Thread: Canon G5X

Site Regular

Default Canon G5X

Evening chaps.

Has anyone got one of these as a main fishing camera..? I'm swayed more towards it than the jump to an DSLR now and just wondered how you get on with evening/night shots as one of the only negatives I can find in reviews is it's ability to shoot in low light conditions.

Appreciate any replys.
    Stew.

Can't speak for the G5X fella but I have the G1X II and Tutti on here has the G7X II and they both yield great results. My G1X is fantastic in low light.

Site Regular

Nice one Yonny.. i had checked out both of the above but really wanted a full articulating screen as apposed to the tilt screen to still use my canon flash gun.

Ah I get ya...
    The G5X gets a 78% silver award on dpreview which is about as good as any compact gets. It has the same sensor and lens as the G7X so I'd expect it to be a fantastic camera.

Site Regular

Cheers mate.. think I will get one ordered.

How did you get on stew bob?

Sorry I missed this, but i've not been on this cack hole of a forum for a while because of all these bloody pop ups etc.

I love mine and it produces fantastic daytime pics. I've had mine for a year and still not caught a carp after dark so can't answer the other part.

Incedently, although not cheap, I bought a Nissan i40 flash to go with it. It's not cheap but it's lovely and compact and I use it with my Canon dSLR too so it's not too extravagant a purchase
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/nissi...FWe77QodwHcLLA
    The first rule of Baitboat Club is you don't talk about Baitboat Club!!!

Site Regular

Yes I bought one Tutti and I am Very pleased with it. Feels lovely in the hand and got some good shots on opening day last Friday with it.Really pleased and it's a real jump in every aspect from my old G11.

Have you had any after dark carp - how were the shots? Care to share on here/Facebook/PM

Site Regular

It's a dawn to dusk water so not yet Tutti..
    I am however having some issues with the camera loosing focus.. I have always used the self timer mode on my canons and carried on with the g5x... I have it set to 30 second delay and then 6 shots, seems with the G5x though when I press the shutter and shuffle back to the fish I'm getting a lot of slightly out of focus shots. I'm guessing it's where the camera is focusing on me being right in front of the camera (to press down the shutter) and moving back.. (only a ft or so) it's loosing focus.??
    Any ideas?

Yup, Yonny will say the same thing when he sees this - you need an Intervalometer. It plugs into the side of the camera. It allows you to set up as many shots as you like, set a time delay to give you time to pick the fish up, then as many shots as you set with an interval between them set by you too. It refocuses each shot

I just looked and couldn't see any specifically for the G5X but if you type into Ebay search 'Intervalometer Canon" and if it doesn't say it in the description anywhere, email the seller to confirm before buying

That'll sort it out

Site Regular

Cheers Tutti... never thought I'd need one with the self time option but seems I best get myself one!!
    Some shots have kept focus but others when I crop them you can see they are out.

Site Regular

Can you see what I mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Site Regular

And this one seems ok?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best bit of kit you can buy Stew. One thing i've found over the years though is that for instance, that first shot, i'd guarantee that it focused, and then you moved slightly closer or farther away without realising.

I set my intervalometer to take shots every second so there's not too much time for me to be shifting about at all. Plus you can crank out half a dozen of each side pretty easily and get some decent ones

Site Regular

Lovely.. thanks for the heads up on that mate.
    Do you set your focus on One Shot AF or Servo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttifrutti View Post
    Yup, Yonny will say the same thing when he sees this - you need an Intervalometer.
    Yes I will!! Best 10 quid I ever spent!

Quote Originally Posted by stewbob View Post
    Do you set your focus on One Shot AF or Servo?
    I set mine on one shot AF.