Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Special Album

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Also, Re Chris's "special album", I know for a fact that he has a "Special, Special Album" and that a picture I took is in that as well. He doesn't usully carry that album about with him but keeps it next to his bed.

You know the one I'm on about Mr Ball.
    Steady, I know it’s Friday. Ah... happy days!

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchy View Post
    Chris,

Any chance of putting up the carp feeding on a floater you have in your article in this months CW please?

An amazing pic, why they put the pic in so small i'll never know.

Joe
    Joe,
    Here you go, picture ‘Jack’ at Horton circ 1990. When Jim Foster came to do the ‘Interview’ for this month Carpworld he went on and on about this picture, and coming from a good photographer (himself) I was really flattered.

what a fantastic picture
    IM A MUPPET

Classic photo Chris , hope all's good with you mate .

Thats one of those Iconic Carp angling photo's a true history picture.
    Need Printing send PM
    Stoney & Friends

Site Regular

Thanks Lads...
    As promised, another photo from the Special album coming early next week. Maybe something from an old estate lake might be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBall View Post
    Joe,
    Here you go, picture ‘Jack’ at Horton circ 1990. When Jim Foster came to do the ‘Interview’ for this month Carpworld he went on and on about this picture, and coming from a good photographer (himself) I was really flattered.

nice work Chris, there is a picture in the lodge of Tetley(i'm sure) holding Jack , its gotta be one of the best looking carp i've ever seen, awsome
    we know what we are...we know what we are...we're THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE...we know what we are !!!

Can almost hear the slurp...!!

Regards Tad.

Site Regular

The best water shot ever Chris....

Out of interest, did you get any royalties for that leslies ad?!

Site Regular

Cant even start to think what it was like for you Chris when you pressed the shutter! amazing image! bravo

What a shot, wow.
    And how the hell did u pick up a camera and not a rod!!

That Mr Ball is one cracking photo hats off to you!!!!

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by T22 View Post
    What a shot, wow.
    And how the hell did u pick up a camera and not a rod!!
    I think it was in the old close season
    BCSG/ECHO

Truly amazing shot Chris....hope the rivers serving you well sir?

..Shaun J.
    Regards
    Jarvo

Thank you for sharing that Chris.
    Maybe its because i'm a londoner ©

Site Regular

Default The Special Album

It was 30-years ago today...

The 16th June 1980 was a pretty special day in the annals of carp fishing. On opening day three individual anglers on three different lakes landed fish from famous waters.
    The first was me! I fished the opening of the 1980/1 season at Yateley Match Lake - then a little known and fished venue, in fact the evening before the off only two other cars were in the car park. By 6.30am opening morning I’d been fortunate to land a brace of twenty-pounders on Red Kidney beans.
    This was at a time when the availability of vegetable pulses in bulk hadn’t been that exploited (well I certainly had not thought of going to a grain merchant’s warehouse, etc). The Red Kidney beans I used (and baited up with) were straight out of a Sainsbury’s can. I’d make sure my wife would pick up half a dozen cans on the weekly shop. No hair rig, Bruce Ashby 11ft fibreglass rods, Cardinal 55 reels and Chris Seager hand-made bite alarms (these were beauties.)

Andy Little
    The formation of a syndicate on the Redlands owned Savay Lake was a new departure and meant Ruislip Angling Society members no longer had exclusive use of the lake, through they retained the aptly named ‘Ruislip Island.’
    The secret world of carp fishing, as it was then, meant few people got to hear of the creation of a carp syndicate that came to light in the winter of 1979/80. However, some pretty important people within carp fishing got their chance, the likes of Rod Hutchinson, Len Middleton, Kevin Maddocks, Geoff Kemp, Albert Romp, Bob Baker and of course Andy Little.
    The ‘softly softly’ particle bait approach of long-time successful Ruislip club member Mike Wilson, who also joined the syndicate that year, was to receive a shock as the likes of Andy Little and others bombarded the Savay carp with boilies and fished at long range.
    Andy arrived on the 15th and only just got a swim as everyone was so keen (and early). However, it was the swim he wanted. Though his 31lb 12oz mirror wasn’t the first he landed from the water, it was the first banked on the actual 16th.
    Andy revealed many years later that around 11 o’clock he heard others cast out and set their bite indicators, he waited a little longer then cast out too. Before 12 midnight he’d already banked two fish! The run that produced the cracking 31lb 12oz mirror came at 3.00am on the 16th.

Chris Yates
    By the 1980 season Chris Yates was an ‘old hand’ at Redmire having fished for number of seasons catching plenty of carp including some real whackers.
    One fish which he and the rest of the Redmire syndicate knew well had appeared to have grown substantially since the back-to-back drought years of ’75 and ’76. By 1979 Chris knew it was a record breaker (remember the record at the time was still Dick Walker’s 44-pounder.) During the evening of the 16th June 1980 Chris again visited the Redmire shallows and spied...‘five carp feeding, one a five-pounder, three twenty-pounders and the other was like a sunken rowing boat.’
    Three grains of sweetcorn were cast in front of a large dark shape the fish taking the bait on the drop. A titanic fight followed testing the split-cane rod and old Ambidex fixed spool reel to the limit. At the end of his line was the first 50lb carp recorded in the country and Redmire’s third consecutive record-breaker over a 28-year period.

Quite a day... 16th June 1980.

Brilliant!!!!
    Thanks for sharing some great history with us

Elite (Gold)

wow what a special post on such a special day

Well Done, some brilliant reminders !!

Bob

Chris nice piece.... I think the things we expierenced are good to pass on ... I for one kept my Secret Squirrel cape on for far too long.... its all far too easy to say the phrase "no sorry mate not a bite, not seen anything"