; 23-01-2015 at 20:27.

I'm just waiting for this place to be named during divorce proceedings.

I hate to think how many members will have Russian brides and other dubious Google adverts that their better halves will soon complain about as none of them are aware of incognito out in-private.

If none of this is going to cover costs surely a happy membership is better than no membership?

Make the classifieds a fiver a year to advertise, a tenner even. Easy money.

I'll reinstall adblock but it won't return the wasted 40% on the right of the screen.

Looks like Carpy & the kiddie forum might be getting an unexpected influx of new members !!
    52% er !!

"During times of Universal deceit, telling the Truth becomes a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Pottsville I think your missing the point. If there is no forum there's no cost and therefore it doesn't matter that the ads won't be worth anything. This isn't about making money, it's simpy about covering costs.

As Baity said, us Carpy members pay for the forum.
    Angling Trust Number 55370

Mr Bump. The adverts appear to be abased on your browsing trends. I'm not getting any Russian brides, I've got a Kia advert, one for a lake and DVDs at Amazon. Not sure what sites your visiting but I'd be worrying more about my browser history than an advert on a fishing forum if they were the ads I was getting ;-)

"Admin" i am not missing the point, i am making one. You want the forum to survive, be open and honest. You want us to accept the ads and keep the forum alive, then prove we need the ads? publish some accounts? give options?

Or are you just going to ban those who disagree like usual?
    It aint the size of your rod, its how you dangle it in the water !

It's not the ads that are the issue it's the fact they take up half of the screen space !!
    52% er !!

"During times of Universal deceit, telling the Truth becomes a revolutionary act."

George Orwell

Pottsville - I have never banned anyone! In fact all I have ever done for this forum is pay for it so that people like you have a place to share information with other like minded people. There genuinely in NO benefit to me whatsoever in running this forum. In the same way as I run a carp fishery that costs me every year, I do it for the love of fishing and hopefully to put something back into a pass-time I've enjoyed for 35 years. If you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain!
    Last edited by Administrator; 23-01-2015 at 20:48.
    Gareth
    Technical Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by msc 63 View Post
    It's not the ads that are the issue it's the fact they take up half of the screen space !!
    What he said ....
    As for ads,
    ive got Russians, Thais and mature Russians as well as a dungeons and dragons dungeon masters guide in hardback, oh and Brittany Ferries!