Thread: Shimano Invisi-Mess

Default Shimano Invisi-Mess

Hello

Maybe I have just had an unlucky spool - but this stuff was a nightmare.

Did anyone else have any issues with Invisitech?

Loaded the same way I have loaded my line for years, noticed it was twisting badly right off the spool. After a few yards came off the twist seemed to get worse and worse - to a point where it was twisting so hard around itself the line actually looked irrecoverable, and almost damaged.

Have added a few pictures to show what I mean.

Any feedback appreciated, think I will just send this back to the shop to be honest.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    They know us, we know them.

Ive never had that problem with Invisitec or black version. Probably a dodgy spool, but have you tried turning the spool over amd seeing of the twist improves ??
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Frequent User

I have the camo version it's twisting really bad now, shame as I first thought it was good line, the way it sinks and that.
    Also half grinner does not really work with it.
    Ok with palomar though

You dont mention what method you are using to load your spools?
    Cornish Ben, King of the Pasties

Yep - tried turning the spool over. Made no difference and to be honest it isn't really an issue with how it is loaded in regards to it coming off the reel in a twisted mess - it is literally peeling off the invisitec spool in a horrid twisted mess.

Gently pulling some line from the spool and it simply spring offs and starts wrapping around itself quite violently.

It must just be an unlucky spool which was wound on at the factory with some horrible twist.

Think I will send it to shimano and see if they can exchange it for me.

I load my line as follows - soak for a few hours in water - then pass line through my fingers under slight pressure. As I first take a few yards, I'll stop and see if it curls over at the butt ring - is so will turn the spool over and try a few yards from the other direction. But as mentioned - the problem is horrible twist right from the invisitec spool once tension is released a little.

Quite like the old loading through a phone book technique too to create a bit of tension - but didn't get the chance this time...

If its twisting off the spool as you say and not the reel spool then its clearly been loaded wrong somehow in the factory.

Yours will not be the only spool like this so Shimano shouldnt have a problem replacing it for you.

Cool - thanks bump

Worked in an extrusion plant for 10 years, it's a loading error at source. Can be re-spooled at the factory incorrectly from a bulk reel to your small spool. To save the headache, exercise some customer service courtesy of Shimano. I like the black Technium very much, not used the invisitec but know friends who have, and they rate it highly too.

If you can't wait, attempt loading it with a pencil through spool, which is wrong anyway, but would at least get it on your reels. If you then walked it out on a football field and rewound the line through a tea towel (with nothing on the end) the twist would go, Shaun Harrison tip...

If you can hold on, get another spool, as you should have untwisted line in the first place as it's not the cheapest line!

JP.
    It's good to know who hates you, and it's good to be hated by the right people - Johnny Cash.

Thanks JP that's awesome - top tip there.

Just take back to shop you bought from and get exchanged

I was told by a guy that laid cables across the oceans for a living that all line/cables had to be taken off of their spools the same way they were put on and that bulk spools were never loaded from the ends.
    Since that day over thirty years ago I've always used an axle for the spool to spin on when loading new line from a bulk spool and have never suffered from line twist.

Quote Originally Posted by essexandy View Post
    I was told by a guy that laid cables across the oceans for a living that all line/cables had to be taken off of their spools the same way they were put on and that bulk spools were never loaded from the ends.
    Since that day over thirty years ago I've always used an axle for the spool to spin on when loading new line from a bulk spool and have never suffered from line twist.
    Thats all well and good and sound advice but we are not laying cables or removing line from a spool, we are transferring it.

In that transfer the line goes through a 90 degree roller and a twisting motion, you will suffer from twist unless you remove it from the spool in the same manner it is to be applied on to the reel. Your friend even told you that the way you are loading your reels is wrong

Guess it depends on how the manufacturer loads the spool. Basically you have to do the same but in reverse.

Yes I'd send it back and ask advice as to how to load your spools.

Turnfords used to use a motorised line loading device whereby the reel spool and line spool where parallel. It was great as long as that's how the manufacturer spooled it up.

Its just a dodgy batch!.. He don't need advice on loading spool of line. Technium is no different to any other mono in that respect.