Thread: Rod choice for £300

Default Rod choice for £300

As per title any recommends, thats for a pair btw, 2.75lb tc 12 ft , would prefer full duplon, anything worthwhile about? Thanks for any advice

Site Connoisseur

Kev Baines baby snipers... will do 95% of anyone in the uks fishing.

Cast well have a lovely playing action and feel alive in the hand... every one and every piece of one has love absolutely poured into it by kev and his lovely wife

Thanks for that i'll check those out, feel free mods to move to right section!! Apologies

Are there any contact details/ web site etc for his rods?

Site Regular

Picked up a set of Shimano xsi (not the intensity) for £140 each earlier this year and love them. I got the 3.25 test curve which is a mid action but I'm sure there was a 2.75 in the line up. Also has full shrink tube handle. Think they have some auto clave process applied to them so should be a strong rod. Very pleased with them so far.

doh....

Look at a second hand pair I have rods below £100 mark and itís very obvious in the hand. A set of balisters that may cost less will out perform all day long. Then again you cast them out and leave them on sticks.

Personally I appreciate the difference and you would to, justifiable well thatís down to you.

In the past at least cheap rods lost their back bone became floppy where never very good at casting accurately etc etc omo mind based on many years experience using a fair few sets of rods.

Mark Tunley is right about the rods spine most rods built donít take this into consideration and torsion becomes an issue well at least thatís my take on it. You can and will try to compensate for poorly built rods personally I like my rods to have a more accurate nature.

Site Connoisseur

THOMMO - Kev Baines is Anglers Workshop 01782 561515. Honestly will be the only rods you'll ever need unless you want to go 130+at any point. And even then they might do that with 8lb line and a leader!

I'm saying they're awesome and I don't even have a set. I had some Mk1 Armalites which have great sentimental value to me which he rebuilt to get within 70% of the Baby Snipers' capability. If I didn't have the Armalites I would have bought the Baby Snipers above anything else in the market and I've tried most rods!

Ben

Thanks for that mate