Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redmire

Its
    live life well

Quote Originally Posted by Edna Birch View Post
    No chance, why buy something and split it up? What the lake is or was is irrelevant if you dont fish and most people with money (i mean people with proper money) highly value privacy which is a difficult purchase on this tiny island.

I'm sure that there will be a little band (some of which post on here) that will do their up most to secure some sort of access for themselves and themselves only come what may.
    I purchased Little Moulsham from Cemex, who had originally sold it to the golf club, they only wanted the golfing side of things, and split the lake off and sold it to recoup some of their initial outlay. Just saying.

Until we know who purchases the estate, you won't know what their intentions are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
    I would love to get hold of it, get some pure strain Leney's in there, get rid of the ghosties, and get it back to somewhere near its prime, but that wouldn't make much money, so this would be a project of passion, rather than a business.
    or get in contact with Mike Wilmott and his Black Mirror specials which have Redmire heritage?

Oh and Coops is correct about land owners offering whole sites for sale, but actually split the site up afterwards....its a way to recoup some money and pass the upkeep on to someone else.
    from the skool of hard knocks and the university of life

Occasional User

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    or get in contact with Mike Wilmott and his Black Mirror specials which have Redmire heritage?

Oh and Coops is correct about land owners offering whole sites for sale, but actually split the site up afterwards....its a way to recoup some money and pass the upkeep on to someone else.
    That's a very good idea! Just hope that if somebody is in a position to take it on, they do it without the need to make financial gain. It needs to be rested and respected.

Fennel's Traditional Angling Blog. Have a look.
    Looks as though he's secured Redmire.
    Tom Craven
    There's more to the future than meets the eye.

[QUOTE=FISHSKI;2329786]Fennel's Traditional Angling Blog. Have a look.
    Looks as though he's secured it:

"Redmire Pool is up for sale?
    Have you heard the news? Redmire Pool is up for sale. The good news is that I've secured the water.

I’ve recorded the video above to explain how I was able to purchase the most iconic carp water in Britain – and share it with 20 of my friends.

Here’s how it came about:

I’d heard rumours for a while that the Richardsons, who own the estate, were putting everything up for sale. They’d initially wanted to keep hold of Redmire, but the draw of including the pool within the sale of the wider estate must have proved irresistible for the agent responsible for the sale.

News broke in Angling Times, with a great deal of speculation about who would purchase Redmire Pool. Those in the know also wondered whether the imminent restoration works to the lake would still go ahead. (Redmire urgently requires large-scale restoration work to remove 6-8 feet of silt and restore the lake bed to its original profile, remove the fallen oak tree, and net out all the rogue carp spawned as a result of stocking the lake with ghost carp).

The good thing for we Friends is that by the time the news appeared in the newsagents, I’d already secured the water.

How much did it cost? An Englishman doesn’t usually talk of such things, but given the historic nature of the purchase, I can confirm that I got it for 4.95 – a lot of money, I know, but it was an investment to preserve something fragile and to ensure swift transition to me.

And what will I do with it? My goal is not to hoard the water but to share it with friends. Twenty of them to be exact. And in honour of the original handwritten version of Fennel’s Journal, which was sent to twenty friends, I have notified each of them by letter this week. Upon receiving their letter, which is written in very special ink, they will know that they have shared ownership of the most special carp water in history and responsibility for its safekeeping.

My request for the lake? That the restorations go ahead and the pool then be allowed to lie fallow for a number of years. It’s been fished hard for so many decades. The fish, wildlife and (especially) the bankside vegetation need time to recover.

Giving everything a rest will also allow some of Redmire’s mystery to return. So when the first casts are eventually made, the anglers might savour the same excitement as experienced by the Carp Catchers’ Club in the 1950s. They’ll be back pioneering at carp angling’s most famous pool, inspiring another generation of anglers with 'the romance of the possible'.

Redmire has given us so much. It’s time for us to take care of it.

If you want to know more, you'll have to watch the video...

Fennel"
    Tom Craven

Frequent User

Lol. Did you watch the video? Fennel now proudly owns gbp4.95 worth of Redmire water... I do share his dream of its future, of course..

Oh, I've seen the video alright!
    Wish he'd waited for two months before letting us know though!! Maybe the beginning of April perhaps
    Tom Craven

Site Regular

I must admit Fennel had me fooled for a while there. Most amusing. But yes, more seriously, he is right. Restoration followed by a long period of recovery with no fishing would be beneficial for the future health of the pool. Vital I'd have thought. It will be interesting to see how things develop.