Thread: Baitrunner

Beginner Member

Default Baitrunner

Hi
    First post on the forum!
    Just a question lads what baitrunner do you use for deadbaiting ? I was looking Shimanos as I've used them in the past and have served well! I'd be fishing rivers to medium lakes and I'm thinking an 8000 would suit.. what models would you suggest? I was looking at the x aeros.. OC baitrunner..

Thanks.

Beginner Member

Hi,

My first post too!!

I've used 8000 GTE's for years without fail. Old but brilliant reels. Available on action sites at decent prices

The 8000 would be fine as for the models to choose from it's really up to you as to the amount of money spent but have a look at some your local tackle dealer etc would be a place to start.

I used 6000 GTE's on my pike rods for years - they're now on my barbel rods!

The 6000's were perfect for the Lincs rivers/drains I fish and served my pike fishing well - imo the 6000GTE's are far better than the 6010's,RE's and the newer ST's,DL's etc. The GTE-B'S are a tad better than the GTE's but I hate the silver paint - it chips so easily so i got rid before I lost too much value on them.

For my pike fishing I've gone back to Daiwa and currently 2650's as I got a good deal on a mint pair - I've previously used Regal 4050 x's and you get a lot of reel for around 30 secondhand - you certainly won't get any better for the price. The newer Regals (BR Plus are poor) in comparison to the older 4050 and I'd advise staying away from them - too much wobble in the handle!

If you fish small drains/rivers or short distances then the GTE's will serve you well - for a cheaper reel then look at the older Daiwa models as previously mentioned, you won't be disappointed!
    Get on the Druids!

You don't need a baitrunner reel - I never use it when piking! Open bail arm works - no resistance at all.