Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid problems

Default Braid problems

I have bought new spod & marker reels, Shimano ultgra xsd 3500 comps. I have loaded these with 20lb whiplash and a 45lb shockleader. However I'm getting tangles and crack offs every few casts. I soak the spools before I start, I'm not casting over 70yards at the moment, so not giving a big whack. Any ideas? My 15 year old Shimano marker reel has a heavier braid on it, never tangled once. I know it's sounds obvious, 'get heavier braid' but I really don't want to have to chuck 50 worth of braid if there is a simple answer.
    Angling Trust Number 55370

Site Connoisseur

Give me the whiplash and you use some rope. Obviously user error, a bad workman always blames his tools

Are you remembering to make sure the leader knot is right at the bottom of the spool when you wind it on ??
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

New braid always imo seems to tangle and get wind knots when new on out the box.... also test your knots....
    Get you some of that!

I'm using an Albright know too connect the two braids. No I haven't made sure the leader knot is at the bottom of he spool.

Site Regular

Overfilled?
    Lifes too short, you've got to live it long..

Hows it cracking off ?

Is it wrapping round the bottom section of the rod..round the eye maybe.is it a 50mm butt ?

If so.....your letting the braid go too quickly on the cast out of your finger.
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Wrapping around the the butt or second ring

I have only used braid on my reels for the last few years and have found that by underfilling my spools I have all but eliminated crack offs. I've found that as braid doesn't have the same issues with friction on the spools as mono does that it doesn't make a difference to the distances I am casting however it slow's it just enough to stop wind knots. good luck

Why does it happen with 20lb whiplash, but not with a thicker braid thats on my old Spod & Marker reels?

it's your leader knot mate. always make sure it's at the bottom of the spool and it will stop happening.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchtamer View Post
    it's your leader knot mate. always make sure it's at the bottom of the spool and it will stop happening.
    Ok, I'll give it a go and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by wrongrod View Post
    Why does it happen with 20lb whiplash, but not with a thicker braid thats on my old Spod & Marker reels?
    because the thicker braid is slower to come off the spool due to the increased friction.

I had a friend who was having all sorts of problems with wind knots on a trip up on the St Lawrence in the spring (using 30lb Powerpro). He stripped 50 yards of braid off and hasn't had a wind knot since.

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by NoddiedUp View Post
    Overfilled?
    Exactly my thoughts, I hardly ever wet my braid before casting but when I load the braid leave a large lip on the spool ( under fill ) whiplash is so thin it makes no difference to casting. I can't get on with 20lb whiplash but the 30 is awesome
    All I want to do is do it ........ big girls big girls

Elite (Bronze)

It could be a culmination of the following:

Too much line on the reels, not enough leader on the spools to cast, not wetting the braid enough or casting style. By casting I mean the swinging back and casting as many do with mono. I have found with braid you should cast with the rod tip staying behind you at all times until you finish the cast as it likes to wrap around the tip way more than mono mid cast if you see what I mean. Leader knot I always use a back to back grinner. Casting braid for the first time after being spooled is always a time when wind knots can occur. Have been using braid all year this year namely Whiplash and have had no problems now after the initial teething. Hope this helps! ps. wet the rings on the rod too, your kit can never be too wet.

I NEVER make sure my knot is at the bottom. Never have any problems........thicker braid is inherently stiffer so less tangles.
    Edited for the sensitive prissy meow meows we entertain

Quote Originally Posted by kapscarper View Post
    I NEVER make sure my knot is at the bottom. Never have any problems........thicker braid is inherently stiffer so less tangles.
    Hello Masons, Thats what I'm thinking. I might take the braid off of my old reel and put it on my new reel to see if it makes a difference

I'm sure it will. I use armakord myself and it's def thicker then the 20 whiplash I tie it to. It softens up with use but always retains the diameter.
    Edited for the sensitive prissy meow meows we entertain

Quote Originally Posted by kapscarper View Post
    Well your doing it wrong then.

Quote Originally Posted by tenchtamer View Post
    Well your doing it wrong then.
    Maybe... Maybe not ?

I say because it depends totally on the length of leader I think.the long leader will undoubtedly need the knot at the bottom of the spool.yet a shorter one probably wouldn't.say if it was only 2or 3 turns onto the spool then maybe the knots ok at the top and will come off even easier.
    I agree that the thickness comes into it on the leader though regarding the original post wrapping round the rod and the fact it's brand-new maybe doesn't help.
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt