Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare tiger nuts

Site Connoisseur

Default How to prepare tiger nuts

Hi just wondering if someone could tell me how to prepare tiger nuts also does the same apply to most other nuts.

cheers in advance
    daz
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead....

have a look on ccmoores web site they have a list of all particle baits and prep times http://www.ccmoore.com/

Soak them for 24hrs, simmer them in their own water for half an hour or so, making sure they are cooked through. Seal them in a bucket, some add mollasses or sugar or any other sweetners and leave for a while, some like to use them fresh, I prefer them to ferment for atleast 4months.

use brown sugar if you want them to go slimmey

I have also used a small amount of molasses and normal white Sugar and the fermenting process has taken care of the slime, thery will slime up purely on their own natural sugars...

oh rite i got told to use brown sugar and that they slim up in a week or two although mine seem to take 3-4 weeks to slime up. i will have to remember the molasses next time

Not sure if Molasses will effect the fermenting process to much mate, just a natural sweetner, nice and gooey as well (tech termanology)

tried some demerara (spelling) sugar the other week and it went like a gloopy caramel and very sticky

cool, what ever works for you mate. Daz, aslong as they have been thourahly soaked and bolied for a good half hour then you will be ok

Frequent User

How much sugar would you use to say a kilo of nuts and do you put it in during the soaking process or after they have been boiled?

basically what I do personally is that I use about quater of a pint of molasses to about 4kg's and dilute it in boiling water to make sure it will disperse evenly and use that liquid to soak them in... I then boil them in the same water adding about 3table spoons of sugar, then let them cool slowly, then put them in a bucket whilst still luke warm and keep them sealed for a good few days, but as I say I leave mine for about 3/4 months minumium befor I use them

I soak for 24, simmer for 30 mins in the same water then lob the lot in a cool box with a sprinkling of sugar! Nowhere near as good as the dynamite ones though...

a bit off subject but I like my nuts no more than a week old when they just start to go gooey, I then find that they go sweet/rancid after this. I did however see a really small plastic pot of tigers the other day (about 2 handfuls) and they said they stay fresh even when opened, hows that?

I know the tins and dynamite ones are cooked in the tin / cans and once opened last a week tops (IMO) so how do they shelf life them? The container wasn't air tight, they were still damp and glistened (but there was no liquid / goo) so how they do it?
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

i seem to do mine differently as i soak mine for 48hrs then boil them in the same water for 40mins then chuck the lot in a bucket and then add the brown sugar put the lid on and leave for as long as it takes them to slime up. i base the amounts on dry weights and add 1/3 of a small bag of brown sugar to 1kg of dry tigers but obviously add the sugar after boiling.

Site Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rperry View Post
    I soak for 24, simmer for 30 mins in the same water then lob the lot in a cool box with a sprinkling of sugar! Nowhere near as good as the dynamite ones though...

a bit off subject but I like my nuts no more than a week old when they just start to go gooey, I then find that they go sweet/rancid after this. I did however see a really small plastic pot of tigers the other day (about 2 handfuls) and they said they stay fresh even when opened, hows that?

I know the tins and dynamite ones are cooked in the tin / cans and once opened last a week tops (IMO) so how do they shelf life them? The container wasn't air tight, they were still damp and glistened (but there was no liquid / goo) so how they do it?
    Replace the water with an oil or other non water based liquid perhaps?

i think its cotswold baits that do pva friendly tigers and they look as if they have been cooked in some kind of oil but imo dont smell off tigers

Elite (Bronze)

I think NicB should write the next book.... Thicky's done it... Now you Nic!

I put in 8ozs of sugar from the start, mix the sugar with boiled water and cover the nuts leave soaking for 48hrs then add any flavour, then cook for around 45mins, place in air tight container and leave for a week or two,this has caught me a few inc 40+ from a French venue

Frequent User

I soak the tigers for about 5 days, changing the water after 3 days to stop them going off. I've found that the usual advice of soaking for 24 hours to be too short a time....the nuts are still wrinkly and haven't swelled up fully after 24 hours...at least 3 days needed IMO.

I then boil for 40 minutes and then add sugar and leave in a sealed bucket until slimy, which usually happens after about a week. I then divide up into small batches and freeze.

I'm interested in giving the molasses a go, a natural sweetner may be better?

No need for any additives mate,after cooking just seal them up and wait a week,as soon as they start smelling like a strong cider there ready,if you really want to add something try honey or golden syrup, but you better add it when there fresh from cooking,dissolves better.i.e warm water.
    Last edited by LIP; 18-01-2008 at 21:47. Reason: p,s and q,s
    Never argue with stupid people,they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

coco cola sssshhhhhhhh
    pink is not a colour
    its a attitude