Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braid problems

Arma-Kord being the Korda leader - not mainline as it is only 50m?

5 or 6 turns of the shock leaders. What I might do is go over the local playing field and spend a few hours casting a lead, too see if I can work it out.
    Angling Trust Number 55370

Blimey......your brave

Just make sure theres no houses etc within 400 yards...a crackoff could be interesting !
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

ok I take your point but even with a shortish leader of only a few turns on the spool the leader knot needs to be below the other coils of leader. if you don't ensure this and the leader coils have to pass over the knot and can 'grab' the knot which throws the line out of sync. and all sorts of chaos ensues such as frap ups around the butt or 2nd ring etc.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

By the way I am talking from my own experience. For many years I was using a tapered ESP leader and had no problems but switched to a 45lb braid leader (quicksilver)this year and had similar problems as the OP until I started putting the leader knot at the bottom. When using the tapered leaders the knot wasn't an issue because it's tiny but a 45 of 50 lb braid knot is quite a chunky thing. ( Using a Mahin knot btw).
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Whiplash is absolute ****e, has been a few years now.

Get some of the cheap Yellow braid on E Bay in 30lb or 40lb and use it straight through, just soak a few mins before use and very slightly under fill the reel, well over 100yds no problem and all for about a tenner.
    Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

Default Nah

Quote Originally Posted by tenchtamer View Post
    Well your doing it wrong then.
    On account that I have NO snap offs or any problems whatsoever I'd say I'm doing it pretty spot on actually
    Edited for the sensitive prissy meow meows we entertain

Default None

Quote Originally Posted by Olly1 View Post
    Arma-Kord being the Korda leader - not mainline as it is only 50m?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Edna Birch View Post
    Whiplash is absolute ****e, has been a few years now.

Get some of the cheap Yellow braid on E Bay in 30lb or 40lb and use it straight through, just soak a few mins before use and very slightly under fill the reel, well over 100yds no problem and all for about a tenner.
    I'll have a look. Thanks
    Angling Trust Number 55370

Interested in what people mean by having the leader not at the bottom of the spool?
    The first rule of Baitboat Club is you don't talk about Baitboat Club!!!

i was taught many years ago to put the leader knot at the bottom when using any leader. Basically when you wind the leader on to your reel if it is right at the bottom of the spool then when you cast out all the other coils of the leader can leave the spool without passing over the leader knot reducing friction. This allows longer easier casting and reduces chances of frap ups and crack offs.

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttifrutti View Post
    Interested in what people mean by having the leader not at the bottom of the spool?
    Nearer the reel body rather than nearer the spool cap

This is what Terry Edmonds has to say ( probably the best distance caster out there )

One of the big problems with shock leaders is during the cast the knot joining the mainline to the leader can catch on the cast, which can cause crack offs, inconsistent casts and big bunches of line wrapping around the butt ring, it’s always best to have the knot at the back of the spool for casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttifrutti View Post
    I don't and never have done it. I just reel the spod or spomb in. Load and fire. Haven't had a crack off since the late 90s. I don't doubt a bulky knot would cause problems. But my small back to back grinner doesn't need to be at the bottom

Common friggin sense would tell you the smaller the leader knot the better it will fall off the spool.

Jesus h...what next...my knots better than your knot...ffs.stop doing yourself an injustice kaps...you have never had such problems when fishing eh...jesus christ man talk about something other than yourself for a change.

Cheers
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Some carp reels dont like the thinner braids as the oscillation and spools are made for mono lines. Most of the time when people go thinner with the braid it tends to dig into itself on the spool which creates mini jumps and slack spots as the cast is going out. Going thicker with the braid stops this but cuts range. I use fixed spools on the beach with braids down to 0.8 PE ( 15lb ish in 8 strand) with a 5 PE leader (100lb ish) and 6oz leads and have not had a crack off.
    With a braid to braid knot in that breaking strain it should be tiny, check its nice and neat with no tag ends catching. Check the spool rim, it needs to be clean and perfectly smooth for braid. Check the braids not digging into itself on the spool, if you have a slow oscillation that will be a problem with very thin braids, ideally the braid should form a slight criss cross as it goes on so it cant dig into itself. Definately wet it all before you start casting and be aware to keep it 1mm ish below the lip when you fill the spool. Hope that helps, if you get it all set up right with good braids you can cast crazy distances.

Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    Common friggin sense would tell you the smaller the leader knot the better it will fall off the spool.

Jesus h...what next...my knots better than your knot...ffs.stop doing yourself an injustice kaps...you have never had such problems when fishing eh...jesus christ man talk about something other than yourself for a change.

Cheers
    Even Google translate struggled with this one..........

Just remove some braid from the spool! I always suffered from the odd wind knot over the years, until I started under filling my spool whilst using braid. I also find no need to wet the line prior to casting either, and never worry anymore when putting new braid on. I would worry about reducing distance either, a under filled spool of braid will always outcast a fully spooled mono spool (as long as the braid is of a lower diameter)

Site Regular

Perhaps the braid is beded tight enough on the spool , i had this and the braid i was reeling after a cast in was was ending up under the line loaded further down the spool as it was loading tighter on the spool when i reeled in , i had to take it off and reload but with more tension the second time .. worked for me .