Thread: Shooting in RAW

Default Shooting in RAW

Fellas.

Do you really need decent software such as Lightroom to make shooting in RAW worthwhile or is there anything free available?
    Would I be better off shooting in RAW and editing White Balance in a free package (or even standard Windows/Microsoft software) OR setting WB on the camera and living with it?

I pretty much only use my camera for trophy shots (unless something really unusual or special comes along) and the waters I fish aint exactly prolific - therefore I don't want to spend the license fee for Lightroom to use it just a handful of times per year.

No expert so answers in Leymans appreciated.

Ian

All day and every day Ian - I cannot tell you how many under/over exposed shots i've saved by shooting in raw.There is one out there that people use, called Gimp (yup, it really is), that they swear by - I found it a little difficult to get into but i'm a middled aged codger with fading brain cells. There may be others out there but yes, shoot in raw mate
    The first rule of Baitboat Club is you don't talk about Baitboat Club!!!

Aha, should've known you'd be the one to ask fella.
    My mate showed me the exposure compensation feature on my G1X, didn't even know it existed!! It's comes in handy but I'd much prefer to get the real thing vs. what my camera thinks is the real thing.
    My issue is more with colour/WB - the last couple of fish I've had have been real good'n's, warranting water shots. The water shots have been pukka, they show the real colours of the fish, nice rich dark colours. The bank shots have been a little off, with almost a violet tinge to them - the WB is clearly not right. They look almost like different fish.

Hence why I'm looking into RAW shooting......

I'll check out Gimp. As you know I'm no expert when it comes to photography so I'll likely struggle to figure it out myself but it's gotta be worth a shot.

Download Gimp then take some photos in raw outside, pointing towards different light situations, a few landscapes and a few portraits.Then load the raws up to Gimp and start messing with sliders. You should see some interesting differences.I'm sure there will be youtube clips too

That's a plan Ian. Will download it next week when I get some time.
    Cheers.

Shoot both RAW and JPEG. It uses more memory but a couple of extra cards is always good practice anyway.
    RAW can save a shot in ways JPEG never will.
    Lightzone is another freebie though I've not used it.
    Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

John Maynard Keynes

Good shout Carver - I always shoot raw & jpeg. 99 times out of 100, i'll edit the Raw file though. A few occassions, maybe taking holiday snaps when I can't be bothered to mess about edited loads, i'll just keep the jpegs

I only shoot in raw, once i download the imgaes i batch convert using DPP to jpeg
    Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away

HW100T .177 Hawke Airmax 8-32X50

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper_al View Post
    I only shoot in raw, once i download the imgaes i batch convert using DPP to jpeg
    Without editing Flip?

Somethimes if they need tweeking.... most sites wont allow raw images so convert them to share
    Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away

HW100T .177 Hawke Airmax 8-32X50

My camera seems to take ages to get the image saved to the card before it's ready for another shot when using RAW. Which is fine when doing trophy shots as a short pause isn't a problem. But if I need a few shots quickly it becomes an issue. Is there anything I can do to speed things up without dropping down the quality?
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

I would say that the best option is to buy a card with a quicker write speed, the quicker the better. The raw files are so large these days that it does sometimes take too long when you need a quick burst of shots

I've been playing around all day with settings to see if I can speed it up. It seems that if I use the view finder to frame shots then it 'recovers' very quickly. If I use the display screen then it slows right down. Odd.

I have class 10 cards with write speeds up to 80mbps. I thought that was pretty quick?
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

I upped mine when I bought my Canon G5X as they seemed to lag a bit. I bought a 64gb 280 write speed one. Even that can lag a little

Just for those that want to shoot in RAW as I do, here's a before and after - I'm sure there is plenty of software that'll do the job just fine - this is done in Lightroom - I just love the way I can bring the colour and vibrance back to an image that is lost through my lack of actual camera skills - I always try and bring it back to how I remember it when I took the photo but just edit/sharpen enough to make it zing -

So having (finally) caught my first few carp of the year I followed some of the advice on here and did the shots in RAW and JPEG.
    As stated previously I wasn't quite 100% happy with the auto WB yielded by my Canon so this time I loaded the RAW shots and had a fiddle in post. Well I'm glad I did, because the results are simply awesome - the colours are so, so true to the conditions on the day it's almost unbelievable. I didn't realise how far out the WB was until I corrected it. They're like different photos!
    They look so much more vibrant. If I was 99% happy with my shots before before I'm now 199% happy with them.
    Thanks for the advice boys, mission accomplished.

You're welcome Ian - RAW is the future