Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secret squirrels........

Default Secret squirrels........

Now then......where do I start

I have come across and know a few of them.....fine

What does my nut and ****es me off is the fact that I am quite open in what I tell people. The only exception being if I see fish and am in the process of moving onto em !
    Now what gets me is when you speak to known squirrels, I always say "let me know if you have anything.I will do you a picture mate".... Then comes all the Norma! " OK mate,will do no worries "....off they go.

Then..after telling them of fish showing in a certain area and then squirrel fishing that area......I found out 3 weeks later that squirrels had 2 that night...and not said a word !
    So now...I am along the lines of **** em !

Am I wrong ??
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Elite (Bronze)

I am in exactly the same position as you mate. I have drawn the same conclusion. Had exactly the same happen to me.
    Now I take no notice of them and say NOTHING!

Ok..i get it that people want to keep catches quiet...but seriously why ?
    We fish for the same fish...so if they catch one of the big girls...why not share it ? If i only see such a fish on the bank....thats fine by me.it fuels the desire to fish that lake.

rex hunt

Some people are just like that, I put it down to them being selfish and not being very good at things. Probably don't have syblings generally not particularly liked.

Been around for eons, so how do I handle them well I like to share info so Input the time in do my own thing and I don't care what others do. More recently I advised someone on what bait to use and he claimed credit for it. I was the only one catching this winter and he was straight round asking me what I was doing where I was fishing what bait rig etc etc just makes me laugh because when I'm not catching I push myself and take the challenge on rather than copy others.

Maybe he doesn't get any enjoyment out of sharing the moment. He goes fishing for himself. Maybe he's a social hand grenade and just can't handle that kind of moment.

I'm in your camp though. Share what info I can and if it helps then I'm happy knowing I helped. Also reinforces what I think I know about the lake. I seem to be on a lake at the moment where everyone is happy to help and be helped, which is nice.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

All depends on the water and who fishes it surely?

I'm no stranger to secrecy, especially back in the day. Different people take different things from fishing.
    For example, if i started fishing a big wind swept pit, for just a handful of fish. On starting there i find hardly anybody fishes, except somebody who's put a lot of time and effort in, and been rewarded a few times. Would i expect that guy to share and divulge with me? No.
    However, on a smaller friendlier club water, yes, quite possibly.

Elite (Bronze)

I was getting on really well with somebody where I fish and when another lad caught one, I congratulated him. The guy I did get on with has never spoken to me since. It's laughable, it doesn't bother me at all but it makes me wonder how peoples minds work!

A good few years ago I met a fellow club member (and member of this forum) in the Car Park at my chosen venue (Sept / Oct time), I'd known this chap for probably 5-6 years at this point, we had the usual chat and then we came onto what I'd been having, I told him and produced a few trophy shots... I then asked what about yourself? Any good recently? Amazingly I got an intake of breath in reply and "oh I can't tell you that until the spring"... my response was "I tell you what pal, don't bother I'm not that interested" never spoken tho the idiot since.

On another occasion I'd gone to the lake to congratulate a mate on a capture, whilst there he told me the guy next door had just had a brace of 40's (we both knew this guy), but my mate said don't say anything that he'd told me which I agreed to.
    On my way back to the carpark I stopped at the guys swim and asked how it was going? No good, not seen a thing was the reply...
    Unbelievable, straight up liar.

I really cannot stand all of this, I used to be a tell everyone everything kind of angler, I get one or two overnighters a week so rarely get the chance to get something going on the busy waters I Fish but have now changed to telling people if they ask and that's it.
    Wriggle Wriggle..............

Maybe it does depend on what water you fish etc etc...?

But generally speaking if someone says they will let you know if they have anything and 3 weeks later you find out they had 2 that night.....and i might add..that i said where the fish were that night and still nowt..

It does leave me in a position of thinking f you then " mate"...!
    I tend to find most anglers are pretth decent people...well,most anyhow.and now i think i may well just tell people who i trust and thats that.

rex hunt

Site Connoisseur

i have to admit to being a secret squirrel of sorts! : / I chat to regulars and tell them about previous sessions including spots etc. but don't tell them much about the current session until it's over or coming to an end. had too many people move onto me and **** things up... where being on fish is critical and they can move off under pressure I don't think it's that out of order?

No mate.same boat as most of us i would say.

rex hunt

Site Regular

I think most lads keep some stuff quiet. I will help people, but it does seem that a lot of anglers these days just want to know if you have caught anything so they can jump into the swim next door or opposite. Which usually ****s it up for everyone. So I play it by ear.

Site Regular

Also I do know some very secretive anglers, if they don't want say what they've caught etc, what's the big deal really? Is it anyone else's business!!

I know some ss as well mate...my gripes not about them as such..my gripes with the people that you say to people where the fish are and they say ok..go and fish said swim and before they go you say politely...let me know if you have anything mate......and they say they will do.

Then dont hear nowt till 3 weeks later when someone tells you that person had 2 out of that swim that night !
    Thast my gripe.thats why i have come to the conclusion of saying sweet fa to such people as you het nowt back !

rex hunt

i wish everyone was a secret squirrel , would make things alot more interesting.......

Elite (Bronze) dave "the blanker" box's Avatar

i do it all the time, its nothing personal. If you're good at self takes why are you gonna wake the bloke up next door for a picture? The main reason is if you talk to some anglers they become a 'punisher' for the rest of the session and can ruin the whole trip.
    rome wasnt built in a day

It's nice to help and to be helped but for me it's far more rewarding learning about a lake yourself.

Yes it's tempting to jump the carp queue by using information given away but it takes away the gloss from the captures.

12 wraps in front silty, use this rig this bait.

No thanks.

Site Connoisseur

Surely all this is no publicity and you shouldnt even be airing it?!?!

Site Regular

This must be one of those popcorn threads! Lol.
    Has Jeames been rumbled?

Quote Originally Posted by nick29 View Post
    I hope your not talking about me James???

If you are, I was already looking at that swim before coming round to talk to you as i often fish it, you said you had seen fish showing in front of there but didn't want to move when i had asked why you are not fishing it. I went back to the swim and saw fish showing so i fished it.

As you know i only fish overnighters, didn't even leave my house till 7:15pm that night, caught two by 9:30pm and had left the lake by 6:30am.

I haven't even fished the lake since, did you expect me to call you up and tell you about it when i was at work.

Don't talk crap Jimbo because your too lazy to move and now cause the lake is now shut you feel you missed an opportunity.

You have my phone number why don't you get in touch, i am certainly not a secret squirrel and you know that!!!!
    Nickyboy !

No mate,im not talking about you ! A little lake just down from me is where this happened mate.

rex hunt