Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it that hard to zero your scales ?

Default Is it that hard to zero your scales ?

Now this really makes me shake my head....I mean how hard is it ?

Sure most have seen this.... " on it went 39.15 with the sling...my slings 2lb 6 oz and that's wet etc etc....

I have since I started, weighed fish all zeroed up, ready to go.

Imo...it's a simple task of the weighing process...but why do people ****** about and get the weighing Áompletely wrong and get weights over exaggerated......r

I think it happens a lot...and I mean a lot these days..
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Add to this holding the scales by the body of the scales rather than by the ring / handle on the top...
    Wriggle Wriggle..............

Yep..that too.

I have picked up on a certain fishes weight being very heavy shall we say.....and its on video fron the owner of the lake that the scales arent zeroed to start with...and still claim the weights as 47 +....

When...although a defo 40 at around 43lb.....the claimed weight just shows people for 1..being desperate...and 2....sad...to get people to fish said lake.
    The fish itself however...came out again at 43 + about a week later.....nuff said.

rex hunt

Occasional User

Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    Yep..that too.

I have picked up on a certain fishes weight being very heavy shall we say.....and its on video fron the owner of the lake that the scales arent zeroed to start with...and still claim the weights as 47 +....

When...although a defo 40 at around 43lb.....the claimed weight just shows people for 1..being desperate...and 2....sad...to get people to fish said lake.
    The fish itself however...came out again at 43 + about a week later.....nuff said.
    Seems to be more common when fish are nudging, 20, 30, 40 or 50lb too.

Seen quite a few 29lb 15oz fish reach over 30lb by time the capture has been relayed a few times

Dont see why people do it tbh. Only cheating yourself.

Dont get it myself

rex hunt

1st world problems
    this thread is more 'techstep' than sitting in a dank basement in the winter of 97, with a fat joint of hydro, hunched over a hardware sampler wired into a guitar pedal - with Bladerunner on VHS playing in the background...all while wearing a goretex parka with the turtleneck collar fully zipped up

Occasional User

Dont see why people do it tbh. Only cheating yourself.

Dont get it myself
    Me neither, I’m not sure why the people that do such things, even bother to go fishing in the first place?
    Mind you, there are many underhanded people in today’s carp fishing scene, which I’ve been reminded of recently.

Frequent User

Its simple really , many believe the bigger the fish they catch the better an angler they are ,when in essence they are not that good at all ,hence the exaggeration of weights , and round and round it goes in a vicious circle , and they will generally always be poor anglers.
    I wonder how many will read this and wont believe it refers to them .
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

haha....silence speaks volumes...

you have to have a good memory to remember the lies...yo can normally tell when you are being lied to about a certain weight of a fish,because first line of attack is defence.
    but....let em get on with it i reckon, its a sad state of carping these days i think.

rex hunt

Now this really makes me shake my head....I mean how hard is it ?

Sure most have seen this.... " on it went 39.15 with the sling...my slings 2lb 6 oz and that's wet etc etc....

I have since I started, weighed fish all zeroed up, ready to go.

Imo...it's a simple task of the weighing process...but why do people ****** about and get the weighing Áompletely wrong and get weights over exaggerated......r

I think it happens a lot...and I mean a lot these days..
    Yeah one that baffles me too. I had one out of my water 31-10 few weeks later another bloke had it 38 something minus the sling so call it 35
    �� I couldn't be bothered even saying anything and let him crack on. He was happy.
    not exactly fast an furious olly!

Occasional User

I know some anglers don’t weigh or even photograph their fish, I respect that, as their fishing means something different to them.
    However, the majority do weigh and photograph their catch, I certainly do, and I take both very seriously.

On some waters, fish are still very much hard earned, and I like to not only record their weight but, also get quality photos of the fish.
    This not only serves as a memento but, also a record of the fishes weight for future reference.
    If you’re going to do it, do it properly.

Elite (Bronze) dave "the blanker" box's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEILZ View Post
    1st world problems
    Haha, isn't it just! The OP sounds like he's really bothered by how people weigh their fish.

The other day on a thread on here some bloke was getting worked up because some people use expensive carp rods yet they cant trot for roach lol... first world problems! it was probably the same attention seeking knob who started this one
    rome wasnt built in a day

Quote Originally Posted by dave "the blanker" box View Post
    Haha, isn't it just! The OP sounds like he's really bothered by how people weigh their fish.

The other day on a thread on here some bloke was getting worked up because some people use expensive carp rods yet they cant trot for roach lol... first world problems! it was probably the same attention seeking knob who started this one

Haha....thats funny that.

Attention seeking knob...well...whos attention seeking now as you replied with that comment.

First class prick.

rex hunt

I usually just press a button to zero the scales if needed.

Holding the scales by the case makes absolutely no difference as long as your not a complete tool.

I drenched my weigh sling weighed them and round up to 2lbs not **** about zeroing scales and sling waste of time for the fish I catch and life is imo to short anal on every occasion. If itís a PB or at least over thirty Iíll make an effort.

I know all my fish have been at least the weights that Iíve recorded. Beside I Record quality over quantity. I rarely weigh fish under 17/18 mark.

Had a set of Avon’s for over thirty years and they have been bang on. I weighed a Lakes’s biggest resident that a mate caught at birds green and some twat who had been chasing it was so gutted he pulled out his fox scales complained that I had not weighed it correctly and insisted he weigh it again to which I stood back and watch the prick make a complete **** of him self he only just about admitted that we had it spot on and then stormed off made my weekend.

I doubt his attitude has served him well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTreeKid View Post
    Yeah one that baffles me too. I had one out of my water 31-10 few weeks later another bloke had it 38 something minus the sling so call it 35
    �� I couldn't be bothered even saying anything and let him crack on. He was happy.
    That’s the correct attitude to have absolutely bang on my man.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    Had a set of Avon’s for over thirty years and they have been bang on. I weighed a Lakes’s biggest resident that a mate caught at birds green and some twat who had been chasing it was so gutted he pulled out his fox scales complained that I had not weighed it correctly and insisted he weigh it again to which I stood back and watch the prick make a complete **** of him self he only just about admitted that we had it spot on and then stormed off made my weekend.

I doubt his attitude has served him well.
    you get knobs like that everywhere not just in fishing! i bet he wasn't even happy for your mate catching it

Quote Originally Posted by f15hie View Post
    you get knobs like that everywhere not just in fishing! i bet he wasn't even happy for your mate catching it
    He was quite literally furious about it, which made it even more note worth. Some people are so blinkered and just don’t get it. Ever since I was a kid I’d share my tactics baits and results with anyone whom was genuinely nice and wanted to enjoy fishing and not be inserted up their own arse. I’ve grown and nowadays help anyone if I can, regardless. It just amuses me when I hear that I’ve been told about rigs or bait or where to fish and I’ve caught because of someone else. It happens I just do my own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    Holding the scales by the case makes absolutely no difference as long as your not a complete tool.

I drenched my weigh sling weighed them and round up to 2lbs not **** about zeroing scales and sling waste of time for the fish I catch and life is imo to short anal on every occasion. If itís a PB or at least over thirty Iíll make an effort.

I know all my fish have been at least the weights that Iíve recorded. Beside I Record quality over quantity. I rarely weigh fish under 17/18 mark.
    Interesting you say that about holding scales by the body, i watched a vid a while ago which showed the opposite, it was in fact quite easy to increase the weight of the fish by holding the scales by the body, strange also they never weighed light, always heavy.
    I'd hit that !!!!!!