Thread: Which line?

Default Which line?

I've been off the forums for a good few years now so got a bit out of touch with tackle etc. I've been happily using Gardner GR60 mainline for all my needs and X-line for close in stuff. Now I need to re spool my reels and GR60 has become redundant - I'm guessing any stock lying around is rather old.
    So can anyone advice me on what is a good replacement for GR60 - I'm looking for something with similar characteristics. Ive read the adverts for Korda Subline, Nash NXT, Insight GR60X and Gardner GT80 and GT-HD but would prefer to hear from people who have actually used them.
    Also although I still like X-Line, I'm wondering if anyone else has made a similarly good product at a more reasonable price?

Site Connoisseur

GR60 is still available.
    BCSG

Quote Originally Posted by PORTER View Post
    GR60 is still available.
    I notice it was still available but is it still in production? I understood what is available is generally old stock as it has been replaced by GR60X ? Maybe I've been mislead on that - I don't know?

Elite (Gold)

You may find lines have improved if it's been a long time since you last looked. Some very good flouro available now although it can be expensive.
    Old enough to retire. poor enough not to.

Berkley cm90

Elite (Gold)

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Welham View Post
    Berkley cm90
    Or 600 flouro.
    Old enough to retire. poor enough not to.

Site Regular

I've been using Gardner Pro Light Blend, it sinks ok, is fairly supple and has good abrasion, had fish go through pads, reeds and round a scaffold pole all without incident, a no nonsense line for general use at a decent price. I have always done well with this sort of colour line, especially in the edge.

Fairly sure as already stated GR60 is still in production. The rumour it was going out of production is about 5 years old now.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Site Regular

I've used GR60 since Leslies first marketed it in the 90's, and have tried several other lines in between in search of "the ultimate", only to realise I already had it.

Apart from very long range (where I use braid due to the stretch) GR60 in 12lb is my perfect line.

Quote Originally Posted by yumbolt View Post
    I've been using Gardner Pro Light Blend, it sinks ok, is fairly supple and has good abrasion, had fish go through pads, reeds and round a scaffold pole all without incident, a no nonsense line for general use at a decent price. I have always done well with this sort of colour line, especially in the edge.
    Same here - used the 12, 15 and XM versions and found them all spot on. They come out very close to the performance of the other Gardner lines in their testing and are cheap enough to replace much more regularly.

I was an avid GR60 user for many seasons and then moved away from it as it was getting hard to source. Having tried many lines after, for me the ESP Syncro Loaded XT gets my vote, it sinks, it casts, its knots and is very tough.
    You've never had enough until you've had some more clungetastic....

As has been said GR60 is still available but having switched to Gardner's hydro-tuff a couple of seasons ago due to a recommendation on here I haven't looked back. It's like a modern version of GR60 but casts better, knots better and is still completely bomb-proof. I would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago View Post
    As has been said GR60 is still available but having switched to Gardner's hydro-tuff a couple of seasons ago due to a recommendation on here I haven't looked back. It's like a modern version of GR60 but casts better, knots better and is still completely bomb-proof. I would highly recommend it.
    Another vote for Hydro-tuff, brilliant line
    Any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming

Thanks for all the advice, good to hear real anglers opinions rather than just reading the adverts.
    Loads of lines there I've never heard of so will now check them out.
    Thanks.

GR60 is still 100% a current line - with several shipments coming in a year.

I dream of owning Noddy's car.