Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beastly - but sharp - hooks?

Site Connoisseur

Default Beastly - but sharp - hooks?

Hi all,

Got the absolute trip of a lifetime next year doing lots of gnarly European snag river fishing and lake fishing for big fish in gnarly conditions. Have bought loads of hooks to look at and play with as listed below:

Continental mugga 2
    Owner c5x 1
    Owner gorilla light 1 (I think it's the same hook as above)
    Solar 101 1
    Drennan conti 1
    Fox curve 2
    Fox short curve 2
    Wide gape x 2
    Wide gape xx 1
    Kurv shank xx 1
    Nash curve shank 2

All have pros and cons and am struggling...

The fox hooks are pin sharp out the packet and seem strong (especially the short curve which is probably my favourite hook ever), but only being size 2 they just don't look or work well with 25mm baits.

The muggas seems to have some flex and also isn't that sharp out of the packet. It's a bit bigger in a 2 than the fox hooks though so does work well mechanically with big baits.

The owners and the contis are hugely strong but are almost blunt out of the packet and I don't really want to sharpen and risk hook points being turned over on river beds or by crays etc.

The solar 101 is averagely sharp averagely strong and averagely big l.

The nash curve is a big hook and seems pretty sharp and strong too... Any experience of them?

The korda wide gape x in a 2 is also pretty sharp and also seems pretty strong and is a really nice size for big baits with a lovely wide gape. Any experience of them? I've read people having standard wide gape snapping on big European fish but not heard much about the thicker gauge x pattern?

The xx's are ****ing massive and ****ing ridiculously strong but also ridiculously bulky and blunt!

Heeeeeelp!

Thanks

Ben

esp cryogen curve shank in size 4 , used them this year and they are tough as nails , sharp enough out the packet but i sharpen them , as i do with all my hooks , def worth a look .....

Site Connoisseur

Thanks dude... looked at esp hooks none are really big enough and also compared to most of the hooks I've listed they have a thinner wire gauge...?

I swear hooks were sharper when i was a kid.
    Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

sort of misread the huge fish / snaggy part , just been on to a mate who fishes for lumps in france all the time , he said look at

carp r us centurions
    ashima goliath

and gamakatsu g point super strong ( if you can find them )

Quote Originally Posted by carphooker View Post
    carp r us centurions
    You won't find more beastly than that! You can get them in size 2 as well. Proper snag hook!

Frequent User

Gamakatsu G Carp Super Snag Hooks are apparently the new version of G Point Super Strongs. Got them in Fosters.

Kontinentals?
    Get you some of that!

i'd say the korda xx and get yourself a file. as the trip is next year spend the long winter nights sharpening the hell out of them.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Site Regular

Try atomic they are like bent sharp nails lol

the old fox s2 if you can find some. I have maybe 20packs left. I use them only in europe . Sad they don't make them anymore.

Not sure what I will do when those 20 packs are gone, there is nothing like the s2 on the market atm.

Absolutely the best hooks I’ve ever used the carp are us centurion 2000 hook.
    Supposedly a kamasan B110 or something hook was the same.
    CRU now have a Matt black hooks.

Defo my fav hooks ever.

Site Connoisseur

Thanks all - I have ordered some Carp R Us Centurion in 2... have that shiny silver high carbon content look so will be strong, hope they're also big for a 2 and sharp... will keep you posted!

Thanks again

Ben

They are sharp

Quote Originally Posted by Edna Birch View Post
    I swear hooks were sharper when i was a kid.
    You had softer hands back then.

Elite (Bronze)

Site Connoisseur

Samandparis - have a pack and they are strong and sharp but quite small in a 2 and go no bigger

Site Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by yonny View Post
    You won't find more beastly than that! You can get them in size 2 as well. Proper snag hook!
    Got my packet of Carp R Us Centurion through today - strong? Yes. Sharp? Yes. But they're absolutely tiny even in the Size 2 : ( Don't have much faith with them with two 25mm baits hanging off the bend : (

I’m happy to use the size 8 with two 20mm baits I’ve held 30lb fish from margininal snags rods rapped rod ready to bust.

The Size 6 is fearful as for anything bigger. Well I’d worry about the rod and line first.

if i were you i would just use the biggest and strongest you can find and then sharpen them up , cos its looking like you are far to picky to find what you're after .........

not an attack on you , just dont think you will find you're perfect hook straight out the packet