Thread: Preserving tigers

Site Connoisseur

Default Preserving tigers

So, I want to knock up a tub of tiger hookbaits and would like some advice on preserving them. I've seen some people cover them completely in talin / betalin / thaumatin b (all pretty expensive) and even seen some people just covering them in a blend of cola and red bull!
    Would all of these methods preserve them for long? Any real world experiences for creating preserved killer tigers?

Thanks

Ben

Thaumation B is magic on Tigers, and replaced Hutchies old pro-taste for me. I fill an old pop up tub with minamino and then add 50ml of TB, plus a heaped Teaspoon of GLM powder, and that lasts forever!

Site Connoisseur

Thanks hippy. Thaumatin b is good for sure I used to put it in my particles, just bloody expensive! I guess if I put the tigers into a neat tub of thaumatin b they will keep preserved for months?

I soak a selection of sized tigers, black, normal and skinned in coke and brown sugar for a couple of days, boil and then pour into sterile kilner jars. They really do last indefinitely, i've got jars that have been steeping for over a year and are perfectly fine. You don't get the lovely goo of a freshly prepared and fermented tiger though.

Site Regular

The guidelines for preserving anything are roughly the same - sterilise everything (usually through heat e.g. boiling) and then store in a high sugar / salt / acid content solution, in sealed vessels.
    As soon as you expose the content to air you introduce the bacteria in the air to the contents and the possibility of contamination occurs. Depending on the solution depends on how long it takes for the air bourne bacteria to multiply and take hold.
    My experience shows coke is a good storage solution (high sugar content). Soak the tigers in Talin, cook and put the hot tigers into sterilised air tight containers (minus the water you boiled them in) Fill to the very top (so thereís no air in the container) Cover the tigers in coke and put the lid on. Iíve never kept mine for more than 6 months as Iíve always used them by then, but unopened they should keep for a good while.
    Of course as soon as you open them youíll loose the sterilised environment and the risk of contamination starts ....
    Born to fish, forced to work

Site Connoisseur

Thanks all. I need to be dipping into the tub / jar regularly to pull hookbaits out for use

I have maize and tigers soaking in betalin. I say soaking but really it's just a glaze over them. If you get the pva friendly ones and glaze them they are fine. The tub I have of Maize is 3 years old and still good.

Have also used the mainline pineapple particle syrup which is great
    live life well