Thread: New Barrow ?

Default New Barrow ?

After a new Barrow had the Chub one for years with the under bag,starting to feel a little unstable with the amount of gear I carry these days !! New Barrow needs to be strong & light with a bag that collapse's and folds away.Preferable a puncture proof tyre.Looked at the prestige mk2 and have been told the under bag needs to be taken off to collapse so that won't work for me,as it's got to be quick & easy ?
    Any thoughts guys ?

The Avid Transit X is well worth a look at. It folds flat and can carry a lot of gear. Scaled down for an over nighter and it's a breeze. For all the mod cons decent Bivvy (brolly and throw over) kit, bait, beer TV BBQ etc for two nights I usually do two trips to make life easy (I take to much gear anyhow).

It took a little getting used to loading it and I think it's much better than my previous Prestige Low Loader (I appreciate its not the same as the mk4) I'd say the LL was 80% the Transit X. The Low loader is pretty good on reflection the Tx is just a lot better and as stable when bags are secured and load spread out correctly.

Totally sold on the new fox explorer - the best balanced barrow I have ever used, and lots of little touches, like folding the front shelf in and out depending on the amount of kit youre using, and the underbag simply lifting in and out of place. Really top notch piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
    Totally sold on the new fox explorer - the best balanced barrow I have ever used, and lots of little touches, like folding the front shelf in and out depending on the amount of kit youre using, and the underbag simply lifting in and out of place. Really top notch piece of kit.
    Cheers Kev I've been plumbing towards this one,I think you've made my mind up ! It's Been getting good reviews.

I got mine after Stew Burrows raved about his. Even better if you add the additional luggage that's designed for it.

I've not used the fox barrow but at the time i purchased the Avid i was convinced it was the best of all barrows. Still get plenty of comments about it now, usually along the lines of wow that's looks dam sturdy etc and it is and probably better than the fox which didn't impress me anymore than the low loader in fact I think the low loader is still better than most barrows out there.

I actually think the Transit X would be a better barrow to the fox. It has a better handle adjustment, it has side bars and comes with a front bag.

Fox did do a two to one adjustable wheel barrow that's makes the Avid look slightly small but they stopped doing them a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
    +1
    Maybe its because i'm a londoner

Frequent User

If you could stretch to a Power Porter you will never go back to that primitive way of pushing , plus you can load the kitchen sink on as well as all your gear
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

I can't help but agree. From the reviews and the praise from a pal the new 24v power porter will be my next upgrade for me, it maybe a few years yet mind.

Frequent User

The size of the Barrow is dependent on if your going Fishing or Camping.
    Up The Cobblers.

Site Regular

I would recommend the carp porter mk2 Streamline barrow 2017 , the frame breaks down into 2 halves and it has the new drop in bag like the fox one , I had the Fox Explorer
    and sold it after 2 trips out and find the Streamline much better ,same size as the normal mk2 but more compact ,has the pannier type bags each side of the wheel like the Explorer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlinn View Post
    I've not used the fox barrow but at the time i purchased the Avid i was convinced it was the best of all barrows. Still get plenty of comments about it now, usually along the lines of wow that's looks dam sturdy etc and it is and probably better than the fox which didn't impress me anymore than the low loader in fact I think the low loader is still better than most barrows out there.

I actually think the Transit X would be a better barrow to the fox. It has a better handle adjustment, it has side bars and comes with a front bag.

Fox did do a two to one adjustable wheel barrow that's makes the Avid look slightly small but they stopped doing them a few years ago.
    I have praise for the Transit X, me and a couple of mates have them, so well made and designed. Seems to be built like a tank.

Transit x for me too.. better than any of the prestige ones by a long way. It's very low and wide so it doesn't tip over. The handles adjust in height so the legs aren't hitting the floor if your short. Plus the bags you get with it are the best I've used. Can get half your gear in those. Leaving loads of space on the barrow. The only criticism is the sides have no adjustment at all. But I just took them off straight away.
    The wonder of the world,*
    the beauty and the power,*
    the shape of things,*
    their colours,*lights and shades;*
    these I saw.*
    Look ye also while life lasts".