Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New one stop bait shop opening in maidenehead

Default New one stop bait shop opening in maidenehead

Hi all,

Would appreciate your thoughts on the following...

A one stop bait shop operating in the Berkshire/maidenhead area...not shelves full of tack and crap pellet, or cheap glycerine bait dips, but a space full of high quality top end oils(believe me there is plenty of bottom end out there)pure uncut krill/salmon tuna hydrolysed liquids....bespoke liquid foods...top end high quality old school fishmeal boilies and proper birdfood baits(baits how they used to be!) Freezers full of particle prepared to a high standard..shelves full of corkballs..pop ups...decent pellet..and stickmixes..etc etc etc....a real Aladdin's cave of all things bait. (maybe even maggot and worms?....

A place where people can come and hang out...have teas/coffee.sit on a sofa..and chill for a bit.and chat all things fishy/carpy?....

Ill await...the bullets!!!
    Still buzzin.......they exist

Site Regular

Got the address lol

Quote Originally Posted by framey007 View Post
    Got the address lol
    Lol! possibly!....

Quote Originally Posted by BRAMLEY View Post
    Hi all,

Would appreciate your thoughts on the following...

A one stop bait shop operating in the Berkshire/maidenhead area...not shelves full of tack and crap pellet, or cheap glycerine bait dips, but a space full of high quality top end oils(believe me there is plenty of bottom end out there)pure uncut krill/salmon tuna hydrolysed liquids....bespoke liquid foods...top end high quality old school fishmeal boilies and proper birdfood baits(baits how they used to be!) Freezers full of particle prepared to a high standard..shelves full of corkballs..pop ups...decent pellet..and stickmixes..etc etc etc....a real Aladdin's cave of all things bait. (maybe even maggot and worms?....

A place where people can come and hang out...have teas/coffee.sit on a sofa..and chill for a bit.and chat all things fishy/carpy?....

Ill await...the bullets!!!
    Yeah, why not? Sounds good.

How much for a gallon of casters?

It's a great concept, however it's going to all be about the numbers.

If you got somewhere halve sensible to rent, I'd still imagine with other overheads your looking at 500 a week (complete guess). So you're then looking at having to take about 1k a week, which may not sound a lot, but many on line bait companies (without the overhead) have struggled, especially during the winter. Tackle shops just need the odd big spender, which is rarer on bait. The margins would need to be 100% so you make 5 on every 10 you sell, some products that's easy, others, in this world of the Internet are harder to achieve.

Have you thought about alternative, how you may be able to 'bolt on' such a business to somewhere local? Are there any places that maybe you could test out the theory, church halls, pubs with a function room, that you do a sat/Sunday, testing the water?

Alternatively farm shops with an outbuilding to rent, local pet rescue, a builders that not open at the weekend, any local lakes, I'd look for cheap space, part time at first, you'd soon get a feel if it's worth signing up to a lease. Good luck if you do give it a go.
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

It sounds like heaven !
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Access to a heap of local venues would help. It's the overheads that are going to hurt.
    Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

John Maynard Keynes

The reason for my post was due to a very old tv show about 'going it alone' where they looked at people wanting to start a business and getting a feel for demand.

A couple wanted to open a small ish restaurant. It had about 60 seats. They asked the couple why, they said it was a small village and could do with a decent place to eat. The guy asked the couple where they usually went, they replied the next village had their favourite restaurant, and they went there birthdays and anniversaries, about 4 times a year.

He then asked how many days they would open, they replied lunch and dinner 6 days a week. He then said, so you have at least 6 X 60, twice a day = 720 covers per week, or over 30k a year, and your Best customers (it's their favourite) will take up 8 of those covers (2 people 4 times a year). Now I get its a very different thing, but the multiplier still works. How much 'stuff' do you need to shift per year, divided by the hardcore and you will see spend per head. If it was local to me, I'd probably spend on average, say 500, your profit would be around 250.... Even someone that spends 1k a year, that's just 500 and a tenner a week profit.
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    And where you go we follow, we follow, we follow,
    Cause we support the The Palace, The Palace, The Palace
    and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it

The famous Alan Mullery went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he said....................

The rent is reasonable..and inclusive of water/electricity. Lots of local lakes...and river nearby. Access is literally just of the A4 bath road...so all through to slough and back to reading. As has been said just need the numbers, and support of the Berkshire based anglers.

sounds a great idea , if you looked into everything and think it would work then why not , perhaps start trading online first before committing to signing up to a lease on a shop

Go for it .....This time next year Rodders.....

Regards Tad.

Big risk in today's market mate, but if you've got the balls, go for it!

didn't hinders of swindon offer something like this?
    from the skool of hard knocks and the university of life

Frequent User

Maggots and worms are essential for me.

Easy parking?

Place sounds bloody awesome but it could never work without an online presence IMO.

Agreed yonny. That will be a big part of it. And also free local delivery to lakes etc.

Any chance of a branch up north ?
    The four things I will never understand are; Fish, women and mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAMLEY View Post
    Agreed yonny. That will be a big part of it. And also free local delivery to lakes etc.
    Looking at the response to your oil/hydroslate threads you'll have no problem attracting repeat business fella.
    I'd be one to use any web service for sure.

You've got to be brave with your pricing and offer top quality. There's loads of outlets selling cheap tackle and bait, even the big bait companies have resorted to selling cheap bait, there's definitely a market for quality, real quality, at a decent price. If you offer a really high end product like your krill liquid, instead of watered down crap, people will buy it and pay a premium for it.
    I am in the same market dare I say it - 90% of anglers are never going to pay over a tenner for a pot of pop ups. Those that do, will tell you they're worth every penny, and come back time and time again to buy some more. Go for that 10% of the good anglers that "get" it.

good luck with it,
    Matt
    Rolling little balls of goodness.....as someone on here once called 'em....