Thread: Nikon 5200 night shots

Default Nikon 5200 night shots

Can anyone help me with regards how I can set this camera up for decent night shots. No matter what I try I can't get it to take a shot at night it just refuses to work. I am no photography expert in fact a complete novice so ant help appreciated.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Site Regular

Is there a an illuminating light that comes on when the camera tries to focus?

Site Regular

It is called the AF (auto focus) assist light. Check that this is switched on. If it is dark, the focus will struggle to work, zooming back and forth without being able to lock.

if you are talking about shooting in the dark for scenics then you will need a tripod and put the camera in bulb mode. use a remote to trigger the shutter. you will need to manual focus as the camera cannot focus on what it cant see (usually if you focus to infinity then come back a bit that wont be far off). It really is a case of trial and error. exposure times can vary from a few seconds to several minutes depending on how dark it is. Start off trying in 10 second increments and go from there.

Hi guys thanks for the tips. It's for fish shots and will be self takes so always on a tripod with remote. No I don't think the AF assist light comes on. I will try and find out how to turn it on.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!

Arrrgh still not working. AF illuminator is on. I am doing self takes and it won't focus with the remote in the dark. Need to rethink this one.

Site Regular

Have you got the live view turned on?
    It won't focus in live view in the dark.
    R.V.L.F

Quote Originally Posted by HarryAlun View Post
    Have you got the live view turned on?It won't focus in live view in the dark.
    You mean the screen ? Yes as I turn it towards myself so I can see to set up the shot. But thinking about it I can't see anything as it's dark lol

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    You mean the screen ? Yes as I turn it towards myself so I can see to set up the shot. But thinking about it I can't see anything as it's dark lol
    That will be your problem then mate. Turn the screen off so your using the viewfinder, it just won't focus in the dark if you are using the screen.

Still have the screen facing you as each shot will be displayed on it for a couple of seconds, it's enough time to see it and line up the next shot better. It's the only way of doing it in the dark but once your used to it it's not a big deal at all.
    R.V.L.F

Sorted thanks gents as suggested more it or screen turned off and auto mode.