Thread: Help A Beginner Out?

Beginner Member

Default Help A Beginner Out?

Hi all,

Literally just joined this forum to ask a few questions. I have yet to buy my own fishing gear and was just wondering if anyone would so kindly lend some advice. I've done abit of fishing here and there, never really any of it serious. Mainly float fishing on freshwater and ledgering in saltwater however that was only a handle full of times. I've fished for carp but that was in a friends lake and if im honest it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Good fun as far as the fight is concerned but didn't seem to require any skill.

Anyway, i'd like to try my hand at freshwater lure fishing particularly using a baitcaster. I see alot of people using them now and it seems to be a growing thing here in the UK. I've only ever used a spinning reel before so it will be completely alien but im willing to give it a shot. I'd like to go after all sorts of freshwater fish from small perch to somewhat big pike (eventually). Thus i'd like an "allround" setup. I've been looking at some rods and reels and if I'm honest im honest (dont hate me) the abu garcia pro max combo seems the most cost effective option. However the problem I'm facing is that the casting weight is 15g to 45g I think. I'd be getting the 6ft 6 model so im not sure if those figures are for the 7ft model or for both. Regardless my main question is would i be able to cast out say a shad with a 6g jighead on it? Will this rod still be effective for a range of lures right down to 5gs? Another option would be the abu garcia devil casting rod which comes in 6ft 6 and has a casting weight of 5-20g which may seem better suited but to buy a seperate reel id be spending more money that the pro max combo and i dont want to since the devil is not as good as a rod as the pro max.

Note: I will most likely be spooling whatever reel with 12lb berkley trilene xl flurocarbon just due to the fact it has less stretch than mono but is easier to manage/ cheaper than braid which seems appropriate for a beginner like myself.

Thoughts and feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Site Regular

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I would advise against using a baitcaster/multiplier reel for such light lures down to 5g. Unless you get a much more expensive reel with better control, I suspect you end up loads of overruns and tangles. I use a fixed spool reel for anything up to 25g and then multipliers for heavier ones (FWIW I use an ABU Record 56 for 25-75g and an ABU 6501 for bigger jerkbaits).
    Steve

I agree - I have great difficulty casting weights under 1oz (28g) easily/accurately with a multiplier. But 2-4oz lures/plugs/etc much much easier!

Welcome to the forum!

With regards pike, if you've never fished for them before, please have some sessions with an experienced pike angler before you go sole!!!

You'll pick up plenty of valuable advice BUT more importantly you'll learn how to handle and unhook them safely. I've seen several novice pike anglers panic once a pike is on the bank and there's nothing more daunting than unhooking a pike for the first time,especially when you don't know what your doing - not only that but fish safety and welfare are paramount!

Learn to walk before you can run. Fish fatality can easily occur with new/inexperienced pike anglers - you might find that you encounter a lot of "jack" pike when using lures - learn how to respect them and care for your catch BEFORE you catch them!

Join the Pike Anglers Club (PAC) - they'll be plenty of members near you willing to offer advice and take you for days out. If you're on facebook then check them out and if you have any questions then don't be scared to ask - we were all novices once.

Have a look at the link below called "Fishing for Pike" on the PAC website that offers advice on pike fishing - all the advice in the world will help you to a certain extent BUT being in a "live" situation with an experienced angler will serve you far better.

Again, if you're on facebook, have a look at the lure fishing groups - there's plenty of experienced anglers on these that can answer general questions and offer good advice on tackle.

https://pacgb.com/fishing-for-pike/
    Get on the Druids!