Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zig rigs in winter ?

Default Zig rigs in winter ?

In light of a post i read yesterday about someone using an echo sounder in winter and discovering that some fish tend to congregate in mid water, i pondered on the thought of zig rigs / polaris rigs used in winter.

I know of no one that has tried this or any validity to this subject and was wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on the subject ?

General concensus is that fish stay fairly low in the depths for the warmer layers in winter but is this typical for all carp and all waters ?

G

Default Re: Zig rigs in winter ?

I've noticed fish hanging mid water when it's cold in my pond. They seem to congregate mid water rather motionless!

I dont think zigging is really gonna pay because this behaviour rarely coincides with any kind of feeding! Could be wrong of course! I just think the fish will feed on the bottom during slightly warmer spells....

[ QUOTE ]
    General concensus is that fish stay fairly low in the depths for the warmer layers in winter

[/ QUOTE ]
    Who's general consensus is that then . . . . ?

Ever heard of a thermocline . . . . . ?

It's a well known fact that carp tend to lie up above the deep water in most winters. Seen the evidence on the echo sounders and by watching the fish many, many times.

Zigs have been used with good effect on many waters, during winter, for many a year

Don't be shy . . . . give 'em a try

surely on a sunny day there must be balance between the warmth of the lower layers and the warmth of the upper layers due to the sun??

ie if the sun penetrates the upper levels the most but this starts off the coldest this only achieves a lowish temperature

if sun does not penetrate the lower layers the temp will not change

if the sun penetrates the middle layers where it starts off moderately warm this could achieve the highest temps???????

thoughts???

Site Regular

Zigs offer a good chance in Winter yes, certainly worth a go, But we have 2 months at least to go yet

In winter a lot of these mid water fish are torpid fish - so do youfish for these or for their active brethren

Thats what I was getting at in a round-a-bout way!

Site Regular

Torpid for me

Site Regular

On a lake I fished for a bit last year I was casting out with a light lead, until I started bumping it off the tightly shoaled carps backs, and then sticking two zigs at various levels in that spot. Had a few doing that on high pressure, sunny days.

'tis a good point Lew and one worth remembering, however, even if one of the group is active'ish and catchable then surely it's worth the effort.

I'f I know there's a group of them 'hanging around' then I would most likely put at least one rod on them . . . . with a zig or similar.

I've done a few on Zigs over the winter months so I wouldnt take the fact that they are laid up as they are all not up for an oppertunistic munch if it was presented to them nicely.

the general rule that i have found using thecho sounder are the carp about 1/2 the depth of the water, ie 12' then the carp would be about 6' off the bottom.

am not saying that all the carp are at that depth, some could be on the bottom or near to the top, but 75% of the time which i have done in winter the carp have been 1/2 way.

some of the carp can be found in shoals, on the lakes i have done this in max of 4), but this is due to the stocking levels. in some cases i have seen carp in 4' in the middle of the night (opps ) when using the echo sounders, and some times on the same lake the carp could not be found in the same areas the previous week, where they went i have no idea.

of course when weed is involve, this balance does change slightly.

I can't see why Zigs won't work in the winter if the fish are in mid water as I think they take a bait off a zig out of curiosity more than because they are looking to feed

Platinum

So would a fluro work better than a normal coloured bait?

ive seen a couple of articles saying that dark baits work best.Ian macmillan I think uses black foam on zig rigs in the night and catches well on them.

Platinum

Black foam at night, laced with some sort of attractant I assume.

I've read articles saying the opposite, ie bright is best. I really don't think it matters that much - try both! It's just the fact there is this thing floating and they just think "WTF is that!" munch!

no just plain black foam.Personally have caught on balsa wood, cork, pop ups & foam.Nick Helleur also wrote some articles about zig rigs not so long ago was shaping cork balls to look like water snails.

Site Connoisseur

I could be wrong but I think there is a significant temperature barrier at 8' depth or thereabouts, and I have always used 8' as a rough guide for zigging in winter. I tend to try to get the bait just above this temperature change level, the theory being that the fish will sit as deep as they can without going into the colder depths. Had a bit of luck fishing 7' or 6' deep over significantly deeper areas. Always with dark baits - more visible from below.

3 grains of black popup corn looks very like a snail. i have seen many fish from the boat cruising the mid / upper layers in the depths of winter using the glass bottomed bucket. from my experience, if they are moving about, they will be up for some food eventually. it depends on the day / venue but i wouldnt rule zigs out at all....

there are some very good points made on this thread.

**sam**

[ QUOTE ]
    if they are moving about, they will be up for some food eventually

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's the key to using zigs in winter. Find where they are moving and you are always up with a chance of picking one off.

One of the lakes I fish is over 20' deep in places and quite often the fish are hanging above this in around 6' of the upper layers. Presenting zigs in these situations takes a bit of thinking and messing about but there are ways and means . . . suss that and you may have big edge over those fishing only on the bottom

Lots of lakes seem to 'switch off' over the colder months . . . . but do they really or have the fish just adjusted their habits and patterns to suit. The carp will surely tend to reside in the depths/areas in which they are most comfortable.

My own view on this is that we, the anglers, must change our tactics to suit the conditions and what works well in the warmer months is not necessarily the best approach in the colder ones.