Thread: Daiwa SS 1600 advice

Default Daiwa SS 1600 advice

I may soon be in the market for a small Daiwa reel to pair up with a Nash Sawn Off and a Drop shot Rod that will get used very occasionally, I've narrowed my choice down to the Daiwa SS 1600 size plus I like the look of them!
    Last year there was a guy on Tackletrader who was selling a SS 1000 which looked quite small but he described it as the same size as the SS 2600, I thought that it would have been smaller ?? I'm looking for any other suggestions in the Daiwa SS 1600 size range and any user feedback if possible, a rough idea of the going price of a second hand reel would be appreciated too.
    Thanks in advance Teekay

Site Regular

I thought the ss1000 was around the 2600
    And the ss750 around the 1600
    Looking at any if the photos i have seen of them

Site Regular

The SS1600 is smaller and lighter than the SS2600.
    I brought a pair of the SS1600 to use with my 1.25lb Avon rods purely because they balance out so much better being that bit lighter.
    Hope this helps

Cheers Ozz69,thats what I was hoping for by leaning towards the SS1600 over a SS 2600
    I will probably not use the Sawn off / Drop shot set up that often so dont want to shell out for a new reel so would be looking at the second hand market but I need some idea of a fair price. By the way when you bought yours did they come with spare spool? Teekay

I recently bought a 2600, no spare spool.

Cheers Hippy !

I have a the ss750 and they are tiny, as I believe are the ss1000. I have the 1600 on a set of 9 footers and whilst they do look lovely, they are too small for anything over 40 yards, whilst they will do it the line coils like nothing else, and you are fishing with a 1/4 lip on the spool. The 2600, for me is the best, just big enough to fish at 70 yards if required and the bigger spool just about makes fishing flouro an option, and a smooth as silk clutch. If they are an occasional reel then it may be a bit of an extravagance.
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

Thanks rperry.
    I appreciate your constructive comments mate, I use 10’ Scopes coupled with Tournament 5000s for most of my fishing, these are perfect for the lakes I fish, With the Sawn off option I would only be fishing two or three rod lengths out so distance isnt a worry and the reels coupled with 12lb Shimano Tournament line should be ok without coiling,I will also be drop shotting for Perch too so lightness is important .Im hoping once I have the reel to get a couple of spare spools as I also intend to do a bit of light fishing when I holiday in Skiathos so a small versatile reel like the 1600 is probably a good option to take in a suitcase.
    Cheers Teekay

The SS2600 wasnt for me I felt that it was too small a Reel and although its quite nice I moved mine on fairly soon after getting them. The line clip is crap and all I wanted to do was to upgrade them, which I finally did. I appreciate that many people use them they just where not for me. So I opted for the Linear X which imo is light years ahead and the size of Reel Im comfortable with having owned and used Emblem golds for eons.

I did pair them with a 2.5lb 12 rod and they are super light as for the smaller sibling Id very much doubt Id ever entertain them.

Thanks once again for the info it is appreciated ! Teekay
    Last edited by teekay; 02-02-2018 at 18:29. Reason: Error deleted

Just my opinion thought it maybe useful/worth considering.

Today I was given the opportunity to examine both the 1600 and the 2600 side by side and have to agree with rperry that the smaller spool on the 1600 would in fact cause me problems with line coiling, I didnt realise how shallow they were, the 2600 now looks a better option for what I need, I noticed that there wasnt a great deal of difference in the body size but a massive difference in the spool dimensions. Im now on the hunt for a SS 2600 reel