Thread: 5000t tourneys upgrades

Default 5000t tourneys upgrades

What upgrades are available for these, love mine to bits but wonna make them better,
    Anyone done the slow osilation amd is it worth doing? Alwso what else worth doing to them and ejats everyone done with theres
    seriel blanker

Got the line lay conversion which smooths the reel out and is supposed to improve the cast but ive never measured. The cast does feel smoother if that makes sense. Also have the WD spools with carbon washers and cap, clutch is smooth as silk (i play fish off the clutch) and locked up in half a turn.
    I'd hit that !!!!!!

Ive done the weston speed caps amd fited the washers it come with but was wondering if carbon washer would make any diff, do you think line lay conversion is wortg it?
    seriel blanker

For me carbon washers made a big difference to the spools, clutch is smooth as silk when playing fish, as for the line lay, yes i think it is, certainly reduses the wobble
    I'd hit that !!!!!!

Site Regular

An infinite anti reverse would help lol

Looks like will get mine booked in then
    seriel blanker

Site Connoisseur

Don't bother - Weston stuff is beautifully made and I've had several sets of SS3000's and TS5000T's that I've had FULLY pimped ie. every part from the catalogue, and you just can't polish a turd! Better off selling them and spending that money plus the money you'd spend on upgrades on a modern lightweight better balanced smoother reel with much better retrieve.

All in my opinion of course! Ben

I tend to agree I have the 6ks and have recently bought to ISOs the 6ks still allow for a longer cast but the ISOs are brilliant with better retrieve line clip line lay silky smooth and lighter and the same size as the 5ks. I’ll hang onto my 6ks for the moment (as I have already put better line clips on them when I acquired a forth second hand which was well ropey anyway their only real failing is the noise, weight and retrieve) but I realised some time back that the piece meal upgrade route isn’t worth it when I owned a set of ss2600 although they where nice I just wanted to improve them and when I considered the additional cost of carbon washes better line clip and worm gears and a quick drag system it almost doubeled the original price I hesitated and questioned the sanity and cost and went for a set of Linear Xs which cost very little additional at the time (20 per Reel in effect) and they left the ss2600s in the cold and I was so glad I didn’t waste my money.

I’d even suggest getting shot of the 5ks for Emblem Spod Reels or the shimarno long casts at 120 a piece. Probably wouldn’t cost you a penny if you sold the 5ks.

I was temoted sell them and buy a set of iso lol but do love my tourneys
    seriel blanker

Quote Originally Posted by antz View Post
    Ive done the weston speed caps amd fited the washers it come with but was wondering if carbon washer would make any diff, do you think line lay conversion is wortg it?
    Have some really old Tournies and the clutches were always a problem
    Even with the cap loosened to max the rods would nearly go in on a take.
    Had s full strip down service but this didn’t help, neither did the fitting of Weston speedcaps and the supplied washers. However following advice from a forum member I fitted some Weston carbon washers and all my problems have been solved. Silky smooth very responsive clutch with just half a turn from min to max adjustment.

Don’t get me wrong the tourneys are great reals at least mine are smooth clutch line lay is good line clip of the originals where good etc etc

I have to agree with some of the comments here, for the past 12 years I happily used my 5000t's, recently I got a good deal on a set of ultegra xtd's, been using the shims for a few sessions now and the difference is huge, reels have come on a long way in the years I've been using the tourneys, loving the new reels but the question is will the ultegras still be going strong in 12 years?

Probably not is the answer!!

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by carphooker View Post
    I have to agree with some of the comments here, for the past 12 years I happily used my 5000t's, recently I got a good deal on a set of ultegra xtd's, been using the shims for a few sessions now and the difference is huge, reels have come on a long way in the years I've been using the tourneys, loving the new reels but the question is will the ultegras still be going strong in 12 years?

Also using the same reels as you mate this season. When you use Tourneys they don't feel the best reel you have ever used but they feel like they will last a long long time!
    Visit Our Love Of Carp on Facebook and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by carphooker View Post

Does the line going behind the spool not drive you insane!?
    The wonder of the world,*
    the beauty and the power,*
    the shape of things,*
    their colours,*lights and shades;*
    these I saw.*
    Look ye also while life lasts".

Quote Originally Posted by nwjgoode View Post
    Does the line going behind the spool not drive you insane!?
    on the ultegras? not had it happen .....

Elite (Gold)

Quote Originally Posted by antz View Post
    I was temoted sell them and buy a set of iso lol but do love my tourneys
    Felt the same about mine but fact is the iso's are lighter, smoother, have a better line guard, better clutch, instant anti reverse, better line clip and are proving just as strong. Against that, there a bit bling, no folding handle but I just use neoprene rod bands to keep them in place when not fishing. With the price the iso can be bought for now in my eye's the tourny 5000 is over priced and trading on it's cult status.
    Old enough to retire. poor enough not to.

Due to the ISO handles folding mechanism you can pack them them away far more quickly with a rig on then I could the tournies with their folding handle. I to found that when putting ISOs away that I was bothered by the handle and reel body’s potential damage so I use the gardner ring and lead retainer to strap the handle away for storage etc.