Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Is it that hard to zero your scales ?

  1. #21
    Elite (Bronze)
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    haha....silence speaks volumes...

    you have to have a good memory to remember the lies...yo can normally tell when you are being lied to about a certain weight of a fish,because first line of attack is defence.
    but....let em get on with it i reckon, its a sad state of carping these days i think.
    Carp fishing in general is in a sad state these days
    Catching carp is easy,its the time in between thats the hard part

  2. #22
    Elite (Gold) JSlinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bridgnorth
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    Interesting you say that about holding scales by the body, i watched a vid a while ago which showed the opposite, it was in fact quite easy to increase the weight of the fish by holding the scales by the body, strange also they never weighed light, always heavy.

    I have been aware of the suggestion about holding scales for thirty years and have swooped between both methods to make my own mind up about such claims. As long as you have an appreciation for hooks Law and donít imped the movement/position of the spring there is absolutely no effect on Avonís. Canít comment on other spring scales bit Iíve always been happy that my scales accurate. Iíve tested mine with weights and other scales attached to them to check their linear function.

    They may not be perfect but for me they are good enough.

  3. #23
    Elite (Gold) JSlinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bridgnorth
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    haha....silence speaks volumes...

    you have to have a good memory to remember the lies...yo can normally tell when you are being lied to about a certain weight of a fish,because first line of attack is defence.
    but....let em get on with it i reckon, its a sad state of carping these days i think.
    James I think you are worrying about something thatís pointless because itís out of your control. Why care.

  4. #24
    Platinum jeames's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    on the naughty step...again in bucks
    Posts
    8,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    James I think you are worrying about something that’s pointless because it’s out of your control. Why care.
    Lol...i know mate. Just seems pointless though..i mean most fish in the lakes are recognisable..not only by weight..but looks too.and when someone has a fish at 2lb...it then comes out a week later at 14lb......you have to question the morals of some people and ask why ?

    This went on on fb the other day...same fish came out 2 times in a week...32.....then 36......then. i know fish pile on the weight but 4lb in 3 days !
    I wasnt the only one who noticed this and questions were asked lets say.

    Why...just why bs about a fishes weight ?
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

    rex hunt

  5. #25
    Occasional User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    Lol...i know mate. Just seems pointless though..i mean most fish in the lakes are recognisable..not only by weight..but looks too.and when someone has a fish at 2lb...it then comes out a week later at 14lb......you have to question the morals of some people and ask why ?

    This went on on fb the other day...same fish came out 2 times in a week...32.....then 36......then. i know fish pile on the weight but 4lb in 3 days !
    I wasnt the only one who noticed this and questions were asked lets say.

    Why...just why bs about a fishes weight ?
    Why shouldn’t you be bothered by it? If people were ill treating fish or doing something equally wrong, that would get a mention, and this is still a fishing forum, so you are voicing an opinion, nothing wrong with that in my book, and I agree that the way some weigh fish, is bad practice.

  6. #26
    Occasional User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    I have been aware of the suggestion about holding scales for thirty years and have swooped between both methods to make my own mind up about such claims. As long as you have an appreciation for hooks Law and don’t imped the movement/position of the spring there is absolutely no effect on Avon’s. Can’t comment on other spring scales bit I’ve always been happy that my scales accurate. I’ve tested mine with weights and other scales attached to them to check their linear function.

    They may not be perfect but for me they are good enough.
    Hi, back some time in the 80’s I read and heard a few times, that scales shouldn’t be held by the body when weighing, hence why Avons and some other scales came with handles. A little while later, I bought some Reuben Heaton Specimen Hunter 60lb x 1oz scales. They didn’t come with a handle?
    So I contacted RH, they said that because the scales were used with bigger fish in mind, most would use a pole through the hanging loop.

    Basically no handle available, RH also said that the scales shouldn’t be held by the casing when weighing. The top loop fixes to the main internal frame of the scales, where as the casing, is just to house the dial, and keep everything clean, which makes sense.

    So, I made a couple of weigh bars up, Cliff Fox saw them, and started making and marketing the first that I know of, weigh bars.
    When I used Avons, I always used the handle, I think the reason many weigh fish by holding the body of the scales, is because a handle/bar wasn’t supplied?

  7. #27
    Platinum jeames's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    on the naughty step...again in bucks
    Posts
    8,178

    Default

    Imo...when you weigh a fish by holdong the scales at the bottom, you actually tilt the scales backwards.
    This...in turn gives an extra lb or so.see it sometimes on videos where its practised this way.

    So thats my take on it regarding that. The top loop os there for a reason...a bar...so the scales are dead straight.
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

    rex hunt

  8. #28
    Elite (Gold) JSlinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bridgnorth
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Now I appreciate what you guys are saying and I was told the same. I personally found it easy to hold the case as it’s a more steady point. If you see that the needle is moving freely and steadily indicates it’s reading accurately. I was somewhat obsessed aaa a kid and would measure fish using both methods to satisfy my curiosity and was happy ever since. Until that I thought Sod it and bought a set of digital scales which are a 1/4 of the size.

  9. #29
    Occasional User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    Now I appreciate what you guys are saying and I was told the same. I personally found it easy to hold the case as itís a more steady point. If you see that the needle is moving freely and steadily indicates itís reading accurately. I was somewhat obsessed aaa a kid and would measure fish using both methods to satisfy my curiosity and was happy ever since. Until that I thought Sod it and bought a set of digital scales which are a 1/4 of the size.
    I now use digitals too, I like them, and as you mentioned, much more compact.

  10. #30
    Platinum jeames's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    on the naughty step...again in bucks
    Posts
    8,178

    Default

    I have rubens..and yes...although superb scales and accurate...they are somewhat bulky.


    I was/ have been looking at digitals....any recommended ones that dont cost the earth ?
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

    rex hunt

  11. #31
    Beginner Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    I have rubens..and yes...although superb scales and accurate...they are somewhat bulky.


    I was/ have been looking at digitals....any recommended ones that dont cost the earth ?
    Wychwood digitals

  12. #32
    Elite (Gold) JSlinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bridgnorth
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    A chap on here recommended luggage scales and I grabbed a set for £10 and have been more than pleased I’ve had roach to 70kgs..

    Seriously they are pretty accurate and I’ve stopped using my Avon’s.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed and Developed By: Advanced Web Designs | www.awdltd.co.uk