Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the buzz back?

Frequent User

Default Getting the buzz back?

Wondered if people had experienced losing the buzz of carp fishing? I'm sure many have at one time or another. Just interested as to how it manifested and how people got the buzz back?

I ask this because I myself, have well and truly lost the buzz. I joined a syndicate at the beginning of last year that I had been on the waiting list for for a few years. It was really close to my then home, really nice lake, good head of big and good looking carp, and me and my brother started the season with great earnest, walking the lake most days, putting a bit of bait in, and fishing whenever we could (which is always pretty limited). It's not the easiest of places but we did ok, however my personal life changed a bit and I moved out of the immediate area, only a twenty minute drive away, but now had a mortgage and changed jobs, which meant my fishing time was even more limited. I remember being on the bank in the middle of the summer one Saturday, it was roasting, I was down to fish the night with my brother, and just thought '**** this', I don't want to be here tonight. I left the lake and haven't been back. I've completely lost the buzz. I sold half of my gear, and am on the verge of selling the rest (it's nothing too expensive that couldn't be replaced further down the line). It was like a switch went off. I stopped going online and reading articles, I still occasionally watch the odd YouTube video, but I certainly don't seek them out.

I never thought I would stop fishing, I was mad about it. But at the moment the thought of having to tie rigs and bait up and walk the lake just doesn't interest me. Suffice to say I didn't part with the £400 to join the syndicate this year.

Has anyone else experienced this 'switching off?' I don't think it had anything to do with the lake, because it has a great group of lads and I loved it there. I'm just wondering if it was the realisation that I would no longer have the time required to achieve the rewards, or that my life has changed in a way that fishing just doesn't seem to fit in/isn't important any more.

It saddens me that I can't find that spark to make me want to keep the gear I have left and go fishing.

I’ve never lost the buzz as badly as it sounds you have but there have been times when I’ve packed up earlier than I could have because I’d rather be at home with the family or what not. The fishing just doesn’t feel as fun as it should be. And both times, it has occurred toward the end of a long period of effort, so probably burn out for me.

For me, a short break and then a new water, new fishing partner or even a different species has got things going again. Also nothing quite gets me going like seeing a mate with a nice one on the bank.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

Frequent User

Quote Originally Posted by Elty View Post
    Iíve never lost the buzz as badly as it sounds you have but there have been times when Iíve packed up earlier than I could have because Iíd rather be at home with the family or what not. The fishing just doesnít feel as fun as it should be. And both times, it has occurred toward the end of a long period of effort, so probably burn out for me.

For me, a short break and then a new water, new fishing partner or even a different species has got things going again. Also nothing quite gets me going like seeing a mate with a nice one on the bank.
    Maybe I'll keep my gear and do a couple of short sessions in the warmer months, see if it sparks anything

Just see how it goes. No point trying to force it. If it’s not fun they don’t bother. More to life than fishing.

That’s all the cliches I have!
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

Im exactly the same mate.

Over the past 2 years ive probably done about 10 day session and most of those have just been a few hours here and there. For me the internet has killed fishing, there's no mystery anymore! Every lake has been fished, all the fish have names and everybody knows what everybody else is doing.

Carp fishing is more a business than a hobby and I hate the fact that there are so many "instant anglers" spoiling the sport. £1000's of gear but no proper experience.

I started off fishing for perch on my local canal when I was 13 and progressed from that to carp fishing about 4 years later. I didn't just watch a DVD and get brain washed into buying all the latest gear and using the latest "In" bait, I started from the bottom and worked my way up. I have witnessed so truly awful angling over the past decade and its just getting worse.

I bet there is a high percentage of "newer" anglers who have no idea how to trot a float or use a quiver tip as they are just one dimensional in their abilities

Maybe im just getting old but that's how I feel about fishing these days....the 1990's were a fantastic decade for fishing!!

I've been Carp fishing since I was 12 and I'm now 44 and still fish although not that often.

Years ago I realised that half the time I was only going for the sake of it so started only going when I really feel like it or when I haven't got anything else to do. Some seasons I get the bug back and go quite a lot other seasons I hardly fish. At the end of day it doesn't matter if you don't go or if you don't feel like it. One thing I have never done and never will do is sell my gear, that is the kiss of death in my opinion.

The times when I really wasn't into Carp fishing I just started doing what I did when I started fishing as a kid which was fishing small rivers with the float catching whatever came along and enjoying it and once I'd had enough I started fishing for Chub then for Perch then after a while fancied Carping again.

Have a break but don't sell your gear is my advice.
    Smell my fingers!

Passing phase leave it alone and when you decide to go again you’ll question why you hadn’t gone sooner.

Just coming out of the other side this, had health problem early last year that put me out of action for 6 weeks! totally lost the bug and i only went once last year for a 48 hour blank, went with my cousin who is still carp ****ed, so wasn't to bad.
    Went last week the first time this year caught a carp and am going again next week, the buzz is slowly coming back but how long i will be here as once the knobs get back on the bank it could push me away again.

like most older angler the progression to carp angling was progressive from the age of 5, i am now 55, it took me 20 years to catch my first 20 but looking at vids, youtube and forums people instantly are going out and catching 30's and expect bigger. As i am getting older my tolerance is fading and my love of this hobby is faltering as manners and etiquette is dying a slow death!

Urban Banx, COME ON!, always drop the lead and i only fish at 180 yards is common place and testing my resolve. The bubble has to burst soon and the next trend can't come soon enough and the need for everyone to make a living out of this hobby will subside!

But i digress step away for a little while and the bug will come back, i can't wait for next week

Even as a kid I realised that the resale price of Tackle was awful and by the time I was 16 I had built up what I considered to be a decent set up (Shakespeare’s seat box and rod hold-all 3 Rods Brolly and Brolly wrap a couple of alarms mostly paid for with my paper round money etc) that allowed me to chase tench Perch bream and pike and I was night fishing the hollows from the age of 13. Prior to that I spent many a day on the river as a nipper fishing for minows and gudgeon and chub. In fact it was a decent sized perch that set the hook for me when I was 11. During the last 35 years I’ve put my rods down for various pursuits and on every return my most difficult one was after I’d completed a degree as I couldn’t sit on my hands and paced the bank until a friend our my brothers appeared from no where and as we Chatted he told me he had always wanted to have a go. So as per my Grand fathers teaching had been passed to me I spent the day showing him how to use a Rod and reel, set up a float rig and watched him catch 30 roach to 1/2 lb. after that point I knew it was my hobby for life and that there will be times I’d put it down but ill never sell my gear if I don’t have to.

I took almost a year away from Carp and focused on short Barbel sessions. I absolutely loved it and now I'm buzzing to get back into some Carp sessions.
    Win win

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post

Over the past 2 years ive probably done about 10 day session and most of those have just been a few hours here and there. For me the internet has killed fishing, there's no mystery anymore! Every lake has been fished, all the fish have names and everybody knows what everybody else is doing.

Carp fishing is more a business than a hobby and I hate the fact that there are so many "instant anglers" spoiling the sport. £1000's of gear but no proper experience.

I started off fishing for perch on my local canal when I was 13 and progressed from that to carp fishing about 4 years later. I didn't just watch a DVD and get brain washed into buying all the latest gear and using the latest "In" bait, I started from the bottom and worked my way up. I have witnessed so truly awful angling over the past decade and its just getting worse.

I bet there is a high percentage of "newer" anglers who have no idea how to trot a float or use a quiver tip as they are just one dimensional in their abilities

Maybe im just getting old but that's how I feel about fishing these days....the 1990's were a fantastic decade for fishing!!
    Nail on the head,my thoughts exactly
    Catching carp is easy,its the time in between thats the hard part

If its gone a bit stale for you and don't fancy going carping.....go for other species....like perch, barbel, roach......get the old match gear out if you have any and then you may start all over again...nothing beats a day on the canal and a net full of roach and perch upto a 1lb in weight !
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Site Regular

I got caught up in chasing lakes / fish years ago and to be honest it was a god send when I started a family, I had 15 years away enjoying myself, I came back with a fresh outlook.

I only fish with 2 rods one bottom and one surface / zig and I chase the fish everywhere, 20 litre rucksack, unhooking mat, bait bucket and I'm off, I don't fish nights, anything from an hour to 12 hours, my 3 rod set-up has not seen the light of day, no buzzers or bank sticks.

I choose waters that suit me regardless of size, fish size, reputation, popularity etc and will zip between them, the fishing has been a revelation, I always say as I exit the house "lets have some fun", if it goes wrong or some idiot spoils things I just smile and go home, there's always another day.

IMO the change of approach supercharged things for me, can you catch quickly on difficult waters, of coarse, best of luck.

Frequent User

I've not deliberately targeted carp (or barbel in a bait and wait style) on overnight sessions for a good couple of years. I just got sick of the rigmarole of long stay fishing. I love it when I'm doing it, but I can't be pestered with getting all the gear ready, lugging it to the car, unloading it and lugging it round a venue. The reverse procedure is somehow even more of a PITA. I also got tired of the amount of time, effort, and money, it took to really keep on top of the game on my syndicate water. Even if I wasn't actually fishing, I was walking, talking, observing and baiting. I loved it for a time, but it all got a bit much.

I still fish the same syndicate water, but I'm as likely to be chasing roach, bream, tench and perch, as I am carp. It's invariably short session stuff and usually with float gear. I also spend a lot more time on my local rivers, float fishing for anything that comes along. I've had far more fun in the last couple of years than I managed in the last season of full on carping.

Chances are that I will give long stay carping another go in the future, but there's no hurry. I very much doubt that I'll ever do one thing, on a small number of venues, to the exclusion of all else, ever again. For me, variety is the spice of life. I don't think I'll ever get tired of catching fish, but they don't have to be one species or especially large.
    Fabricatum Diem, Pvnc!

Frequent User

Ive tickets for some awesome waters, and havent fished much since last September and wont be renewing on any of them.

I now find myself drawn to places that people cant be bothered to put the time into and where the fish have no names. As someone said above, the mystery element has somewhat been taken away by the internet.

Elite (Bronze) dave "the blanker" box's Avatar

I did for a bit mate.

Concentrating on pike and summer tench.

You've just burned out and have been over thinking it mate.

Go to a runs water, catch a carp and the buzz should come back. Secret is not to put to much pressure on yourself and enjoy your environment
    rome wasnt built in a day

Elite (Bronze) dave "the blanker" box's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post

You are what is wrong with carp fishing!

You worry too much what other people think and do. who cares if Joe Bloggs next to you has an expensive set of rods and cant trot for roach?

The problem is the mystery has gone on most venues and the fact you compete more against other anglers than the fish.

my syndicate is 400 acres, 35 members and i never see another angler, i rarely see a fish either but that should just be a by product of fishing.
    rome wasnt built in a day

'T' syndicate perchance?
    Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

John Maynard Keynes

Occasional User

If the buzz does come back, you will feel it, if you force yourself into it, it will be short lived.

Elite (Bronze)

Dropped my syndicate last season of 7 years and to be honest didnt miss it apart from a few summer evenings just imagening all the carp supping the mixers and in the winter thinking of the stunning colours ,ive rejoined this year in fact just parted with my £750 (dont tell the wife) its no open till june but cant stop thinking about going again now think its done me good having a year off with the missus and kids .