Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deeper pro plus

Default deeper pro plus

I can’t help but consider theses for various reason. Partially due to my own laziness and questioning my ability. I don’t get the chance to fish regularly and when I did I always fished based on applying bait to spots on a regular basis. So nothing that breaks the boundaries so to speak just that my efforts have always been awarded. Anyway I’m some what gripped by the deeper pro + and wonder if it’s a worth while companion or is it cheating basically I could go out and get one use it and refine my fishing or use previous tactics of feature finding and the applied effort and get on with it. Which I have for a few years.

It’s an opinion based question one of which I ask about the pros and saving of time.

This is how I see it...

Carp Anglers happily use a marker float to feature find, use a boat with echo and mark with an H-Block and drop rigs from a boat...

Moved on from a coin on the spool to Electronic Bite Alarms...

Swapped the catapult for a steradent tube then for a bait rocket, onto a spod and now the spomb...

Technology and techniques evolve.

I personally don’t see the difference between using a float and using a Sonar, apart from the lack of disturbance with the sonar!

What I do is map out a swim, find a feature, clip up and then lead around to explore in more detail. Usually I do this when going home or not actually fishing so I know what I’m doing next time I fish!

It’s not for everyone but defo not cheating IMO
    Wriggle Wriggle..............

I absolutely won't be using one. Because I can't afford it! If I could, I certainly would, if only for the convenience. Ideally, I'd be allowed to swim and snorkel, or use a boat, to feature find, so this is the next best thing!

The only part that I'm not overly keen on is it showing up fish. Mapping out a swim with one is no problem.

but if I have a hunch about an area I want to fish and then cast one of those out to map that area, and it showed up a load of fish I'd feel like that isn't how I'd want to find the fish. I'd rather see them bosh, or bubble or whatever through my own observations.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

I must admit, I'd feel the same - although I have no trust in "Fish Finders" of any sort after using my old Garmin on the Thames. It used to show several fish in one spot every time, which I knew to be a combination of old cans on the bottom and or/bubbles in the weed, as it was a few feet deep and crystal clear..

Quote Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
    I must admit, I'd feel the same - although I have no trust in "Fish Finders" of any sort after using my old Garmin on the Thames. It used to show several fish in one spot every time, which I knew to be a combination of old cans on the bottom and or/bubbles in the weed, as it was a few feet deep and crystal clear..
    The Deeper is fairly accurate as a fish finder in my experience. I found a load of fish in my swim one evening pretty much by accident and although I was torn on the ethics I did think “yes!! I’m going to have it off here”. It turned out it was a shoal of bream and over the next three hours I must have had every single one of em! I’m pretty sure you can turn the fish finder bit off though should you wish.

What I found was maintaining the WiFi signal was pretty
    much impossible more than 30-40 yards out. Thought the one I had was faulty so had it replaced and the replacement was exactly the same - connected in the edge, as soon as you cast it dropped out, then reconnected as you were reeling it back in. Tried them on an iPhone 6S, 7 and 7+ and also some Samsung thing and they all had the same problem. So I ended up sending the replacement back as well.

I must admit if they had worked as expected I would say they are an excellent bit of kit and just an update on a marker float, I just think the tech isn’t quite there just yet.

Oh and notice since Korda have got the rights they’ve hiked the price and made sure there’s no discounting going on

Smash them all into tiny bits...go pro...see deeper...drones...spy floats.... ban them all.

Beginner Member

Jamie, did you turn your mobile data off? If you don't every time your phone tries to connect to the internet the Deeper will lose the signal.

Quote Originally Posted by thicky View Post
    Smash them all into tiny bits...go pro...see deeper...drones...spy floats.... ban them all.

And what about those wretched boiled baits and that damned hair rig eh Mr Yates?

Steve - yep I tried everything mate. I must admit Deeper were really helpful but nothing they suggested worked unfortunately.

Site Connoisseur

I don't see it any differently to a marker float

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie© View Post
    And what about those wretched boiled baits and that damned hair rig eh Mr Yates?

Steve - yep I tried everything mate. I must admit Deeper were really helpful but nothing they suggested worked unfortunately.
    Totaly different jamie. They are literaly ending all need for observation and watercraft....what do people want next.... people might as well just be done with it and turn up....pull the plug....choose their carp...have their picture taken and move off to their next water. Sorry jamie but thats how i feel mate and that aint never going to change but then i am a dinasour!lol

Quote Originally Posted by thicky View Post
    Totaly different jamie. They are literaly ending all need for observation and watercraft....what do people want next.... people might as well just be done with it and turn up....pull the plug....choose their carp...have their picture taken and move off to their next water. Sorry jamie but thats how i feel mate and that aint never going to change but then i am a dinasour!lol
    I was only joking Micky - I did put a ‘lol’ emoji but for some reason it’s only showing as an empty square.

I can see both sides tbh mate. I was torn about the ethics of using a Deeper and in the end convinced myself things move on and it’s just an up to date marker float really. I’ve tried a FishSpy and a Deeper and in the distant past a bait boat but I haven’t got on with any of them and have just gone back to fishing how I always have.

It all comes down to what the individual wants from their fishing I suppose and I’m happy being a dinosaur like you

Lol good man!

Lowrance do one now, similar price too.
    I'd hit that !!!!!!

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    Lowrance do one now, similar price too.
    Thanks for that!

Just looked at the Lowrance Fishhunter manual and they're quoting a range of only 50 yards. It's likely to be less when the surface is choppy. It also weighs just over 6 1/4 ounces (corrected figure).

On the plus side there seem to be some additional features including a 3d version. There's also the option of a wider angle view that should show more fish for those who would use it for this. Personally I'm more interested in it as a plumbing /mapping device.
    Last edited by Steve Burke; 17-01-2018 at 17:26. Reason: Adding product name. Correcting spec.

The best way to use it imho is to attach it to a bait boat with an old phone in a waterproof cliplock tub on the boat, map the lake without any signal issues.
    I'd hit that !!!!!!

Site Regular

I had one of those hummingbird castable sonar things when they came out. 2003 sometime like that. I didn’t buy it I was given it. I had to ‘review’ it. It showed 9ft where I knew it was 3ft, weed where there wasn’t any, and fish where there weren’t any. Unsurprisingly none of this made it into the ‘review’. I’d imagine the deeper to be a lot more advanced and accurate. Anyway, I used it about twice. Couldn’t be ar$ed with it to be honest and I feel much the same about the new one. Connecting to a wifi signal and all that blx? Really? And it’s an expensive thing to tie on the end and chuck out into the lake. What if it cracked off? Or if a pike went for it? I mean, if people want to use them, happy days, no worries, but not my cup of tea. Rather do it the analogue way. If that means fewer fish caught, oh well.

Love Thicky (did I say that) and Jamie’s comments on the subject, between them they have my thoughts covered on the things. I’m/was seriously interested in the Deepers despite the merit question which surrounds them ...
    Maybe its because i'm a londoner ©

Elite (Bronze)

Not for me, I know a few people who have them and have seen the results,whilst mildly impressed, like others I really can’t be arsed. For me it’s another gadget that is removing the mystery from our beloved sport. I like painting a minds eye view of the bottom based on traditional methods. The fish finding side of it really is a sorry state of affairs as far as I am concerned, it’s ********.

Would much rather spend the money on bait and tickets, suppose if you have money to burn, fire away, if I had money to burn, would rather burn it ;-)