Thread: Bad back and fishing

Default Bad back and fishing

I'm sure there are others in my situation. Just curious how you managed to continue fishing?

I have a bad back since high school when I had an accident playing basketball.

I noticed is getting worse and worse every day, I'm 36 now and lately I had to pack up on two occasions and go home due to back pain. I know the drill now, going for some kineto therapy and probably good to go for couple of more months but it will come back and it will get worse with years.

I'm fishing a lot especially in Europe and mostly for big fish, spending weeks in bad weather,rowing boats, pushing barrow for miles and the worst holding big fish for camera which kills my back. Had a 73Lb in spring and while holding it for pictures I almost burst into tears from pain ). For the last year I can not even cast properly, using the spod no chance hence I've got a bait boat now but still struggling even when playing a fish more than 5 minutes.

What you guys suggest? Stop fishing and care for my back, reduce the gear down and fish for smaller fish?? I can not see myself just stopping or starting match fishing ).

I was thinking barbel may be an option?!

Any ideas will help.

Thank you.

Raz

Quote Originally Posted by weeked View Post
    Had a 73Lb in spring and while holding it for pictures I almost burst into tears from pain ).
    I have a mate that struggles with his back big time but like you he fishes for bigguns overseas a lot. An interesting little tip he told me was to do the photos sitting on a little bucket with your arms/the fish resting on your knees. It takes the stress off your back and the photos look completely normal (i.e. you can't tell he's even sitting down).

As for the rowing/barrows etc.... can't help, but hope you find a solution.

That's a good Idea, I will give it a try.

Site Regular

Don't turn to barbel whatever you do
    aint easy being cheesy

Its not easy, im currently recovering from my 3rd back op at the end of july which was an L2/L3 fusion, so i wont be going til spring. Most of the stuff you are doing isnt good for for your back. You could try regular exercises to strengthen the lower back/core area, and try not to lift/carry/push so much in one go. Water pics are a good wayto do pics if you can be stood or on your knees with the fish at chest height so you are not bending to lift.
    I'd hit that !!!!!!

have a couple of friends who suffer from bad backs and always thought they were malingerers and any excuse to avoid work, thats until mine went a couple of years ago was just about to start a bathroom renovation and had 2 weeks off work. First day got up from having a cup of tea and agony 2 days of pain and couldn't identify what caused it or showing any outward signs my Mrs just thought i was taking the pee. Never joked with pals about it again!

if its causing that much of a problem have a break or reassess your style or amount of fishing you do. A break or adjustment may be all it takes for a little while and then back with gusto to the main quarry starting of easy to start with. i would be more worried that my back might give out all together.

I'm sure you have tried core strength exercises and the likes or back supports the exercise and rowing etc... won't be helping but a short break trying for other species may help and also help with a different style of fishing. 1 of my mates with the bad back does fly fishing and with a few adaptions says it does his back the world of good standing straight for most of the time and involves a lot of walking

Exercise to keep it loose

Try to avoid turning quickly or bending awkward angles

Don't lift heavy items

Painkillers for when its unbearable

Fish for smaller fish....lol

Apart from that...photos with arms resting on knees with maybe a small folded chair to sit on out the picture....lot safer than a bucket that could fold when holding a fish up

Comfy bedchair also helps
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

A decent high backed chair is a must for me. I spent 130 quid on one but the difference is a big change for my back. Do you have a desk job? If so then one of the posture chairs could help.
    Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

John Maynard Keynes

Elite (Silver)

Weekend, maybe you could cut right down on the amount of gear you take and only fish short day sessions on waters where the carp only run to 30lb or so.
    I regularly do 4/6 hour carp sessions on a large open runs water and take very little gear with me compared with other anglers who fish the venue.

No Bivvy, cooking equipment, bed, etc, etc....so no trolly/barrow - just the essentials, a couple of rods + reels, unhooking mat, landing net, small tackle bag, small bait bucket and a lightweight chair.
    Sometimes I only take one rod and go stalking or I might just take a barbel rod with me and float fish for the carp a few rod lengths out, caught some big carp fishing like that.

I think you are right about Match fishing, apart from anything else I don't think shipping a 16 metre pole in and out all day would do your back any favours let alone carting around all the other paraphernalia you need.
    Barbel fishing is certainly a good option, very high thrill factor and pound for pound they fight harder than carp, you don't have to cart much gear around and you're not likely to catch one of those you can't lift up for a photo.

What about chub? A 6lb plus chub even caught on fairly heavy tackle meant for barbel doesn't give in easy let alone caught on tackle more suitable for the species.
    Even the humble perch and roach can give you the runaround and once they get over a pound you can have a very hard time getting them in on light tackle.

Then there is tench fishing.......

All the best with your back.
    I came, I saw, I played conkers.

I do indeed mostly office work and spend 12 hours per day in front of a PC.

Thanks for all the good ideas, I think I will reduce everything and keep my stalking,fly and float tackle then try to enjoy fishing just to "keep the fire on " and stop all the euro trips for a while.

I will probably sell the big "guns" and with the money I save start a car project again, that will keep me busy. Always been a petrol head but never manage to have both.

I have the whole winter to think about.

Thanks again .

A bad back and respiratory failure left me unable to fish as Im no longer able to carry all the necessary to the bank any longer so I switched my attention to photography which Id got into through the "occasional" trophy shot that introduced me to the SLR and later the digital SLR.

Sometimes you just have to rethink your options, hope you dont need to do this but just know that there can be a good life after fishing is no longer an option...

Edit. ps I still love to be at a lake at sunrise/set

playingforchange.com

Frequent User

Nice pic windknot. I could imagine myself fishing there.

Steve