Thread: SS3000 drag query

Default SS3000 drag query

I've recently acquired a lovely set of original square drive SS3000's. However, I'm used to my unadulterated Tournies that have their original clutches. The SS3000's have Weston speed caps but I find it's very easy to overtighten the clutch when playing a fish, a recipe for disaster as there is no room for error.

Fortunately I have the original spool caps and washers.

Is this an easy conversion to put them back in their original state or am I best sending them for someone else to do. I have no skills in this respect and would fear ****ing things up unless it's dead simple to do.

Any advice please.

Dimbers

Site Connoisseur

I think it is quite easy, looking at the spool from the top there is a metal clip you need to remove this then there are 10 washers five metal and 5 that are either carbon or a form of plastic.

Remove these washers one by one placing them down in the order you take them out noting that (in order you removed them ) metal washers 2 and 4 have little locating pins on them.

When you refit them you need to replace the carbon or plastic washers for your felt washers so firstly fit felt washer, then flat metal washer, then felt washer, then first metal washer with pins facing down into either of the two locations it can fit, then felt washer, then flat metal washer, then felt washer, then second metal washer with pins facing down but put this opposite the first metal washer so the pins are in the other set of locating slots, then last felt washer and finally last flat metal washer.

Refit metal clip and away you go, something else you may want to consider is just trying your reels with either standard spool cap and fast washers or weston speed cap and felt washers to decide what you prefer, another thing for intermediate speeds is to fit some felt and some fast washers ie two felt washers and 3 fast washer would give you a compromise clutch speed.

Thanks Woody. Just the advice I was after in relation to bespoking the drag.

Fit carbon washers you wont be disappointed best thing I ever did with mine.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Carbon washers in conjunction the original drag caps, not the Weston speedcaps I take it ?

Had a conversation with Garry at Custom Reels and all sorted. Carbon washer kits on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimbers View Post
    Carbon washers in conjunction the original drag caps, not the Weston speedcaps I take it ?
    Its a personal preference thing really. I use the speedcaps on mine with carbon washers. But like I say its horses for courses. I don't like to have to turn the cap loads to get the clutch in play.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!