Thread: Making hard hookers and cork dust pop ups

Site Connoisseur

Default Making hard hookers and cork dust pop ups

Hi guys,

Am going to make some hard bottom hookbaits and cork dust pop ups for a looooong trip away. Hoping you amazing people can help me get some inclusion levels right.

I have spoken with my bait supplier and he's saying yes to the below recipe but I'm not sure as I think there's a language barrier! Please can you sanity check for me please?

1kg base mix
    150g egg compound / powder
    100g egg albumin
    15ml salmon oil
    350ml water

Preservative (hasn't said from where or much to add to the above mix)... advice please

That's for the hard bottom hookers... I guess for the cork dust pop ups it's exactly the same levels but with cork dust added! How much would you add to the above mix to make pop ups?

Thanks

Ben

Personally I'd have 50g of whey gel and 20g albumen in the hard hook baits. I wouldn't bother with a preservative either.

I'd make them up in one egg mixes and dry for about a week before glugging and re-drying a few times.

Cork ball popups would be a lot easier. Cork dust can make them difficult to roll. Use the same method above (minus the whey gel) but only use the white of the egg.

No preservative as if hard hookers they will need to be well dried and so should be fine. Maybe add a little glug to be sure. Alternatively contact UB Baits get Matt to do it for you takes away all the hassle and will be spot on.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

I can tell you now that making cork dust pups or wafters is a ****er of a job and best left to pros.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Site Connoisseur

I have used Matt for years bit he won't make me 20mm and 25mm jobbies unfortunately

your bait man is on drugs.

Right Ben for hard hookers
    - sieve the mix, chuck lumpy bits. Add EITHER 10% albumin (so 100g to a kilo) or 50g whay and 50g albumin - the mixed one tends to harden them through to the middle better.
    - use more egg white than whole eggs, for instance use 2 whole eggs and 2 whites - that will harden them further.
    - I personally would add a preservative if making them at this time of year. Its hard to get them really bone dry unless you have them in an airing cupboard or something similar.

Wafters. Get yourself a mug, a plastic airtight bag and either some airball mix or some cork granules.
    - FOR AIRBALL wafters use 3 scoops of your normal basemix, add 2 scoops (i.e. a level mug) or airball mix. Add to the bag, blow some air into it, twist the top and shake to mix the two basemixes together. Roll as normal
    - FOR CORKDUST wafters use 2 scoops of normal basemix to 1 of granules. Or just under 1 of granules actually, unless your mix is particularly heavy.

that'll get you started. Message me on FB about the preserve mate you know where
    Matt
    Rolling little balls of goodness.....as someone on here once called 'em....

Site Connoisseur

Thanks Matt - once a legend always a legend x