Thread: Fish spy review

Site Regular

Default Fish spy review

Hi lads,

My fishing time if very limited, combine that with living up north and needing to travel a long way to fish and itís not the best!

Iím looking for something to help me save time on the bank and thought about a fish spy. Has anyone tried them?

Please no replies telling me I should use a marker rod, I simply donít have the time to spend hours doing it on often new day ticket waters

Any genuine reviews greatly appreciated

Cheers

You’d be better off with a Deeper Pro if you want to save time finding spots as it is far more useful and versatile. A few casts will tell you features, depth, weedbeds etc. A Fish Spy has it’s limitations and is next to useless in coloured water.
    We are Premier League......

Site Regular

Cheers pal. I have a boat with a decent echo and to be honest I can’t make head nor tail out of it!!! I have tried to learn how to read them by watching every vid I can but no joy! I figure you can’t go wrong watching a camera. I was thinking what’s it like if the water isn’t clear

Limited IMO a friend has one and itís connectivity is poor an iPad sure you can receive the data later on but really do as we have done for decades stick a marker rod out.

Site Regular

I have said this before and I’ll say it again, I don’t care how good you are, there is no chance in hell you can tell what your fishing over using a marker rod. You can tell the difference between very thick weed and clear gravel yes, but when it comes to thin weed, silt, Clay, silk weed etc especially at distance then not a chance! It’s guess work. I have been on a lake in France. And we done it. Casting about for hours till we all agreed what the spot was like, then out in the boat with an aqua scope and it was nothing like what we thought

So get a boat and aqua scope the fish spy ain’t much cop in my opinion. Ie the range is shocking being blue tooth etc if you are happy to kick it about and then down load the footage then so be it. I’d much rather the pro+

Or you can convince yourself of it’s worth.

Ideally you would have a boat and scope sonar and fish spy each to their own.

I find sticking a rig out there for a short period tells me enough and have down well repeating this in quick succession using stringers or bags.

Site Regular

Most lakes won’t let you go out in a boat. Using a lead, marker float or rig is not the best I think. U pick stuff up in the way in

On short sessions, or one off visists, your eyeballs are the most valuable location aid IMHO.

I have to say, the fishspy interests me, as I am often frustrated at not being able to get out in a boat, but if anything, it's slower and more intrusive than a standard marker float. I quite like the idea of being able to check if a spot is exactly as I think it is, and especially if bait is being eaten, but I'd see this as far more useful as part of a longer term campaign. On a short session or one off visit, see them, cast to them!

Site Regular

Last time fishing I fished a lake for the first time, I only had 24 hrs and you need to book a swim in advance. The lake was full, after casting around for a good few hours the lake bed seemed the same all over, a fairly good drop but lots of that sticky candy floss type weed all over the bottom. After talking to the bailiff he said that there are a few clean spots and the fish really don’t like feeding in the candy floss type weed, it was impossible to feel the stuff really with a lead it was that thin. A fish spy type device would have bred good

Full lake and forced to pick a swim in advance? I'd find another lake!

Site Regular

I’m from the north east. I drove 3.5 hrs for that priverlige, the closest lake with a 20 in is around 1.5 hrs and syndicates are very hard to come by

Still I’d prefer a pro plus over a spy cam.

Site Regular

I've seen one extensively tested and I was not impressed.

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    I've seen one extensively tested and I was not impressed.
    Why not pal?

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    Still I’d prefer a pro plus over a spy cam.
    What puts me off a deeper is I have an echo on my boat and can’t for the life of me read and work it out. Depth is obviously easy, it’s weed I’m after finding or lack of it. When I first started using it I thought it was easy. Till I stuck it in a clear deep margin to find out the bottom looked nothing like what I thought the screen was telling me

I can’t find anywhere that shows you how to read and look for weed etc