Thread: Red Kites Reading

Default Red Kites Reading

I was working in and around Reading yesterday and couldn't believe the amount of Red Kites i saw. At one point there were over 15 floating just above the houses in Sherfield and i saw them in Loverock Road industrial estate. Do they go in peoples gardens? What are they eating?
    Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?

Site Regular

They were introduced on an estate near Stokenchurch some years ago and have since thrived. My neighbour puts scraps of meat out, there have been at least 22 birds all swooping down for a free meal, other that that they eat road kill etc.

They're everywhere on the M4 and M40 corridors, plus there's plenty of carrion on the smaller surrounding roads to help them thrive.
    Lots of love

Rob x

I work next to one the original release sites near Rockingham, watch them on my lunch break, loads of 'em. Awesome sights.
    They're scavengers, they'll eat all sorts. Often see them following the ploughs round the fields eating the worms and other goodies that get dug up.

They're bloody everywhere around here, loads of them. I used to love catching a glimpse of the odd one, now it seems we are over run, still good to watch though. I drive down Wood Lane in Iver most days and there are always 15-20 swirling over the lakes there.

Just got back from hols in north devon and saw quite a few both there and on the back on the M5 & M4.

Also saw 3 peregrine falcons in devon, one had a kill in its talons and the other two were trying to take it off it, they were making a terrible racket, I assume it was an adult and he/she was perhaps teaching his /her two young to hunt, ive never seen behaviour like that before, wish id got a picture.

Also saw a little egret wading the shoreline of the torridge estuary at Appledore, never seen one of those before in the wild.
    playingforchange.com

I have seen them in many places but the one over the M27/M3 junction was a surprise.

There are Red Kits in Kent. Me & the Duck Billed Hedgehog sat watching two of them from the garden of his farm about 2 weeks ago. The we saw a Sparrow hawk, then a Kestral and lastly a Buzzard. We are talking about Orpington, Bexley area. Also saw one flying around Longford Lake, Chipstead last week
    Angling Trust Number 55370

Quote Originally Posted by wrongrod View Post
    There are Red Kits in Kent. Me & the Duck Billed Hedgehog sat watching two of them from the garden of his farm about 2 weeks ago. The we saw a Sparrow hawk, then a Kestral and lastly a Buzzard. We are talking about Orpington, Bexley area. Also saw one flying around Longford Lake, Chipstead last week
    I see plenty of sparrow hawks even taking birds off my garden feeders on a regular basis and seen buzzards quite often too although from my garden they are always very high in the air.

Never seen a red kite here though but will defo be looking out for them, cheers Mark.
    playingforchange.com

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    Love to get pics like that in my back garden, what food do they put out? My luck id just get a garden full of rats
    playingforchange.com