Thread: Cray proof rig

Site Regular

Default Cray proof rig

Hi lads,

I'm fishing a lake in France for the first time next month, it's got a big cray problem and Iv not really come across a lake with many crays in it before. Looking for rig suggestions if anyone has any. The bottom is clay I have been told, not much weed or chod so I was just going to use a standard bottom bait rig using stiff coated braid and a short hair. Hard bottom bait shrink wrapped. Anyone any better suggestions?

Cheers

Coated hooklink or mono.
    Don't use anything they could tangle...as they will do !
    Wrap the baits.I prefer the korda stuff just cut it the size to suit your hookbait size.if they are really bad then double wrap it.it looks ****....but it still works.

Keep the bait going in little n often..
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

I would use a stiff mono or stiff coated braid on a german rig (bottom bait) or ronnie rig (pop up) so there is no chance of the hair tangling and they will re-set themselves. Use soaked cork balls or air dry some bottom baits and wrap them as jeames said.

There was a thread somewher about using wooden balls, drilling them out and filling with paste so there was more attraction and the crays couldn't eat them. Cant remember what forum the thread was on though!

Dont use any tungston products they love the stuff and keep any rubber (beads / rig sleeves etc.. ) to a minimum as well.

do a search , been covered on here loads over the years

There is several threads on it, the wooden balls drilled, soaked and packed with paste inside is one of the better ideas i've come across on here. Heavy coated braid for me, it will crush flat and take little damage unlike harder solid materials like mono which crush and kink which can affect both the rigs presentation and strength.

Site Regular

Cheers lads

A stack rig of floating and sinking corn/maize, soaked in your loosefed boilie flavour dip
    The first rule of Baitboat Club is you don't talk about Baitboat Club!!!

i have been on a cray lake this year. Boilies last a matter of hours, tigers last all night but still get attacked, plenty of free offerings as they munch through it pretty quickly. I get up at first light and re-cast as a matter of course now.

Just got hold of some wooden balls off E-bay, drilled them out and they are now soaking ready for my next session.

The rays love hair stops and putty, they have a fascination with anything plastic, so try and use as little as possible on your rigs. Standard hair rigs are the way forward.

I have had crays destroy every rig imaginable including zig rigs. Nothing is safe from them but carp also love them.

Re-casting and re-baiting regulalry is must if they are really active.

If you need some weight on your rigs use the lead out of some leadcore and as cooperman said avaoid putty and rubber / plastic if you can.