Thread: Newbie to fishing

Beginner Member

Default Newbie to fishing

Hi all, I'm completely new to fishing and tbh don't have a clue what I'm doing/talking about. Me and my boy are wanting to get into a bit of carp fishing but don't know what the right rod and reel would be for a good starting point, from doing a bit of research online I've been thinking about buying a Fox Warrior X 12ft 2.75 rod and combining it with the Daiwa Tournament SS2600. Just wondered what people's thoughts where on this combo and if it would be sufficient to last hopefully last a long time?! Cheers in advance, Joe.

Wouldn't be my choice.

Daiwa Emblem 5000s (Golds) reels (with a 12 lb line) plus a 3lb TC rod the Tackle Box rods are certainly worthy or the Soniks.

That would be a fine starting choice. For the most part, rods are rods and a daiwa or shimano reel will last as long as you need it to.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

what was it that drew you to carp fishing and not another branch of the sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
    what was it that drew you to carp fishing and not another branch of the sport?
    The sex, the drugs and Danny Fairbrass.
    Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

Beginner Member

Thinking carp simply because we have a local pond just down the road which has some pretty decent fish in there been told they go up to around 14 lbs, and there's also a couple of places just a ten minute drive away that have day tickets where I've been told you can get some big'n's in. We've got a nice tackle shop in town but if like me you don't know the ducking 'lingo' they will just try flog you any thing!

Site Regular

Where are you in the country, local clubs do taster sessions and loan equipment

I would suggest starting with float fishing and gradually switching to carp, which can require patience

Most carp ponds do not need carp rods and are more fun on lighter gear. If you want advice on this happy to answer.

I rarely use over 2.5lbtc 10ft rods, only doing so where there are catfish or I need to fish at range. Rods I use are tfg 10ft compact carp, lovely and if you need bigger rods can become your margin or floater rod

Reels, ss2600 is not a bait runner, suggest getting a baitrunner to start with if going Carp fishing with alarms etc.

Shimano 6000 DLS are 50 or so

The rods and reels you have in mind will do you fine. Just remember to always loosen the clutch ( front drag ) on the reels so line can peel off easily....otherwise you could have a rod pulled in, even by a smaller carp. Alternatively, look at a baitrunner type reel. Flick the lever on the back of one of these and you will automatically engage the freespin feature. Get a net big enough for the size fish you are likely to catch and also an unhooking mat. Your local tackle dealer should, if he's a decent sort of bloke, be able to offer you help and advise what basic bits you need to get you started.

Don't get too bogged down in the technical details of all the different rigs and the mind boggling array of end tackle available. Initially keep things really simple. Basic hair rigs on a leadclip set up. All of which is available to buy pre made / ready tied. Again, any tackle shop should be happy to show you how to set up these rigs correctly. No need for boilies at this stage ! Two or three grains of sweetcorn over a light scattering of free bait, perhaps a bit of pellet, under a near side bush or tree will see you get amongst some fish. Try float fishing bread or corn under a waggler float. Simpler still, free line some bread on the hook to try and get a the carp to take off the surface. Just be wary of birds and any local rules on baits and methods. Watch the early Carl and Alex fishing videos on Youtube. Excellent viewing. Those videos can even teach some of us 'long in the tooth' carp anglers a thing or two, or at least remind us what it's all about, the thrill and excitement. Their 'back to basics' approach and simple style of angling, coupled with their enthusiasm will really whet your appetites.

The very best of luck.

Beginner Member

Cheers for that Dimbers great advise!