Thread: Pole Elastication - Top Kits and Cupping Kits

Beginner Member

Smile Pole Elastication - Top Kits and Cupping Kits

Hi all!

I've just joined the forum so hello to you all Hopefully I can share my own advice and gain some new tips and tricks in the process from you all!

I have a question regarding pole elastication. I've been fishing for around 15 years now so I have a decent amount of knowledge of course and Carp fishing. However, I'm struggling a little with my pole as I've never actually had to elasticate my top kits (bought a pole with top kits already elasticated). I've just bought a Maver Grimreaper 13m pole. Used but in very good condition. It's come with 4 top kits all elasticated to different ratings. It's also come with a cupping kit. Unfortunately the top kits are all at different lengths and the cupping kit is the longest of the sections. I'm wanting to know if I can actually cut the cupping kit down a little to match the top kits? 2 top kits are longer than the other 2 top kits so basically I'm wanting everything the same length. There's no point having a cupping kit at different lengths to top kits right!

I'm worried that if I cut the top kits back too much I will be unable to find a large enough PTFE bush to fit the top kits. Especially if I'm wanting to use a light elastic e.g 3/4.

Any help on this would be brilliant! Thanks in advance

Andy

Site Regular

Been a while since I used a pole, how much difference in lengths are they, if it's just a few inches you may be better just making slight adjustments on where you hold the pole?

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by andyd View Post
    Been a while since I used a pole, how much difference in lengths are they, if it's just a few inches you may be better just making slight adjustments on where you hold the pole?

Thanks for the reply Andy. 2 top kits are about 1 foot shorter than the other 2 and the cupping kit is 1 foot longer than all the top kits! Not an ideal situation as it's harder to cut down the cupping kit I believe. That is a good shout though. Maybe best marking the pole as to where to hold it.

Occasional User

Top kits can all be cut to the same length to match cupping kit as Ptfe bushes are available in many sizes. When using lighter l
    elastic place a small rubber bead on to stop elastic disappearing into top kit.
    as a safe guide try to measure the diameter the kits need to be cut too and visit shop to see what bush is available, you can now get internal and external bushes.