Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double hook rigs.

Beginner Member

Default double hook rigs.

Are double hook rigs allowed on rmc waters .

Elite (Silver)

Default Re: double hook rigs.

Just found this quote from Ian Welch (boss of RMC):

Double hook rigs, with the exception of appropriate pike traces, are banned on all RMC Angling waters

Beginner Member

Thnx for the reply my feelings entirely it is just that in the july edition
    of C.A.T. a well known allround angler has written an article on tench
    & bream fishing at fishers green in which he goes into great detail
    describing the double hook rig he uses on the complex complete with lead core.
    Thought the rules had been changed obviously not.

Also watched a John Wilson programme when he was after Tench using a double hook rig. Maggot on one hook and something else on the other. Personally think they should all be banned. in fact I thought it was illegal to use double hook rigs any where in the country.

if its not illegal it should be!

Double hook rigs are bad enough but what about this multi-bait rig Frank Warwick is using!

An outside of the mouth hooker if ever i've seen one!

Frequent User

I can`t understand why any one would want to promote fishing with two hooks.One can only imagine the outcome if two fish picked the baits up at the same time dosn`t bare thinking about

think we should be more worried that the same fish gets a hook in each lip dave,if the fish was then lost due to the line parting then you could end up with a fish swimming round with its mouth stitched up,im surprised that it was actually allowed to be written about in a mag tho

Site Connoisseur

Seen this a couple of times now, Matt Hayes did the same:

Small barbless hook tied as a hair on the shank of a larger hook, the smaller hook purely being to hold the bait onto the other hook (eg mggots)

Not sure if this is a 'pure' two hook rig as the 'bait' hook was so small, and tied using very light mono

Still wouldn't use it meself tho

Elite (Bronze)

theres know problem with the multi bait rig as it only involves one hook so cant cause any damage to fish

Site Regular

<<Small barbless hook tied as a hair on the shank of a larger hook,>> There is a commercially available version of this hook, I forget what they are called though. Quite useful for livebaiting with a single hook rather than treble.

Double hook rigs have been used for many years by bream and tench anglers, generally without causing any problems.

I myself regularily used them in the 70's often catching multiple fish and whilst doing so never really caused any problems either. A little exciting at the landing net sometimes but we managed quite well without damaging any fish.

Strikes me that a lot of people get on the 'moral high ground' as soon as carp are concerned and forget or are unaware of what has gone before and what was perfectly acceptable in a number of branches of angling.

I agree, these days, that double hook rigs are no longer acceptable to many, myself included, but having been guilty of using them myself then I have to state my experiences of their use. Seems that only carp anglers really complain about them yet we are all perfectly happy to stick bloody great hooks into their mouths, tied to immensely strong leaders, that the fish could never escape from in the event of breakage/snagging without causing considerable mouth damage to themselves.

Strikes me that the probabilty of this happening is far more likely than damage caused by the use of a simple two hook paternoster rig by your average bream/tench angler with their associated small hooks and light lines.

Another one to ponder, on mixed fisheries that also hold fair sized carp, how many times have you had to remove several small coarse fishing rigs, lengths of mono etc. . . . I certainly have plenty of times . . . !!!

So what do we do, ban all fishing other than carp fishing.

Each to their own guys and sensible use of the tackle/rigs always causes less problems at the end of the day.

We should educate and not condem . . . . before we start to look like we are nothing but a load of hypocrites.

Doesn't a double hook rig increase tangles as well as increasing in bad presentation? Surely this is not allowed anywhere in the country. It not only sounds ridiculous but why would you want to use it?

Also can I add, when a fish is hooked on one hook the other is exposed which could lead to fish damage!

Frequent User

Absolute nonsense.
    I've been using two hooklengths for years without any undue problems,
    two small baited trebles - size tens- completes the setup.

Oh Yeah - forget to mention Pike rigs . . . but folk don't usually go off on one about them.

Agreed, there is a risk of double hooking with any rig containing two or more hooks and I would never use one for fish as strong and powerfull as a large carp, of for that matter I wouldn't advise there use on waters containing large carp . . . . but as pointed out above, we do use multi-hook rigs when pike fishing . . . so what's the difference . . . ?

Frequent User

I was on about carp.
    One with a standard bottom bait and the other with a little popup.
    Keep the pike stuff to the non-existant 'predator section' please.

[ QUOTE ]
    I was on about carp

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you wouldn't be the first - but if you are serious you most definately would not be welcome on our carp waters.

Point I'm making is double hook rigs are acceptable for some species but not others . . . . so what really is the difference.

Site Regular

A few of the lads on my local water use double hook rigs,for the tench and bream,i never do,as i find its more trouble than its worth,tangling occasionally,catching in snags,and losing fish for you(at least thats what's happened to them)
    I have a question reouble hook rigs,if you are fishing 3 rods,you should have 2 licences,but surely they don't cover 6 hooks,do they?
    Or should/could we have 4 hook rigs,and fish 12 baits,i know i'm being pedantic,but where does it end? Personally i would ban them EVERYWHERE! The main reason being for the good of our quarry,nuff said!

Site Connoisseur

Not an issue mate- they ar e quite specifically ROD licences...