Thread: Photos to mac

Default Photos to mac

Have a Nikon D3300 and a Mac book air

Been transferring photos etc from different sd cards for my camera to the Mac book no problems for ages.

Now randomly I can't transfer the last lot as it says the format is not supported. It's the last 138 photos shot on my youngest birthday. The only thing I can see that's different is there are in RAW setting not normal/auto as I've been playing around with the settings of late.

Would this make a difference and make the Mac not support them?

Is there a way of changing the format on the camera itself???
    live life well

Elite (Silver)

Nikon Raw files have the suffix NEF at the end of the filename.

You should have got Nikon ViewNX 2 software with the camera, that will allow you to view and print the files from your Mac (assuming the software is Mac compatible) but you won't be able to view them in any other program until the raw files are convert to another format.

I believe there is a built-in raw converter on the Nikon you have which will allow you to convert the file to the jpeg format, you will then be able to see the pics in any program that can show photos.
    You need to have a look through the camera's manual to see how you do it.

To get the very best quality I always take raw files on my Canon digital cameras and then convert them in photoshop but I also set the camera up to take a jpeg at the same time so that I may view them in iPhoto or Preview on my Mac before I have processed them.

I believe you can also take a jpeg and a raw file together on your camera btw.
    I came, I saw, I played conkers.

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at it over the weekend and report back. Thanks again
    live life well