Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it that hard to zero your scales ?

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    haha....silence speaks volumes...

you have to have a good memory to remember the lies...yo can normally tell when you are being lied to about a certain weight of a fish,because first line of attack is defence.
    but....let em get on with it i reckon, its a sad state of carping these days i think.
    Carp fishing in general is in a sad state these days
    Catching carp is easy,its the time in between thats the hard part

Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    Interesting you say that about holding scales by the body, i watched a vid a while ago which showed the opposite, it was in fact quite easy to increase the weight of the fish by holding the scales by the body, strange also they never weighed light, always heavy.

I have been aware of the suggestion about holding scales for thirty years and have swooped between both methods to make my own mind up about such claims. As long as you have an appreciation for hooks Law and donít imped the movement/position of the spring there is absolutely no effect on Avonís. Canít comment on other spring scales bit Iíve always been happy that my scales accurate. Iíve tested mine with weights and other scales attached to them to check their linear function.

They may not be perfect but for me they are good enough.

haha....silence speaks volumes...

you have to have a good memory to remember the lies...yo can normally tell when you are being lied to about a certain weight of a fish,because first line of attack is defence.
    but....let em get on with it i reckon, its a sad state of carping these days i think.
    James I think you are worrying about something thatís pointless because itís out of your control. Why care.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    James I think you are worrying about something that’s pointless because it’s out of your control. Why care.
    Lol...i know mate. Just seems pointless though..i mean most fish in the lakes are recognisable..not only by weight..but looks too.and when someone has a fish at 2lb...it then comes out a week later at 14lb......you have to question the morals of some people and ask why ?

This went on on fb the other day...same fish came out 2 times in a week...32.....then 36......then. i know fish pile on the weight but 4lb in 3 days !
    I wasnt the only one who noticed this and questions were asked lets say.

Why...just why bs about a fishes weight ?
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Occasional User

Lol...i know mate. Just seems pointless though..i mean most fish in the lakes are recognisable..not only by weight..but looks too.and when someone has a fish at 2lb...it then comes out a week later at 14lb......you have to question the morals of some people and ask why ?

This went on on fb the other day...same fish came out 2 times in a week...32.....then 36......then. i know fish pile on the weight but 4lb in 3 days !
    I wasnt the only one who noticed this and questions were asked lets say.

Why...just why bs about a fishes weight ?
    Why shouldn’t you be bothered by it? If people were ill treating fish or doing something equally wrong, that would get a mention, and this is still a fishing forum, so you are voicing an opinion, nothing wrong with that in my book, and I agree that the way some weigh fish, is bad practice.

Occasional User

I have been aware of the suggestion about holding scales for thirty years and have swooped between both methods to make my own mind up about such claims. As long as you have an appreciation for hooks Law and don’t imped the movement/position of the spring there is absolutely no effect on Avon’s. Can’t comment on other spring scales bit I’ve always been happy that my scales accurate. I’ve tested mine with weights and other scales attached to them to check their linear function.

They may not be perfect but for me they are good enough.
    Hi, back some time in the 80’s I read and heard a few times, that scales shouldn’t be held by the body when weighing, hence why Avons and some other scales came with handles. A little while later, I bought some Reuben Heaton Specimen Hunter 60lb x 1oz scales. They didn’t come with a handle?
    So I contacted RH, they said that because the scales were used with bigger fish in mind, most would use a pole through the hanging loop.

Basically no handle available, RH also said that the scales shouldn’t be held by the casing when weighing. The top loop fixes to the main internal frame of the scales, where as the casing, is just to house the dial, and keep everything clean, which makes sense.

So, I made a couple of weigh bars up, Cliff Fox saw them, and started making and marketing the first that I know of, weigh bars.
    When I used Avons, I always used the handle, I think the reason many weigh fish by holding the body of the scales, is because a handle/bar wasn’t supplied?

Imo...when you weigh a fish by holdong the scales at the bottom, you actually tilt the scales backwards.
    This...in turn gives an extra lb or so.see it sometimes on videos where its practised this way.

So thats my take on it regarding that. The top loop os there for a reason...a bar...so the scales are dead straight.

rex hunt

Now I appreciate what you guys are saying and I was told the same. I personally found it easy to hold the case as it’s a more steady point. If you see that the needle is moving freely and steadily indicates it’s reading accurately. I was somewhat obsessed aaa a kid and would measure fish using both methods to satisfy my curiosity and was happy ever since. Until that I thought Sod it and bought a set of digital scales which are a 1/4 of the size.

Occasional User

Now I appreciate what you guys are saying and I was told the same. I personally found it easy to hold the case as itís a more steady point. If you see that the needle is moving freely and steadily indicates itís reading accurately. I was somewhat obsessed aaa a kid and would measure fish using both methods to satisfy my curiosity and was happy ever since. Until that I thought Sod it and bought a set of digital scales which are a 1/4 of the size.
    I now use digitals too, I like them, and as you mentioned, much more compact.

I have rubens..and yes...although superb scales and accurate...they are somewhat bulky.

I was/ have been looking at digitals....any recommended ones that dont cost the earth ?

rex hunt

Beginner Member

I have rubens..and yes...although superb scales and accurate...they are somewhat bulky.

I was/ have been looking at digitals....any recommended ones that dont cost the earth ?
    Wychwood digitals

A chap on here recommended luggage scales and I grabbed a set for £10 and have been more than pleased I’ve had roach to 70kgs..

Seriously they are pretty accurate and I’ve stopped using my Avon’s.

Occasional User

I stayed with the Reuben Heaton brand, I bought a set of 7000’s which are available in 66lb or 132lb. Mine are 132lb (just in case) lol. I paid £60 for them, and can’t fault them, very accurate.
    Then I bought a set of the smaller 9000’s for stalking etc, they go to 55lb and again very accurate, they even come with a handle! I paid £35 for them.

The current Fox digitals get good reviews but, the cheap Korums don’t.

Some of the cheap ones are fine apparently, since upgrading from some 32lb Avons a good few moons ago, I’ve always put my faith in Reuben Heaton.

Something to remember, digitals need to be treated like anything else electronic, and shouldn’t be left in the damp or wet.

Frequent User

Interesting topic this one,i think you should be careful when questioning peoples weight of fish.A case in point,many moons ago I held a ticket for colnbrook west,i used to be on the lookout for places to fish as many of my colne valley lakes held the traditional season,so I fished Tolpits and others between march 15th and june 16th.

AnywayI was fishing on colnebrook west and was lucky enough to catch ol warty at 43,happy days.Fast forward 6 weeks and I capture a mirror,33lb I was flummoxed by this as there was no thirties in there.I checked the pictures and sure enough ol warty again,and defo weighed correctly.

As for holding scales,i read the same as you many moons ago about holding the body of the scales.Checked my ruebens and read 3lb heavy when weighing an upper twenty,when held by the body.

Frequent User

One more gripe concerning weighing of large fish.Why do people not invest in a crook and pole.The amount of people I have seen trying to weigh big twenties,thirties and forties with their fingers through the hook,with the scales bouncing around like a kid on a trampoline.The fish is hoisted up,then down,up ,down...just buy a pole and crook

Good old warty !

Good point mate.but warty had a history of being up and down though didnt it, through Spawn and ill health.
    I used to fish farlows all the time and i knew a few people who were fishing colnebrook at the time and warty came out a hell of a lot !
    Lovely old colne valley warrior mate no doubt.

rex hunt

Occasional User

Carp can fluctuate in weight, and by quite a bit either way in certain situations but, it’s not a common occurence outside of spawning, for healthy fish. A good point though, all the same.

I think the main gripe of the thread, is the way the fish are weighed.
    Last year, I watched somebody weigh a fish, with the same retainer sling that I have.
    When the weighing was done, the captor said “Less 1lb forthe sling” My sling wet, weighs 2lb 6oz ?

Site Regular

Can you get scales serviced? And has anyone done it?

My Reubens are the 60lbx1oz dials but once zeroed to sling the weigh hook does clunk about And that actually moves the dial off zero. Is this common with anyone else's?
    Also use the flyweight mk 11s for all my barbeling perch etc and always found them very accurate and less clunky internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Carp can fluctuate in weight, and by quite a bit either way in certain situations but, it’s not a common occurence outside of spawning, for healthy fish. A good point though, all the same.

I think the main gripe of the thread, is the way the fish are weighed.
    Last year, I watched somebody weigh a fish, with the same retainer sling that I have.
    When the weighing was done, the captor said “Less 1lb forthe sling” My sling wet, weighs 2lb 6oz ?
    Yes it was the main point of the thread.....but I do acknowledge other parts can come into play...but each fish is different regarding spawning etc. To which in turn is an individual thing at certain times of the year ! Lol

rex hunt

Occasional User

Quote Originally Posted by stewbob View Post
    Can you get scales serviced? And has anyone done it?

My Reubens are the 60lbx1oz dials but once zeroed to sling the weigh hook does clunk about And that actually moves the dial off zero. Is this common with anyone else's?
    Also use the flyweight mk 11s for all my barbeling perch etc and always found them very accurate and less clunky internals.
    Yes mate, I had my Specimen 60lb x 1oz set done, the scales are nudging 30 years old. I sent them off and paid the £28 fee.
    They came back looking like brand new, originally they had a black hook, and top loop, when they came back, they had a thicker stainless hook and loop, in fact apart from the original face, they looked brand new.

I sent them back mainly to be re calibrated but, I was well pleased with what I got for the £28.

Info here: https://reubenheaton.com/after-sales...cing-of-scales

Yes it was the main point of the thread.....but I do acknowledge other parts can come into play...but each fish is different regarding spawning etc. To which in turn is an individual thing at certain times of the year ! Lol
    Usually, the bigger the fish, the bigger the weight difference where spawning is concerned.