Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadwater

Default Broadwater

had a wander/hike around on sunday,thinking of a future angle,peace quiet and a magnificent looking pond,question is,are there carp??doubt sir pete would angle there if not,probably not many i would imagine?any off you know more about it?

Frequent User

Default Re: Broadwater

Do you realy think somebody is going to tell you about that place in public?

Hope you like to walk and have a good pair of eyes as its a big old pit.

Elite (Bronze)

Good luck mate, me thinks your gonna need it !
    Broadwater ain't for the faint hearted. Real hardcore stuff.
    Sir Pete has dabbled on and off for many a year, and as far as i know, apart from very large bream and a few double commons he hasn't had anything. Although Mr. Broxup told me about 5yrs ago that Sir Pete has seen a few larger ones but no monsters.

Make sure you travel light, thats some walk round if you do spot fish on the other side!

Site Regular

Good luck indeed mate.

I have often thought about fishing it myself but just never have the time or the balls! They have a bit of a crayfish problem on there at the moment as well.

I used to walk around it a few times a few years back but only saw fish on few occasions, and Im sure they were the same group of small commons (biggest upper double) that I saw on the few occasions. I'm sure there must be something in there, it is a cracking lake! A very daunting prospect me thinks.

By the way, I think Pete S was snotty bashing?!

not sure about the snotty bashin,just know he does a bit there,a fine lookin lake.got to be a few in there,after all they are everywhere else in the valley..the unknown motivates me more than the known

I'm fortunate to have a Broadwater ticket and spent a good few hours with Pete. Whats wiv the 'sir' thing? more like pikey Pete when he's up at my camp scrounging a coffee. Have seen from out in the boat and from the bank some whacking kippers. Big Big water. I spend a fair bit of time on it and very very occasionally i see these fish.

Pete spends his time on there after the Bream, and he's naff at catching them, bless, stick to the Carp i keep telling him.

Frequent User

I did not think a boat was allowed there.

Also remember no night fishing I beilieve.

Your eyes will tell you everything

The lake its self has two clubs controling it. Colne bank and canal bank, depends what bank your fishing from.

Site Regular

Shhhh!!!

Frequent User

You have a pm mate

Frequent User

Nelson (Harefield) is definately in there.

i think little pecs might even be in there as well.

Frequent User

Unfortunately todays Harefield is a pale shadow of its former glorious self.What, with 'removals' and 'potfishers' by the 'shady european members'.

Theres still some fantastic fish in there though.The Fully Scaled and The Chinese Common (but it might be The Willow Common), hell it could still be both! amongst others.

been walking around there for the last couple of years and this year im going to do some time on there seen a few big fish i think it could still do 2/3 40's this year.

josh

Elite (Silver)

Just a couple of points boys.

Nelson is dead. THAT IS FACT as Dougal buried her.

Broadwater (Of which i have a ticket for the last 5 years) has not got any whackers in it by todays standards, maybe a couple of 30's but not much more than that in 100 acres.

Hope this helps

Frequent User

Won't help Nelson none, I bet he wishes he was STILL in Broadwater then.

Like I ssy you've still got the Fully Scaled and at least one of the commons,if not both maybe.

Frequent User

A bit of history for you. I fished Broadwater hard during the spring and summer of 1989 following an extensive pre-baiting campaign through the close season. At the time, there were rumours that a mid/upper 30 had been caught several years beforeÂ… a very big fish at that time. I was unable to substantiate that this fish had ever been caught. At the time, no one had ever seriously carp fished it to my knowledge and I never saw anyone else there apart from some of my mates who were mainly tench fishing.
    I saw a couple of fish which IÂ’d put at mid 20s plus a few doubles and singles.. mostly commons but a few mirrors too. Sightings of fish were pretty few and far between. I had 14-4 common off the top on 16th June and blanked all the way thereafter until well into the autumn. My conclusion then was that there were only a few carp in the lake and probably very few, or no bigguns.
    One of my friends lost what he swore was a record size tench and sightings of very big bream were common.

How big would a 20 in 89 be now in a totally unpressured low stock venue???

Thats promising for those interested now....

Site Regular

You need some giant sized testicals to go for them fish plus a lot of time on your hands!

Good luck to whoever tries! My life is to short for Broadwater though unfortunatley and I am a mere 25 years of age!

Now the lake next door is alot more interesting, I wonder who has got the lease for it next year????

Frequent User

dah dah daaaaaahhh
    could it be the 'Old Dampeners Ploy'

Who knows how big any fish in there could be, for starters theres 20 pound bream swimming about in there (oooh who said that)

All I'm saying is that many years ago some bloke was delighted he had got a ticket for Harefield, and was fishing the Causeway, and said how much he would love to get Nelson, only to get the reply
    "you're facing the wrong way if you wanna get that one mate"