Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
Results 1,541 to 1,559 of 1559

Thread: The Special Album

Site Regular

Default The Special Album

None-withstanding the Photobucket problems which seem on the face of it unsolvable unless you pay some money, I’ve now changed to Tinypic for third-party hosting which seems fine.

Langmans Lake at Send shows its potential

By the early 1960s some members of the Woking & District Angling Society knew that the larger of the two lakes they controlled, Langmans at Send, had big carp present. By 1964 at least three 20-pounders had been caught, though the reputation of uncatchability meant few tried.

Head bailiff, John Brough, had landed one of the twenty-pounders and in good weather often seen bigger ones cruising around in the shallow water of a bay and was bursting for one of them. Around this time besides some big mirrors he’d spotted a perfect monster of a common carp which he thought might go 35lb or bigger!

John had used legered potato to good effect in the smaller of the two lakes and started to use them at Langmans, Two years later he landed another 20lb Langmans mirror along with several other big fish. Then another milestone in 1964, the first twenty pound common carp, this super Redmire lookalike carp weighed 24lb.

Also in 1964 another carp angler appeared on the scene, his name, Charlie Carter, and with him he bought a different bait - dumplings, yes, dumplings. Charlie followed an Italian recipe which was simple to make but the master stroke was he flavoured them with vanilla. These dumplings gave Charlie more runs than John, who was using the humble potato, but an inherent problem Charlie suffered was trying to strike through them. The insides were so dense it impeded the hook; Charlie even tried a four-way split with a knife at the top of the bait to remedy the problem. As a result, although he had a number of runs, few carp were actually hooked. However, one fish Charlie did land in June 1964 turned out to be a new lake record - a cracking chunky mirror weighing 27lb.

Notwithstanding this success, Charlie Carter faded from view, but John Brough had picked up on the flavour thing. The following year, 1965, with several more 20lb fish to his credit, he started to do really well, his total of big carp - although few knew of it - put John in a class of his own in Surrey, if not nationally.

Charlie Carter with his Langmans lake record of 27lb landed in June 1964 while using vanilla flavoured dumplings

Cheers Bally, I always enjoy reading these!

x
    <>< "A good angler can tell good stories....." ><>

Site Regular

Again Mr Ball sir top story thank you for sharing.

Regards

What a shame, such an awesome thread, ruined by Photobucket's actions

Site Regular

Eventful week at Redmire
    In mid July 1980, some three weeks after Chris Yates landed a new British Record carp from Redmire, Ritchie McDonald went again to the record breaking venue intent on doing battle.

Armed with Red Shrimp protein boilies and some corn and arriving early on Tuesday morning, conditions seemed good, overcast with some rain and feeling decidedly muggy. He baited a spot next to heavy weed just off one of Redmireís four small islands - in this case Bramble island. Just after 6am a 15lb common raced off with his corn and was duly landed. The following evening he kept his eyes on the shallows as a lot of fish were moving around and occasional dipping down to feed. As countless Redmire anglers have found in the past, Redmire carp (of all sizes) can prove to be infuriating in the shallow water seemingly feeding all around the hookbait, with the angler getting only an odd lift of the line.

Moving around and trying several swims over the next few days resulted in commons of 10lb and 12lb and although much of the activity was centred around the top third of the pool, Ritchie spotted some better ones again visiting the weed bed off Bramble island. He steadily introduced boilies and some corn to the area and a little before 2pm on his last day he got stuck fast into a goodíun. After quite a tussle he managed to land the fish as a cheer went up from Dave Short and Chris Yates who were fishing on the opposite bank. Negotiating the narrow plank walkway from Bramble island back to the bank he lost his footing and he went in for a dip almost loosing the fish in the process. But all was okay in the end - it proved to be Ritchieís largest (official) Redmire carp - a glorious common of 29lb. The story of another bigger Redmire fish can wait till another time.

now that's a common !!

Site Regular

Top Class.

Site Connoisseur

Jeeesus just look at that fish.... :-O Perfect common.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBall View Post
    None-withstanding the Photobucket problems which seem on the face of it unsolvable unless you pay some money, Iíve now changed to Tinypic for third-party hosting which seems fine.

Langmans Lake at Send shows its potential

By the early 1960s some members of the Woking & District Angling Society knew that the larger of the two lakes they controlled, Langmans at Send, had big carp present. By 1964 at least three 20-pounders had been caught, though the reputation of uncatchability meant few tried.

Head bailiff, John Brough, had landed one of the twenty-pounders and in good weather often seen bigger ones cruising around in the shallow water of a bay and was bursting for one of them. Around this time besides some big mirrors heíd spotted a perfect monster of a common carp which he thought might go 35lb or bigger!

John had used legered potato to good effect in the smaller of the two lakes and started to use them at Langmans, Two years later he landed another 20lb Langmans mirror along with several other big fish. Then another milestone in 1964, the first twenty pound common carp, this super Redmire lookalike carp weighed 24lb.

Also in 1964 another carp angler appeared on the scene, his name, Charlie Carter, and with him he bought a different bait - dumplings, yes, dumplings. Charlie followed an Italian recipe which was simple to make but the master stroke was he flavoured them with vanilla. These dumplings gave Charlie more runs than John, who was using the humble potato, but an inherent problem Charlie suffered was trying to strike through them. The insides were so dense it impeded the hook; Charlie even tried a four-way split with a knife at the top of the bait to remedy the problem. As a result, although he had a number of runs, few carp were actually hooked. However, one fish Charlie did land in June 1964 turned out to be a new lake record - a cracking chunky mirror weighing 27lb.

Notwithstanding this success, Charlie Carter faded from view, but John Brough had picked up on the flavour thing. The following year, 1965, with several more 20lb fish to his credit, he started to do really well, his total of big carp - although few knew of it - put John in a class of his own in Surrey, if not nationally.

Charlie Carter with his Langmans lake record of 27lb landed in June 1964 while using vanilla flavoured dumplings
    Superb!

Chris, a word to the wise, get off Tinypic, it's owned by Photobucket, and Tinypic randomly delete images after a certain time, without warning.

Atm, the best free hosting i've found, is ImgBB

Site Regular

Many thanks... all sorted.

Site Regular

Great stuff Chris.

Site Regular

Raspberry
    Almost certainly one of the 50 tiny Galician carp placed into Redmire Pool in March 1934, and one that avoided capture thought the 1950s, was a sparely-scaled mirror that was first recorded way back in 1961.

The fish became known as Raspberry, not because of tiny red pimples that sometimes are evident on a fishes flank, but because of the huge bowl of raspberries offered to Dick Kefford and captor John Nixon by the owners of the pool. John had to be careful during the next few hours as raspberries are deemed to be a first rate laxative!

In 1991 I came face to face with Raspberry when keeper of the pool, Les Bamford, tipped me off that the pool was to be netted as many small carp had increasingly appeared (they seemed to have survived the less harsh winters much better than in the past). I was keen to meet Raspberry, being such an old and famous resident of Redmire Pool.

On the second sweep of the net a great many carp were present which included dozens of the smaller brethren. And of course some of the older Redmire occupants were there too. Before long a call from one of the netsmen indicated that Raspberry was in the net. I waded out amidst a sea of Redmire carp with 20lb commons bumping into my legs, and soon was cuddling Raspberry. I weighed the fish at 24lb, it had been around this weight for most of adult life, it’s mouth was perfect, I mean perfect, and it’s eyes looked bright - carp in later life can something be affected by cataract problems - but the most incredible thing was that at the time Raspberry was 10-years older than me!

Another claim to fame for this carp was at one stage it appeared to be the oldest known carp in the country. When it died some years back Raspberry was thought to be close to 70-years old. The good and great landed the fish over the years including Jack Hilton, Rod Hutchinson, Chris Yates, Bill Quinlan, Len Arbery, Kev Clifford, Kevin Maddocks, Peter Springate and others. A very special carp indeed.

Face to face with Raspberry - in the background Lloyd Bent of the once famous tackle shop in Watford, The Carp Cellar, and with his back to the camera Jeff Rendell stalwart carp angler of the Colne Valley.

Another beaut Chris, thanks.
    Get you some of that!

Site Regular

A true history fish that would have swam with all the Redmire legends.

Thanks Chris, great story as always.
    Smell my fingers!

Site Regular

Historical Carp Waters book
    As some people will know my new book, ĎHistorical Carp Watersí has just been published by The Little Egret Press and any lovers of The Special Album thread will Iím sure be up for this book. At over 400-pages with 320 pictures (some which havenít seen the light of day before) plus special drawings by three highly talented artists will make the book appealing to many who are interested in the origins of some of the most important carp fisheries in the country.

Itís not solely about the south of England or the Colne Valley for that matter, but covers a wide variety of lakes (and one river) from Lincolnshire, Cheshire and Nottinghamshire in the North, to Surrey, Sussex and Kent in the South.

The book has such stories as Jack Hiltonís quest for winter carp in waters unaffected in anyway by artificially warmed waters, such as power station outlets. He recorded a set of captures from one lake in the early 1970s that set the angling world alight.

Just ordered it Chris, like a look back in time as I get oh so older older, so wish I had a time machine, thanks as always

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBall View Post
    Historical Carp Waters book
    As some people will know my new book, ĎHistorical Carp Watersí has just been published by The Little Egret Press and any lovers of The Special Album thread will Iím sure be up for this book. At over 400-pages with 320 pictures (some which havenít seen the light of day before) plus special drawings by three highly talented artists will make the book appealing to many who are interested in the origins of some of the most important carp fisheries in the country.

Itís not solely about the south of England or the Colne Valley for that matter, but covers a wide variety of lakes (and one river) from Lincolnshire, Cheshire and Nottinghamshire in the North, to Surrey, Sussex and Kent in the South.

The book has such stories as Jack Hiltonís quest for winter carp in waters unaffected in anyway by artificially warmed waters, such as power station outlets. He recorded a set of captures from one lake in the early 1970s that set the angling world alight.

Have requested my sister get me this for Christmas, cannot wait to read this it looks like such an interesting read Chris!
    Visit Our Love Of Carp on Facebook and Instagram

Frequent User

My copy was delivered last week. Have yet to read it through but from what I have read of it, I'm going to enjoy it immensely. Another excellent read. Cheers Chris.

Steve