Thread: Low TC big fish

Beginner Member

Default Low TC big fish

Hi guys first post here.

I fish with Fox Horizon Stalker 2.25TC rods as in England I only fish smallish lakes and usually fish close in, these rods are lovely to play fish on and easily handle the lakes I fish which hold fish to 30lb however I usually catch them in the 12-23lb range.

I have just booked a week at a small 2acre lake in France which holds fish up to 45lb and I am thinking I am going to have to buy some new rods as mine will be a bit light. I have googled and read various opinions such as the TC comes down to casting etc and there is conflicting information. So basically what I want to know is will these rods be ok to land fish that size without being underpowered or should i just go out and buy some more heavy duty rods? I love these rods and they are bang on for 99% of my fishing but just have a feeling they are too light?

Perhaps a touch like for heavy snag fishing, otherwise fine. I regularly visit a lake in France with fish to upper forties, and have happily used 2 1/2Ib Amorphous without feeling at all undergunned. I also used them at Murphy's lake and had fish to low forties fishing along a snaggy tree line. I'd be happy to use your rods - the early guys fishing Cassien would have been using similar! Briggs landed his sixty from there on 1 3/4s IIRC.

As per Hippy's comments above. I regularly fish a six acre lake in France at range and have caught all of my fish using 2.5TC rods including my personal best of 64lbs.

Frequent User

I would certainly say the heavier tc rods are for casting long distance and possibly heavy baits. (Method feeder) and not necessarily for playing big fish. I’d happily fish a 2 acre lake with your rods. Have fun.

Site Regular

I used to use sonik sk4 in 2.75 and had fish to 48 just use them properly and there is no problems.
    I found most bigger fish act more like a dog on a lead and just bore around and you can wind them in pretty easy to under your feet

100% I'd go with the lightest, you can get away with casting wise. I am a strong believer that a locked up 2.5 rod is far more forgiving that a tip bent 3.5. You know where you are with a light test curve and balanced clutch. It infuriates me that people think they have more in the bank to stop a fish lunge with a heavier rod. Lighter rods I find are a natural extension of your arm.

Good luck with whatever your choice.
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

Quote Originally Posted by Bal View Post
    I would certainly say the heavier tc rods are for casting long distance and possibly heavy baits.
    100%.

I did read somewhere that the lower test curve a rod is the greater the amount of pressure it could transfer to the hook. It also discussed the differences of a through action verses fast tapered rods being in a similar vein.

Didnít a German chap catch Mary at 80lb on a 2.5lb Torrix.

Not really a fair test mono against braid and rods held at different angles and not really at 90 degrees either so non conclusive really.

The action of the rod from what little I’ve read in the past has fair greater bearing on the exerted force at the other end than the test curve.