Thread: Bite time and double takes

Default Bite time and double takes

I'm sure we've all been there when in the middle of a blank looking day within 5 mins there are multiple takes on the lake. Something just switches on. I've had it more than ever this year and have had 2 in the net at once on 4 different occasions over the past month. Yes, I fish easier type waters, but on two of the occasions they have been the only fish out that day.

They are not even taken off the same spot, in fact Monday's fish came from near and far margin and about 80 yards between them.

Unanswerable question really, but what do people think happens within that 5 mins? I'm not taking the defined feeding times, but the moments within those times?
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

I think it's pure luck; if you have say a 2 hour 'bite time' then the chances of 2 bites in 5 mins is a hell of a lot higher during that period than it is in a 24 hr period. I can understand why you might question 2 bites in such quick secession but if you got the bites an hour apart you might not? Ultimately there is little difference IMO.
    If it's not luck, I have absolutely no idea lol.....

Could be air pressure - noticed lots of activity with thunder storms about!

I've often wondered about this.

Always put I think down to brief moments when the air pressure, temp and light levels were all complimenting each other and this induced the fish to feed. It's happened too many times on too many different lakes to be just one of those things.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

I don't think it can be pressure as it happens during periods of low, high and 'average' pressure!
    Light levels and temps possibly..... but I'd think all that will do is shift your 'bite time' opposed to a specific period within that bite time?

I'm guessing that in order for 'bite times' to exist (which they definitely do) they have to start and end which would suggest the likelihood of a bite increases until a peak moment then decreases after. That moment when multiple takes happen might be right on the peak of bite time?

Yonny, I understand what you're saying, but these are happening not really at defined bite times. In winter, you get to know the hour or so and so agree that multiple captures within 5 mins of the hour have a much increased chance of happening.

I had 4 fish about a week ago when an overnighter had only a single fish to show the night before. My two double takes this day came at midday and again about 6pm. Very coincidently the first was 2 mirrors and the second 2 commons.

Something happens. Dark arts, wizardry and black magic are my guess. I would say maybe bait, but that doesn't work as often matey boy over the way will have a consecutive take.

The only other thing I've noticed on my syndicate lake this year, has been an 'explosion' some days of fish spooking all across a 3 acre lake for no apparent reason. I was the only one there, no loud noise, no take just 10 fish suddenly boiling up...

Appreciate they are only fish, but they are playing me.... I go all day for nowt, then two of them stitch my lines together, and stick 50lb of angry fish in a net that used to having bream and tench ;0)

Wizardry
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

Site Regular

I used to have one of those fish en time watches my parents bought me for my 21st birthday it worked on tide, magnetic voodoo, and gave 4 peak fishing times a day it kind of worked when i finally got it set up right as you had to get the equator oojy maflip right (tell it where you lived basiclly)and moon state etc

Winter its happened a few times for me...thats a definate bite time hr as you can set your watches by them
    Summertime...imo its patrol routes.if you find one and a group of fish come across you then wallop !
    Might be taliking utter crud...but like you say.happened a few times so maybe ?
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Quote Originally Posted by rperry View Post
    these are happening not really at defined bite times.
    Right, I get ya!
    Black magic for sure lol

Quote Originally Posted by framey007 View Post
    I used to have one of those fish en time watches my parents bought me for my 21st birthday it worked on tide, magnetic voodoo, and gave 4 peak fishing times a day it kind of worked when i finally got it set up right as you had to get the equator oojy maflip right (tell it where you lived basiclly)and moon state etc
    I have an app that does that, I check it whenever I or anyone else has a fish and it's almost always during a peak; I'd say it's 90% accurate.

Site Regular

There's a particular lake I fish, which is very well stocked and fairly easy, where this is common. You can sit there for a while with nothing happening and then when you do get a take, so do several other people fishing at different ends of the lake. Double takes are also fairly common.

It must be something to do with the conditions (atmospheric pressure, water temp, light levels?) being just right for a short window. I remember reading an article by Brian Mills in Rod Hutchinson's Carp Inspirations book where he talks about this, I must re-read it.
    "Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play."

I tend to see this with shows as well. They like to show on my water and it's not unusual to see a bunch of carp each morning but you'll often find you'll see 4 in 5 minutes then nothing, then the same again an hour or two later. Wonder if it might be related in some way?

Maybe it's peak conditions for a hatch of flies, or bloodworm or whatever for a brief period which sparks the fish into action.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

Maybe un related..but

Do any of you lot fly fish ?

Some days you can catch tons..others you cant buy a take with them jumping all over you !

When you look close enough on the surface you see tons of little black flies / midges....so maybe the hatch thing is more common in carping than anything ? How many have cast to showing fish and caught nowt....one place i can think of that this happens a lot is farlows...frustrating i tell you.so i come to the conclusion that if they are showing..avoid em ! Lol
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt