Thread: Rod Repairs/Alterations

Default Rod Repairs/Alterations

I notice that a lot of Rod Builders will only do work on their own Blanks and will not touch repairs or alterations. Was looking at having some Cork Handles and different whippings along with some names on my Century rods. Anyone used or can recommend a good builder who would undertake the work. Thanks in advance.

Site Connoisseur

I found the same when I wanted cork handles putting on AKN's. The only rod builder I contacted who would do them was Roger Hurst and a lovely job he made of them.
    BCSG

Site Connoisseur

Whereabouts are you based Molly ?

I am in Devon, i was looking at Costwold Rods as they do the work and they are based near Swindon which isn't too far away in the car. They do state however that it can be quite expensive as they have to strip and re-build, for instance full corks are around 100 bucks per blank.

Sounds like a good builder Porter, what was the cost mate

Site Connoisseur

Roger charged me 60 per butt section. Work included: new 40mm butt ring, carbon line clip, Fuji reel seat, s/steel collars, cork handle and a Free Spirit butt cap.
    Roger is based near Melton Mowbray and has a Facebook page, RH Rods.
    All the best.
    Nige.
    BCSG

Mate that sounds a bargain, might give him a bell, cheers Nige

Beginner Member

Give Century a ring. They do repairs and custom stuff too. I had 3 Black Max fitted with replacement spigots for under 60 including return shipping. A good few years before, I broke the top 6 inches off one and Century built a whole new section and whipped on the eyes.

Try Steve White, I think he rebuilt 3 sets of rods for me so far. I have now with him 3 hi's for new cork handles, minima rings etc.You can find him on FB https://www.facebook.com/stevewhiterods/ and see some of his work and feedback. He has decent prices as well.
    He is in Kent.

Thanks mate, just pinged him a message, his work looks spot on.

Elite (Bronze)

Tony parker worth a call ! Had a few rods done by him over the years . Normally only does rebuilds Oct- March as he's too busy with fresh builds but worth a shout .

Great stuff guys, I've been in touch with Steve White as Roger didn't get back to me, his work looks fantastic and his prices are also very reasonable, think i will need a decent courier next to get the blanks to him in one piece, now is it worth sending the whole rods or just the butt sections? silly question i know but what have you guys done

Thanks for the advice chaps, I've had a few responses from the various builders with most on full throttle with work. The rods are off today to Steve White Custom rods, 2-3 weeks turn around, looking forward to a rebuild, the old battle sticks needed a treat.

Site Regular

Hi Molly

Out of interest how did your build go? I’m thinking of getting my diawas rebuilt.

Thanks in advance