Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New one stop bait shop opening in maidenehead

Creating a place where anglers want to come and hang out will be your niche. I haven't been to a shop yet where I felt that I'd want to hang around or that I'd even felt welcome in.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

Cheers for the toughts and opinions so far guys, agree Matt, no cheap tat on my shelves! and it certainly wont be a barrys 1 walkaround!

Elty..totally agree, and one of the reasons I want it to work!.as like you thats my experience, Its funny how the only shop to survive the last 5 years is the only shop where the owner genuinely appreciates your visit!..oh and hes embraced the internet!...
    Still buzzin.......they exist

im not so sure about it myself who has the time nowadays to hang around chatting for hours when time spent fishing is precious. Tackle and Bait will always be ready before I leave the drive so it's phone and internet orders for me in preparation to those few frame wekeeds. I'm just saying like.

Appreciate your feedback JSlinn, and do agree, but many anglers do want to still touch...feel..smell and look at products before they purchase...also the aim is to bring back a bit of that old school community vibe...but I'm not daft..and will have a good online presence aswell..its a bit of an adventure for me really...one can but try!

There's a niche...get it filled...

If i had a similar set up near to me, I'd probably spend an awful lot of time there....sometimes you need to get your fix...

Most tackle shops etc aren't welcoming, with know it all ball bags that work there, and they love to look down their nose at you...and yet they moan about why people buy online...

ATB Bramley, make it happen.

Site Regular

Remember to cost in the factor that between 3-6 months of the year, you'll not be doing much busy at all......depending on how bad the winter months are.

Quote Originally Posted by Goooey View Post
    There's a niche...get it filled...

If i had a similar set up near to me, I'd probably spend an awful lot of time there....sometimes you need to get your fix...

Most tackle shops etc aren't welcoming, with know it all ball bags that work there, and they love to look down their nose at you...and yet they moan about why people buy online...

ATB Bramley, make it happen.
    Cheers mate. I'll certainly give it a good go!

Confirmed the in the for sale thread there will be no more liquid krill tho? Sounds like a place i would go tho if it was near me. Maggot sales would also be a must as mentioned above.
    Get you some of that!

Unfortunately no more thick krill..I'm gutted aswell!...I've got about 70 litres left. When it's gone it's gone..(I'll be keeping 10litres for my own fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by brey View Post
    Remember to cost in the factor that between 3-6 months of the year, you'll not be doing much busy at all......depending on how bad the winter months are.
    Supplement the stocks with decent bulk dead baits and the tills should keep ticking over.

Having known Tony for the best part of 15 years now I know he will make it work.

**sam**

Cheers Sam, that's a good shout mate.

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Supplement the stocks with decent bulk dead baits and the tills should keep ticking over.

Having known Tony for the best part of 15 years now I know he will make it work.

**sam**
    Having been a serious Pike angler for longer than I can remember , there is a lack of decent deadbait suppliers. Often at the beginning of the winter all you can get hold of is last winters left over stock as shops won't buy in fresh until they have sold off the old. Anyone who seriously Pike fishes knows how bad old deads are. This would be a good earner if you can suppy it fresh. Its a case of getting your stock levels right at the end of the winter I guess.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Bramley I wish you the best of luck I sincerely do and I agree if you can keep the stock rolling out the door then you are onto a winner. I'm sure there is a demand for high quality bait. I'd certainly try from home and utilise the internet first and walk my local lakes to try and drum up business.

I’d be interested to see if it works as everything is done online these days! But do believe it’s still important to have the touch feel and smell approach.

I live on the A4 and would defiantly be a good area to set something up! And I’d be a customer!
    In my day you still could not catch them

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Nash View Post
    I’d be interested to see if it works as everything is done online these days! But do believe it’s still important to have the touch feel and smell approach.

I live on the A4 and would defiantly be a good area to set something up! And I’d be a customer!
    It's definatly a risk, but once it's set up people will slowly start to come, if anything it will be a very nice place to come and pick up some pellet and salmon oil!....it will have everything...all cooked fresh particle, pellet, every liquid you can imagine!...and a small range of high quality boilie. Oh and a fish tank and sofa!..Help your self tea station and large biscuit and cake tin! There will be no attitude, no strange vibe as you walk in, and I'm hoping it will become a bit of a local social hub..the key is local support...I will have a strong online presence, but that takes time, the immediate business will come from people supporting it.
    I'll announce an open day on here when I have a date. So pop by Henry, I think your going to like it!

Well it all sounds very interesting and I hope it takes off! As you already know the key would be getting a good name for yourself and the rest will follow!

Would the shop be open 7 days a week 9-5 job or more evenings and weekends?

Cheers Henry, at first it will be just certain evenings and weekends...ill have to see how it works out.

If you need help with social media advertising just let me know as that’s part of my job! Happy to help out if you need.

Only one problem with this Tony its a 140 mile round trip from sunny Essex.

Good luck mate. Hope it works out.

Cheers Si,

well worth the trip for that hemp oil though buddy!