Thread: Delkim's making an odd sound...

Question Delkim's making an odd sound...

Hello

At 7am this morning, just after a torrential downpour began, one of my Delk's started making a strange noise...It began with very rapid beeps, which made me hop out of my warm cosy bag into the rain - i noticed the bobbins were still, and the tip was also still - then the beeping began to slow down, gradually...Then it stopped after about 3 mins...10 mins later it started beeping at regular intervals - one beep every second or so, continuously. I had to switch it off, as it did not stop for 20 mins or so...

I've taken the battery cover off, which was as securely seated as possible at the lake, and have seen some water ingress.

Upon trying the delk again at home it seems fine.

Can anyone explain what this was about?

Thanks
    VS
    They know us, we know them.

Sounds like water has got in and is causing you issues. Has sorted its self out once it has dried out, but will let water in again if you dont find the leak

Thanks Tom

Any idea on where they usually or can leak? Pretty sure the battery cover was nailed in deep...Maybe I need to add some tape over the cover...?!

Just get in contact with delkim and they'll repair it I had a problem with one a couple of years ago and they were really good only cost 15 quid cos was still under the 2 year warranty so just paid the postage. I think if you tamper with it they won't touch it. So I would try them before you try mate.

Thanks Jamie - Will give them a bell tomorrow then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie12345 View Post
    Just get in contact with delkim and they'll repair it I had a problem with one a couple of years ago and they were really good only cost 15 quid cos was still under the 2 year warranty so just paid the postage. I think if you tamper with it they won't touch it. So I would try them before you try mate.
    The screw points are secured by a rubber/wax cover if they have been removed then I believe Delkim won't take responsibility
    Heres to a healthy and safe 2012

Just get it back to delkim, have always found their customer service spot on and turn around times very good....

You will get water ingress in Delks it's a simple flaw in design, you will also find most alarms will suffer condensation especially if you have warm days followed by cold nights especially wet ones!! Delk will re-seal it.
    Carpe diem

Elite (Bronze) Lea Valley Carper's Avatar

That's why I've ended up with Nevs. Too many buzzers don't like prolonged exposure to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by stark735 View Post
    You will get water ingress in Delks it's a simple flaw in design, you will also find most alarms will suffer condensation especially if you have warm days followed by cold nights especially wet ones!! Delk will re-seal it.
    So is it a flaw or that the seal has gone. Do you think the seal is the flaw?

Elite (Bronze)

sure it wasnt a ghosty

I believe it's a design flaw where the twitch sensor is, simple cure is a little blob of Vaseline down the gap with a cotton bud
    Carpe diem

Frequent User

Black silicone sealant may be worth a quick try having given them an overnighter in the airing cupboard. Must say it's been a while since I heard my delkims make any noise