Thread: Playing a fish to the bank

Elite (Bronze)

Default Playing a fish to the bank

I thought this may be an interesting subject to talk about playing fish and the styles of playing is used from angler to angler. I was thinking about people playing fish with the rod high in the air mostly and wondered why many carp anglers haven't adopted the rod low to the water when playing them?

I remember reading a piece of material by Ritchie McDonald explaining how he would bluff when playing a fish by pulling a fish towards a snag instead of away like many people would. The result was that the fish would often stay away from the snaggy area. I have actually used this myself and must say it can work!

Match anglers also play their fish low to the water and it appears it brings the fish up higher in the water. So it brings a question as to why we wouldn't do so in heavy Weed. Maybe some people already do, just food thought and it would be interesting to hear other people's opinions of the matter.

Regards

Ryan

Thing is with match anglers is that they are not interested in playing the fish out, they just want it in pronto. And the fish they catch generally aren't as capable of a hard fight and the waters are not weedy or snaggy.

I've heard a few people say it before that they have slackened off as a fish heads for a snag and the fish has changed direction. I'm 100% certain I don't have the balls for that!

Rod up high, a good bend in the rod and plenty of fiddling with the clutch for me.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

Im a rod in air man meself.....well...thats when i hook one !

I get the whole rod low thing though.brings em up in water and would be a good tactic for gravel pits i would say.
    Weedy pits....hmmmm...dont matter in my book as they just head for the thickest bit so just end up rod in the air anyway !
    Ritchie mcdonald one..yep.done this myself and know it works...not always but does work.
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Site Regular

Whatever it takes to land it, depends what's infront/ around you and where the fish goes, but will usually start with the rod in the air and see what happens from there

Depends on if I want to turn them or not if a fish swims to my left my rod tip is usually in the right hand side margin and vice verser.

Used the pull from snag direction before and it works really well as they generally pull against the direction you are pulling them towards.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Beginner Member

If the fish is in open water, i like the rod tip high, and savour every second of the fight. If the fish is heading for snags, i will lower the rod tip to the surface, or even submerge it whilst applying side strain, or “giving it a bit of dagger” as some might say.

If a fish manages to reach any snags, i sometimes use the old trick of slackening the line, and putting the rod back into the rest. Sometimes, in fact quite often, the fish may swim out of the snag, the same way it entered, and then i take up the fight again.

I don’t have a set way of playing a fish, i take each situation as it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    I don’t have a set way of playing a fish, i take each situation as it comes.
    Likewise, I adapt to the situation. I don't think it's possible to have a standard way of playing a carp.
    Maybe if you're fishing open water with no potential hazards it's possible in which case I'd just keep the rod high and pump it back gently. Those rare occasions when you can enjoy the fight rather than panic that you're going to lose it and shake a lot lol.....

I like to be in control and lead the fish however If it doesnít work Iíll adopt other methods taking off tension to pinging the line for instance. If I have space to move and apply pressure form a different angle Iíll do that else itís tip into the drunk as much as it allows.

As mentioned it depends on what is going on at the time.

Rod up high, need to get them up and over the bars at times. Quite often a fair bit of walking backwards with the rod if the swim allows, this seems to have a better effect at times than the standard side strain or winding.
    Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by Edna Birch View Post
    Rod up high, need to get them up and over the bars at times. Quite often a fair bit of walking backwards with the rod if the swim allows, this seems to have a better effect at times than the standard side strain or winding.
    Yes, i can remember a few swims, where you had to get the rod high and walk backwards, at the first sign of a take. Otherwise the battle was nearly always short lived.

The topography of the lake plays a major part knowing your swim helps.

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    The topography of the lake plays a major part knowing your swim helps.
    Without any doubt.
    I can remember one very well known lake, where there were very pronounced bars, with zebra mussels to contend with.
    In the early days, it was common to get cut off on the take.
    So Amnesia leaders, and keeping the rod as high as possible, during the initial fight helped a lot.

As you say, knowing the swim is a big help.