Thread: Reels for piking

Frequent User

Default Reels for piking

Hi

Just after people's opinions as to what would be a good reel to use for deadbaiting for pike on a lake? Do people just use whatever they have about or is there anyone that just uses specific reels for this?

Thanks for any info!

Any medium sized reel will do as long as it's got a decent clutch. The vast majority of pikers will use a drop off indicator so a baitrunner isn't necessary and they don't cast that far so the reel doesn't need to be large.So, I would say buy what you can afford or use what you've already got and unless you happen to buy a duff reel then you shouldn't experience any problems.
    Neil

Walton on Thames PAC - www.waltonpac.org.uk
    Thames Anglers Conservancy - www.rivertac.org

Angling Trust No 43330

Site Regular

Agree with Neil. Any half decent reel should be OK for deadbaiting, unless you want to be fishing at extreme range, which is usually not required. I use Billy's backbiter alarms with an open bail arm even though I am still using my old 6010 baitrunners

Almost anything of suitable size and with a reasonable clutch will do me nicely. I do like to have a baitrunner, which I use a lot when roaming lives, or floatfishing and roving. Currenltly, I have some ancient bite and runs, some 4000aero baitrunners and my Daiwa Elbelms get pressed into service occasionally...

I use the cheap wychwood black big pits, the bigger spools seem to make the heads on micron p's really sensitive
    Up the saints, lol