Thread: Dymag 2.75 stalking rods

Default Dymag 2.75 stalking rods

Evening

I have the dymag rods in 2.25 and was thinking of getting another set in 2.75.

What reels are people using on these, i was thinking of daiwa 2600 or bait runners in 8000.

what distances are you getting from these rods in yards please not wraps?

regards

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by f15hie View Post
    Evening

I have the dymag rods in 2.25 and was thinking of getting another set in 2.75.

What reels are people using on these, i was thinking of daiwa 2600 or bait runners in 8000.

what distances are you getting from these rods in yards please not wraps?

regards

Gary
    I’ve got the the 2.75’s with extensions (don’t think he does the extensions anymore). I pair these up with SS2600’s.

I’m happy with the balance but don’t think the SS2600 spool is that great, not particularly forgiving to mono and you will find it coils up. I’m looking at the Fox f9’s as a potential replacement.

In the 9ft configuration I’m comftably doing 80/70 yards with a 2.5oz lead (I wouldn’t go higher personally) could go further in the 11ft configuration but in honesty would use a different set of rods.
    Maybe its because i'm a londoner

Hitchy thanks for the swift reply

I have the 2.25's with extensions and hit the 40/50 yard area with 1 oz lead in 11ft version and been happy with that but now need a more powerful set up and the 2.75's at 80 to 90 would fit the scenario nicely.

I have emailed Graeme and they don't come with extensions anymore and apparently the ones i have won't fit the rods so will be limited to 9ft.

Haven't thought about fox reels but when the time comes will take rods to shop to check out!

Anyone got a stalking set complete with bag net and extensions and in 2.75 they want to sell or will order new or at least the mrs will as its her gift to me when retiring early next year

I had a set of the 2.75's with the extensions but hardly ever used the extensions. I teamed them up with some Shimano 4000d's which are lovely little reels and I could hit around 70 yards with .33 line. Beautifully balanced setup.
    Halcyon Pool Boreham Essex

Site Connoisseur

Having had both 2.75 and the 2.25 dymag stalkers with extension pieces I personally didn’t feel there was a lot of difference between them. Can’t you just use a 2.5oz lead on the rods you have for more distance?

its having kahoonas to go for a big one with that weight

Quote Originally Posted by f15hie View Post
    its having kahoonas to go for a big one with that weight
    Seriously!? They struggle with a 2.5?
    Edited for the sensitive prissy meow meows we entertain

Don't have the Dymags, but I do have the YAC 3 piece and a couple of other 9fters. The YAC has an ss2600, which I found balances it perfectly and has an excellent clutch. The others have Aero GT4000 Baitrunners, which are very useful when having the lay the rods on the ground - but I prefer the SS, as the clutch is much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by kapscarper View Post
    Seriously!? They struggle with a 2.5?
    I think he means it’s not the best casting weight for a 2.25 TC rod personally I think one would be better off and get greater distance using a 2oz ounce lead using a 12 or even 9lb Line.

The 2.5 oz lead will over load the rod when wanting to hit distance. I wouldn’t use one on my 2.5lb Torrix for just that reason as it is best suited to a 2.25 ounce lead.

Conceptionally the dymag’s do everything they are designed to do. I’ve fished them with 5oz’s of lead but all at very short range , in the few instances I’ve needed to chuck with them they have handled the ranges I’d liked to achieve with them.

Simply put, if you really want to chuck a lead use a rod designed for it, or use one the more generic type concepts - the Nash scopes which cover more bases and cover different styles or angling. All in the now vouge ‘shorter rod’.

To the original poster - sounds like these are what you want personally.

Agree with the Hipster on the SS2600 clutch, it’s great! But just don’t like what the spoil does to mono. Change a hundred or so yards every few months and you won’t find better.
    Maybe its because i'm a londoner

Quote Originally Posted by Hitchy View Post
    Conceptionally the dymag’s do everything they are designed to do. I’ve fished them with 5oz’s of lead but all at very short range , in the few instances I’ve needed to chuck with them they have handled the ranges I’d liked to achieve with them.

Simply put, if you really want to chuck a lead use a rod designed for it, or use one the more generic type concepts - the Nash scopes which cover more bases and cover different styles or angling. All in the now vouge ‘shorter rod’.

To the original poster - sounds like these are what you want personally.

Agree with the Hipster on the SS2600 clutch, it’s great! But just don’t like what the spoil does to mono. Change a hundred or so yards every few months and you won’t find better.
    Mine's loaded with Gardner Pro XM, which is .40mm. Coils up a fair bit, but I removed the last ten yards every few trips - the other option is a fluoro leader, which I have used - hook the end tackle round a tent peg or other fixed point and the leader can be pulled against it and 'set' straight at the start of a session.

Or, just use the spare spool, which is loaded with braid!

in reply to post 9

Spot on, its not i can't cast a 2.5 oz lead but i think that may put to much pressure on the rod and as they aren't made with the extensions anymore replacing 1 would be a bitch if it snaps.

i was always told that the ounce lead shouldn't be more than the pound test curve, but that may be wrong but as already explained if it blows up replacing it would be a complete pain.

I’ve always found that there is a best weight lead for a rod and I was somewhat pleased when reading Mark Tunleys post regarding the 2.5 and 3.25 TC Torrix and the leads that he and I individually came to the conclusion of being optimal. He explains it for more elequently I just know that a particular size lead works best for any given rod. Obviously rods can handle a varied range and as long as your careful it’s fine.

Many years ago when I purchased my first decent set of rods KM 1 2.75 Tc and I was told by KM that I could hit a 4oz lead as hard as I’d like and the rods where guaranteed to handle them. So that’s what I did with a help from a friend however we both agreed that a 2.75 oz zipp lead was by far the best weight for the rod and managed a cast (well he did) of 150 yards with a baited helicopter rig using a set of browning 5500 camcads. I had a 2.25tc 11ft North and western which a re rung with 6 eyes ranging from 35mm to 12mm and could cast a 2 ounce lead 80 yards.

Part of it imho is matching Rods with Reels and Line BS and casting weight.

I did play around with shock leaders for some time 20 odd years ago but found I’d prefer to use a rod such as the 2.5tc Torrix with 12lb BS line and a medium big pit 2.25 oz lead

I use 15lb line with my 3.25 Tc torrix with ISOs 3.5oz lead

And 20lb line with my 3.75 balisters with 6k Tournies 4oz lead

My barbel rod is 2lb and a 1.75 oz lead with 10lb line and an emblem z works a treat.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I now consider line and lead weight and balance it with the rod and reel.