Thread: Is pole fishing as fun as rod and reel?

Beginner Member

Default Is pole fishing as fun as rod and reel?

Hi chaps

First post in the forum here so be nice

For me, fishing with rod and reel is great fun because of the fight. Trying to catch the biggest fish possible with the lightest gear. Feeling the fish fight, pulling the line. To hear the sound of the drag. That's where I take pleasure in fishing. So my question is would I get as much fun from fishing using a pole? I know all pros and cons and I've decided that it is something I want to try but only if it's fun in the way I think fun is. Would you mind sharing your oppinion with me please? I don't want to regret it especially after spending 500+

Cheers

Site Regular

Different, challenging in a different way and just as much fun

I usually only pole fish in the margins for lumps and seeing the elastic go streaming out is every bit as much fun as a screaming drag

Frequent User

Much depends on the individual. I have a decent pole, though it's getting a little long in the tooth now. I enjoy catching fish with it just as much as I do on rod and line. Sometimes it's the most effective tool to put more fish on the bank. However, the pole has barely been used for five years or so. I just can't be pestered with the rigmarole that's needed to make using it as easy and safe (for the pole) as possible. It doesn't help that I prefer to fish venues that are far better suited to running line. If I end up fishing on venues, or for species, where the pole is the best option, I'll have no qualms about using it.
    Fabricatum Diem, Pvnc!

Elite (Silver)

Pole fishing can be tremendous fun whether it be fishing for silvers or lumps.
    It's all down to using the right top kit/elastic/line combination for the species you are fishing for and the specific conditions where you are fishing.

For instance, for real excitement you can't beat pole fishing for carp with the float hard up against a patch of lily pads, that really is heart-in-the-mouth fishing, especially on venues where the carp go to 30lb plus.
    But for that you'll need a power top set with min 20/22 elastic, oh and a lighting fast reaction otherwise even quite small carp will be through the pads and out the other side before you know what's happening.
    It's great fun, believe me.
    I came, I saw, I played conkers.

Site Regular

I found it hard work without a proper seat box gave me an achey breaky back lol

Beginner Member

I've decided that I want to have a go with it and I am thinking about buying a seat box as well. Now trying to decide what to buy. Not an easy task considering that I don't know much about it
    Thinking about buying Preston Aerotex 8151 16m but maybe it's too ancient? Or maybe downsize to 14.5m or 13m and get something newer. Decisions, decisions...